strathspey Archive: The Montgomeries' (Montgomerie's) Rant

The Montgomeries' (Montgomerie's) Rant

Message 23005 · Marjorie McLaughlin · 2 Oct 2000 04:29:32 · Top

Ron,

In the Castle Menzies MS the name of the dance appears as "The
Montgomerie's Rant a Strathspey Reele", but in all of the RSCDS
publications it appears as "The Montgomeries' Rant". Presuming dance
programmes are referencing the modern published version then the latter
spelling would be correct, but the former can be cited as historically
"correct".

The writer of the MS over-wrote, or corrected, in several of the dance
descriptions, and one is reminded of dancers at modern events
assiduously scribbling dance instructions as the teacher/briefer is
recapping. The handwriting certainly becomes more "relaxed" in the last
few dances of the MS, e.g. The Bleu (or is it Blew) Ribon? And he was
certainly not pleased with the first description of "The infare" (at
least I think that's what's beneath the tantalizing scratches over the
paragraph just above the legible version of "The infare or Will ye marry
Kitty").

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego, CA

ron.mackey@mail.btinternet.com wrote:

> > When the RSCDS published Montgomerie's Rant, it was already
> > a "dead" dance, and thus reconstructed from the hand written
> > text of the Castle Menzies MS, which contains no musical
> > scores.
>
> Hi,
> As far as I am aware the RSCDS publication is of the dance 'The
> Montgomeries' Rant. It is how I have always thought of it and it
> is how it is shown in my books. I must admit that my original Book
> 10 fell apart long ago and the current one is fairly recent.
> To get the title right is just one of my 'things' . :)
>
> Cheers, Ron :)
>
> < 0 Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
> 'O> Mottingham,
> /#\ London. UK.
> l>
> Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

The Montgomeries' (Montgomerie's) Rant

Message 23010 · Rosemary Coupe · 3 Oct 2000 01:44:54 · Top

>In the Castle Menzies MS the name of the dance appears as "The
>Montgomerie's Rant a Strathspey Reele", but in all of the RSCDS
>publications it appears as "The Montgomeries' Rant". Presuming dance
>programmes are referencing the modern published version then the latter
>spelling would be correct, but the former can be cited as historically
>"correct".
>
>The writer of the MS over-wrote, or corrected, in several of the dance
>descriptions, and one is reminded of dancers at modern events
>assiduously scribbling dance instructions as the teacher/briefer is
>recapping. The handwriting certainly becomes more "relaxed" in the last
>few dances of the MS, e.g. The Bleu (or is it Blew) Ribon? And he was
>certainly not pleased with the first description of "The infare" (at
>least I think that's what's beneath the tantalizing scratches over the
>paragraph just above the legible version of "The infare or Will ye marry
>Kitty").
>
>Marjorie McLaughlin
>San Diego, CA

If only those 18th-century writers of manuscripts had known they were
writing for 20th-21st century detectives, how much more careful they would
have been! But the informal "aide-memoire" MSS of this type do give us
exactly the sense of immediacy that Marjorie describes. The formal
presentation MSS like David Young's may be easier to interpret, but they
don't tell us anything about the recorder's attitude to the dance.

Actually, Marjorie's comment reminded me of a delightful moment during her
class on the Menzies MS at Fort Worden a couple of weeks ago. We were
discussing the tunes for "Montgomeries' Rant" (see earlier thread) and the
musician, John Taylor, played "Lord Eglintoune" as a strathspey. It may be
an indifferent reel, but in strathspey tempo, played by an expert, it was
magnificent. We can't, of course, link this with the MS description of the
dance as "a strathspey reele" since the tunes were chosen by the RSCDS, but
what a pity!

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver

The Montgomeries' (Montgomerie's) Rant

Message 23011 · Richard L. Walker · 3 Oct 2000 01:56:32 · Top

I say the same thing about the old census takers. I think many of them were
capable of doing 3 or 4 pages when their pens were completely out of ink.

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA