strathspey Archive: Off topic - Danish Folk Dance

Off topic - Danish Folk Dance

Message 22076 · Bryan McAlister · 10 Aug 2000 14:52:59 · Top

Have just returned from a great trip to Aalborg, with lots of
traditional tunes and a few of the dances. Does any one know of a
source (in English) of instructions for Danish Folk Dances?
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849
Please note new FAX number - UK 0870 052 7625 International 44 870 052 7625

Off topic - Danish Folk Dance

Message 22093 · S.M. Gent · 12 Aug 2000 19:12:57 · Top

Bryan McAlister wrote:
>=20
> Have just returned from a great trip to Aalborg, with lots of
> traditional tunes and a few of the dances. Does any one know of a
> source (in English) of instructions for Danish Folk Dances?
> Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS

Hi Bryan,

It might be an idea to get in touch with some of the folk from
Kirkliston,as I know they have links with a Danish group.=20
Alternatively, some folks from Dunedin are going to Denmark the weekend
after next, so I could always ask them to pick up something for you.

Se=F3naid

Off topic - Danish Folk Dance

Message 22094 · Pia Walker · 13 Aug 2000 04:08:12 · Top

Hi

It is good to know that Denmark is such a popular country to visit - Have a
good time to everyone who is going there.

Here is a few words so you can get by:

Hello = hej / dav / go'dav
2 beers = 2 Tuborg
Cheers = Skaal (double aa, pronounced like O in OH)
Shall we dance = skal vi danse
My name is: = mit navn er: ---
I'm hungry = jeg er sulten
I am sorry, I stood on your big toe = Undskyld, men jeg stod paa din
storetaa.
Old Danish Custom = gammel dansk skik (usually nothing on the sort, but
polite foreigners always fall for this expression, and you can do anything
to them) :>)

Lesson one of Pia Walker's on-line Danish for Dancers' courses.

Pia

> Have just returned from a great trip to Aalborg, with lots of
> traditional tunes and a few of the dances. Does any one know of a
> source (in English) of instructions for Danish Folk Dances?
> Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS

Hi Bryan,

It might be an idea to get in touch with some of the folk from
Kirkliston,as I know they have links with a Danish group.
Alternatively, some folks from Dunedin are going to Denmark the weekend
after next, so I could always ask them to pick up something for you.

Seónaid

--
Seonaid Mairi Gent <smg08@students.stir.ac.uk>