strathspey Archive: The Milltimber Jib

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22101 · Dianna Shipman · 15 Aug 2000 10:18:20 · Top

Does anyone have a description of "The Milltimber Jib" they're willing to
share for a dance tonight? Dance Data says deviser unknown so I don't even
know where to look for it. Any help appreciated.

Dianna

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22104 · Mland121 · 15 Aug 2000 19:09:33 · Top

Diana

The Milltimber Jig is one of ten dances published by RSCDS for the Millennium
Collection, Book 41; which I just received late yesterday afternoon. I will
be taking the books for members to the Social tonight and mail to you
tomorrow if you are not at dancing tonight. I have the music for Milltimber
Jig and have looked for the directions for several months. The dance was
devised by Anne Mackenzie, Aberdeen Branch. It is a simple little jig that I
thought folks would enjoy - always looking for new dances. By the way, the
first dance in Book 41 is Pelorus Jack. Edinburgh is really coming into this
century. For the ten dances, there is also music included in the book.

Hope to see you tonight.

Moon

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22112 · Alan Paterson · 16 Aug 2000 10:00:08 · Top

Mland121@aol.com wrote:

> Diana
>
> <snip chat about Book 41> Edinburgh is really coming into this
> century.

While I agree that, at first sight, Book 41 looks like a very good thing, is it
really appropriate to knock the Society yet again? Perhaps Book 40 wasn't all
that useful for the majority, but, in my opinion, numbers 35 to 39 all contain
some top-class dances.

Alan

P.S. Since the century started 99 years ago, perhaps 'even' the RSCDS will have
caught up by now :-)

--
Alan Paterson
Berne, Switzerland

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22118 · Mland121 · 16 Aug 2000 18:25:54 · Top

Alan

I apologize to you and all others who I have offended with my inappropriate
verbiage. I did not in any way mean to knock the Society, in that I have
great respect for what they have done and will do in the future.
Thoughtlessness and hurrying do not make for the best of anything.

Moon

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22119 · eclyde · 16 Aug 2000 19:12:10 · Top

I saw a copy of Book 41 last night at dancing -- not my own copy,
for the Ottawa Branch membership copies (as well as those
of several other Canadian Branches) are stuck in customs, and likely to
remain so for a while.

On a quick read through, the new dances seem very danceable. I was
surprised to see "Pelorus Jack" and "Culla Bay" included -- the original
request for dances to be submitted stated that they were supposed
to have been devised within the previous five years. Pelorus Jack
might have just sneeked in -- it came out in 1994, but Culla Bay
has the date 1992 on it. I like both dances, but it makes me wonder
about the other dances submitted.

I also think that, as well as giving the name of the devisor, the RSCDS
should have put the source, as they do for the old dances.

Eric

The Milltimber Jib

Message 22121 · Noel Chavez · 17 Aug 2000 00:14:03 · Top

As is usual with Summer School, we danced the Book 41 dances the week I was
there. They are all do-able, although in selecting one last week for a
potentially lower level social session (with no time/provision for teaching
a dance in the usual RSCDS way), it was harder to select one that would fit
the group skills.

Noel Chavez
Chicago