strathspey Archive: "Remove" [was Quoting]

"Remove" [was Quoting]

Message 23167 · Miriam L. Mueller · 18 Oct 2000 20:18:44 · Top

Like others who sent a "Remove" message, I was hoping that the number of
such responses who convey to the originator that the Strathspey net is
NOT a place for ads.
Miriam Mueller
San Francisco

"Remove" [was Quoting]

Message 23168 · Anselm Lingnau · 18 Oct 2000 20:27:19 · Top

Miriam L. Mueller <mimimueller@juno.com> writes:

> Like others who sent a "Remove" message, I was hoping that the number of
> such responses who convey to the originator that the Strathspey net is
> NOT a place for ads.

As far as I can tell the message in question doesn't advertise anything
except ball tickets for Scottish dances. Therefore it is not in any way
different from the dozens of announcements (or advertisements, as the
case may be) that are posted to the Strathspey list every year.

I agree that T. T. E. might as well leave off the privacy and
confidentiality blurb, in which case it would have been very difficult
indeed to tell this announcement from any other vanilla ball
announcement that appears on Strathspey. In all fairness I don't have an
issue with this; in fact I would find it difficult to decide why this
announcement should be bad when ball announcements in general are good
-- they are even explicitly mentioned as desirable content in this
list's `charter'.

Anselm
The waltz is a dance of quite too loose a character, and unmarried ladies
should refrain from it [...] Very young married ladies may be allowed to waltz
if it is very seldom.
-- The Gentleman and Lady's Book of Politeness (Boston, 1833)

"Remove" [was Quoting]

Message 23172 · Mike Briggs · 18 Oct 2000 23:33:50 · Top

Somebody please tell me why Toby's announcement is an "ad" when all of
the other dance announcements are something other than "ads."

Mike
Norma Briggs Voice: 608 835 0914
Michael J. Briggs Fax: 608 835 0924
BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
1519 Storytown Rd Oregon WI 53575-2521 USA
HTTP://BRIGGSLAW.HOMESTEAD.COM

"Remove" [was Quoting]

Message 23173 · Richard L. Walker · 18 Oct 2000 23:48:00 · Top

Thank you - I was wondering exactly the same thing. Person A announces a
dance and it is OK. Toby announces a dance and it is "How dare you?"
Strange. I think it arises from the disclaimers, but one never knows.

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA