strathspey Archive: What will they think of next...

What will they think of next...

Message 22002 · Marilynn Knight · 27 Jul 2000 15:30:23 · Top

I believe Ann McBride just mentioned a source for kilts with cellphone
pockets!!! My reaction would have been/and probably still is "egads!", =
but
for a sight I never expected to see on the SCD dance floor: a woman on =
cellphone in a set!!! As one who increasingly abhors cellphones and =
all
their implications, I was both appalled and shocked. Nevertheless, it =
did
strike a deep funnybone. Wish I could have captured it on a good =
photo.
What a poster!!! Maybe big bucks for RSCDS from a cellphone company's
marketing budget. :-) And lots of new class members. Would we move =
into
the 21st Century? Or would we just be fuddy-duddies on cellphones. =
And
would we welcome that kind of advertising? And so I muse on..... =
Maybe
it's better to remain small in numbers.... And what is our protocol
vis-=E0-vis cellphones on the dancefloor????

Marilynn Latta Knight
Columbia, SC(where the weather has been wonderfully gray and skies have =
even
dropped rain now & then and people may even be thinking the planet is
"cooling".)

What will they think of next...

Message 22004 · Coletta Busse · 27 Jul 2000 21:44:04 · Top

IMHO: cell phones in a set would be EXTREMELY rude.
I could see where it would be a "first time funny", but after that not.
In this modern age at the beginning of concerts and other large gatherings
of people for entertainment the MC requests that all cell phones and pagers
be turned off. So far it hasn't been an issue around here because most folks
have the sense (and consideration of their fellow dancers) to turn the
things off. But it may be that in the future the MC may have to remind
folks. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
Coletta Busse
Milpitas, CA
SF Branch

What will they think of next...

Message 22005 · Lee Fuell · 28 Jul 2000 00:23:03 · Top

IM (not so humble) O, only a very small subset of cell phone users
(such as doctors on call, parents with small children at home with
a babysitter) would even be justified in leaving them turned on
during a dance or dance class. Even then, they should use a cell
phone with a voice mail service so that they can leave it on the
sidelines during a dance or lesson, and return the call after the
dance/lesson finishes. Few things won't wait that long, and if they
won't, the cell-phone-bearer probably shouldn't even be at the
event. A good pager would be better.

I believe, however, most folks who carry a cell phone everywhere
are doing so for rather trivial reasons, like trying to appear trendy.
Coletta is absolutely right; cell phones in a set is unacceptably
rude. Of course, so is chatting in the set while the teacher is
trying to teach, or stepping across the set to talk to one's partner
during a dance, or any of a number of other inconsiderate things I
see all the time. Teachers should correct anyone who does these
things. As Chapter 3 of the RSCDS manual says, teamwork is
essential to proper Scottish Country Dancing. Every member of a
set has an obligation to observe what is happening in the set and
anticipate what is about to take place in order to mantain the
continuous flow of the dance (pg 3.5). Any of the behaviors above
are inconsistent with that obligation.

Opinionatedly yours,

Lee

> IMHO: cell phones in a set would be EXTREMELY rude.
> I could see where it would be a "first time funny", but after that not.
> In this modern age at the beginning of concerts and other large gatherings
> of people for entertainment the MC requests that all cell phones and pagers
> be turned off. So far it hasn't been an issue around here because most folks
> have the sense (and consideration of their fellow dancers) to turn the
> things off. But it may be that in the future the MC may have to remind
> folks. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
> Coletta Busse
> Milpitas, CA
> SF Branch
>

> --
> "Coletta Busse" <cmbusse@hotmail.com>

What will they think of next...

Message 22006 · Rita Hamilton · 28 Jul 2000 00:32:05 · Top

I'd love to see a dance where everyone had a cell phone stuck in their ear. Just
make it a funny dance. (Everyone should get the message then!)
Call it the Cell Phone Polka!

--
May neither your strings nor your spirit ever break,
May your harp and your soul always be in tune.

What will they think of next...

Message 22007 · SnowshoeTS · 28 Jul 2000 00:49:33 · Top

How about doing it as a conference call and briefing the dance as theyt
dance;-)

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

What will they think of next...

Message 22013 · Alan Paterson · 28 Jul 2000 10:32:15 · Top

(This has no connection to SCD but I can't resist).

I have just come back from a few weeks holiday in Ireland. During the
trip it was blindingly obvious that the latest craze is indeed
cellphones. No teenager was without one. Either using it for a
conversation or pressing furiously at the buttons with an intense look
on the face.

The most striking symptom was at the cinema. I have been well used (and
amused) for many years now to see, as people exit the cinema, how the
smokers wildly grab at their cigarette packs and one can walk into a
wall of smoke which builds within seconds of the film finishing.
The smokers are now being seriously challenged by the number who cannot
wait to whip out their mobiles.

What happens with a smoker who carries one of these devices?

Alan

--
Alan Paterson
Berne, Switzerland

What will they think of next...

Message 22014 · Dewdney Andrew · 28 Jul 2000 10:54:05 · Top

I agree that it's a disease with many people, but there are some who's jobs
require it! Not just the obvious medical people, either. I have to admit to
doing it once or twice, and as a teacher too. But then, whilst I was dancing
the night away, some poor soul was stuck in a half-built hospital trying to
install a medical body scanner to an stupidly short time schedule and he
needed my advice..... my phone can just vibrate and not squawk and tells me
who it is/was, so I can just calmly find a quiet corner and help him out.
Besides, it plays Mary Printy!

But conference calling a dance with hands free mobiles - wonderful for a
complicated dem or those large halls as an MC!
Andrew Dewdney

What will they think of next...

Message 22016 · Colleen Putt · 28 Jul 2000 18:21:49 · Top

I was at a dance once, and we were quite happily dancing "The Saint John
River" when, suddenly, a phone rang. It was for the first man, who was do=
ing
"dance down the middle and up" . He reached into his sporran and answered
it. We all chuckled as he red-facedly spoke into the phone: "Uh, I'm danc=
ing
right now. Yes, dancing. Listen, I can't talk right now, can I call you
back?" He did apologize afterwards, said he'd forgotten to turn it off.
I suppose that emcees will have to remind people to "please turn off your
cellphones" at the beginning of the evening?
Cheers,
Colleen

> I believe Ann McBride just mentioned a source for kilts with cellphone
> pockets!!! My reaction would have been/and probably still is "egads!",
but
> for a sight I never expected to see on the SCD dance floor: a woman on=
> cellphone in a set!!! As one who increasingly abhors cellphones and al=
> their implications, I was both appalled and shocked. Nevertheless, it =
did
> strike a deep funnybone. Wish I could have captured it on a good photo.
> What a poster!!! Maybe big bucks for RSCDS from a cellphone company's
> marketing budget. :-) And lots of new class members. Would we move i=
nto
> the 21st Century? Or would we just be fuddy-duddies on cellphones. An=
> would we welcome that kind of advertising? And so I muse on..... Mayb=
> it's better to remain small in numbers.... And what is our protocol
> vis-=E0-vis cellphones on the dancefloor????
>
> Marilynn Latta Knight
> Columbia, SC(where the weather has been wonderfully gray and skies have
even
> dropped rain now & then and people may even be thinking the planet is
> "cooling".)
>
> --
> Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>

What will they think of next...

Message 22022 · Michael Hanson · 29 Jul 2000 08:57:31 · Top

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Dewdney Andrew wrote:

> But conference calling a dance with hands free mobiles - wonderful for a
> complicated dem or those large halls as an MC!
> Andrew Dewdney

I more envisioned something like the teachers exam meets
The Millionair Show -
Dancer on the floor, forgets what the next move is.
"I'd like to use one of my lifelines - I want to make a call"
Wips out the cell phone

Michael Hanson,
Seattle, WA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, ...

What will they think of next...

Message 22026 · gknox · 29 Jul 2000 20:44:50 · Top

The Cell Phone Jig

Hold the cell phone in your left hand.

1 - 8 1s cast off and back to place
(it would be proper to phone one's partner)
9 - 12 1s & 2s Right Hands Across
13 - 16 1s cross by the right and cast off
17 - 20 1s & 3s Right Hands Across
21 - 24 1s dance half figure of eight around 2s
25 - 32 1s turn first corner by right, pass right shoulder
turn second corner by right, pass right sh to place

Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch

What will they think of next...

Message 22027 · Marilynn Knight · 29 Jul 2000 23:38:35 · Top

And, what would the signature tune be? Lots of busy signals, crackles, and
static?

Marilynn
Columbia, SC where the day is just a properly wonderful summer day anywhere
in the world(almost...). Which is very rare for us'ns...

(it would be proper to phone one's partner)
9 - 12 1s & 2s Right Hands Across
13 - 16 1s cross by the right and cast off
17 - 20 1s & 3s Right Hands Across
21 - 24 1s dance half figure of eight around 2s
25 - 32 1s turn first corner by right, pass right shoulder
turn second corner by right, pass right sh to place

Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch

--
gknox <gknox@gateway.net>

What will they think of next...

Message 22028 · Miriam L. Mueller · 30 Jul 2000 02:08:47 · Top

Looks like great fun, and a potential ceilidh act -
Do you close the cellphone connection in lieu of final bows and curtsies?
(I don't have a cellphone - do you say "hang up?)
Thanks!
Miriam

What will they think of next...

Message 22030 · Dianna Shipman · 30 Jul 2000 13:23:41 · Top

> And, what would the signature tune be?

Pennsylvania 6-5000?

Dianna

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212

What will they think of next...

Message 22031 · Marilynn Knight · 30 Jul 2000 17:23:06 · Top

Dianna, I had the exact same question yesterday for my fiddler son David up
in DC. My knee-jerk reaction is the Dr. Seuss Songbook which no one but me
seems to know or love. I can actually hear one of his songs with lyrics to
match the directions for Cell Phone Jig, and, as Miriam says, it just seems
like marvelous ceilidh material. Maybe a plethora of celiedh acts will
result from this little "cell phone chat"!!!! :)

Marilynn Latta Knight
Columbia, SC, where the weather is still so civilized that I couldn't blame
madness on it, unless it is delayed from the last long dry blast....

From: Dewdney Andrew <Andrew.Dewdney@med.siemens.de>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Date sent: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:21:48 +0200
Send reply to: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Date forwarded: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:35:44 +0200

> excellent, but where is the bit where you wobble all over the place as a
> result of not concentrating and nearly drive off the road?

Cadgers Reels

Message 22077 · Darla Granberry · 10 Aug 2000 18:46:58 · Top

It has been many years since I have danced this dance, now I must teach it.
What path does the first man take to cross over between the two reels?

Thanks, Darla Granberry

Cadgers Reels

Message 22078 · Anselm Lingnau · 10 Aug 2000 19:11:48 · Top

Darla Granberry <dgranberry@iglobal.net> writes:

> It has been many years since I have danced this dance, now I must teach it.
> What path does the first man take to cross over between the two reels?

He crosses over and down from his partner's place to enter the reel on
the men's side in 2nd man's place (2nd man will have started to dance up
in the meantime, so 1st man goes between 2nd man and 3rd man just as if
he had started from his own place). This is essentially similar to what
1st man does in, e.g., Maxwell's Rant. On the other hand, 1st woman goes
straight across the set to enter the reel from the top, similar to what
1st man did at the beginning of the dance.

I think the Manual describes this as well, in the section about
particular dances.

This funny method came up because at the time when the book in question
came out, the (then) SCDS still thought all reels of three were
right-shoulder reels -- the concept of `mirror' reels of three hadn't
yet resurfaced. Otherwise we would probably dance bars 1-16 of Cadgers
in the Canongate essentially like bars 1-16 of Maxwell's Rant. Having
said that, the reels in Cadgers, being fairly unique, can be fun and
`something special', so I don't think they ought to be changed anytime
soon (or indeed ever again).

Anselm
As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty, and I
thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist. This
is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls. -- M. Cartmill

Cadgers Reels

Message 22079 · Simon Scott · 10 Aug 2000 20:40:29 · Top

As a comment on Darla's question and Anselm's answer I have to "sadly" say
that Anselm is right about what he says. I am very sorry that Cadgers Reels
have, more latterly, been made similar to Maxwell's reels. They are not
mirror reels and I am sorry that they have been treated in a similar way.
They "are" parallel reels and I believe they should be danced as such.

I therefore prefer, and dance, that the man returns to his "own" place by
bar 8 by crossing up through the centre and turning in ready to pass 2nd man
right shoulder while the lady crosses the top to her own place ready to
dance similarly with 2nd lady.
This is how I first learned the dance and think is part of it's uniqueness.

These are special reels in a special dance and I am disappointed that they
have now been weakened. I would prefer to have "wonderful" mirror reels and
also "wonderful" parallel reels.

Simon Scott
Vancouver

lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> As an adolescent I aspired to lasting fame, I craved factual certainty,
and I
> thirsted for a meaningful vision of human life -- so I became a scientist.
This
> is like becoming an archbishop so you can meet girls. -- M.
Cartmill

Cadgers Reels

Message 22083 · ferguson · 11 Aug 2000 12:04:01 · Top

Anselm and Marjorie have explained these reels in detail, but
were not quite complete. There are at least three RSCDS
dances with =93Cadgers=94-like reels:
Book 8 no 1 Tulloch Gorm (Strathspey, 32)
Book 9, no 10 Cadgers in the Cannongate (Reel, 32).
Book 14 no 1 Willie with his Tartan Trews (Jig, 40)
Questions :
Does anyone know of any others (RSCDS or not)?
And does anyone know why these are often called =93Cadgers=94
reels, if =93Tulloch Gorm=94 came first? They are indeed a charming
and unique feature of these dances.

As Marjorie pointed out, the reels differ in how 1st C ends on
bar 8. The official wordings are as follows:

- For =93Tulloch Gorm=94 the booklet is silent, but the Manual
(page 7.4) says that on bar 8 =93=85 1L dances straight across
from her partner=92s place to her own =85. 1M crosses back
diagonally from 2nd woman=92s place to his own, and then must
turn round by his right, ready to give R shoulder to 2M for the
next reel=94.
Incidentally, the Manual spells =93Tullochgorm=94, not =93Tulloch
Gorm=94. Can anyone tell us which is preferred?

- For =93Cadgers=94 the booklet says =931st couple finish in partner=92s=

original place=94. The Manual adds (page 7.8) =93In some areas the
reels in bars 1-16 are danced as in Tullochgorm=85=94, which
means that they end on own side. Incidentally, the Manual spells
:.. Canongate =93. Same question. If ending on the opposite
sides, I would expect 1M to turn round by the right to cross
down into the second reel, not to slip into place facing in. Any
authoritative information available?

- For =93Willie=94 the booklet says =93First man passing behind his
partner to cross over to begin and in front of her as they cross
back to own sides=94 This phrasing would seems to be quite
awkward; does anyone ever dance it like that?. The Manual
modifies this by saying =93These reels are similar to the reels in
Tullochgorm.=94

As Anselm pointed out, from book 15 onwards the =93Mirror
Reels=94 have become the standard, =93Gates of Edinburgh=94 (book
15 - 5) being the first, followed by Bonnie Kate of Aberdeen
(book 17 - 8), Maxwell=92s Rant (Book 18 =96 10) and many
others. We all know that calling them =93Gates of Edinburgh
Reels=94 is a misnomer, as that in dance the reels have an
abnormal ending; =93Maxwell=92s Reels=94 would be better.

I hope nobody has asked Simon Scott to dance =93Cadgers=94 with
mirror reels (L shoulder on the women=92s side). Even if you end
on the opposite side, they still stay Parallel Reels, both being R.
shoulder.

Happy dancing

Eric

Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, 5624 KH EINDHOVEN, Netherlands
tel: +31-40-243 2878 fax: +31-40-246 7036 e-mail: e.ferguson@antenna.nl

Cadgers Reels

Message 22084 · Rebecca Sager · 11 Aug 2000 16:19:13 · Top

Don't have anything to add to Marjorie's great description and historical
perspective (as always) Just want to say that Cadgers is a favorite here,
danced as she describes, and much enjoyed, especially to fine new
recordings by Taylor/Imbrie and The Music Makars in addition to Stan
Hamilton. It was great having The Music Makars playing it for us at our
February weekend.
Incidentally, I heard from Lee Fuell that The Music Makars have recorded
a new CD which should be available soon. Anyone know anything about this?

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

Cadgers Reels

Message 22085 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 11 Aug 2000 17:48:59 · Top

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Eric Ferguson wrote:

Re Cadgers:

> If ending on the opposite=20
> sides, I would expect 1M to turn round by the right to cross=20
> down into the second reel, not to slip into place facing in. Any=20
> authoritative information available?

One of the delightful features of Cadgers, aside from the fit of the music
(yes, second tune) to the dance is the twirl the first man makes -- in his
kilt -- when he transitions from the first reel to the beginning of the
second. That turn to the right looks so glorious that it must feel that
way to the dancer also!

> As Anselm pointed out, from book 15 onwards the =93Mirror=20
> Reels=94 have become the standard,

As they were in the late 18th century.

happy dancing,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)
=20

Cadgers Reels

Message 22086 · James R. Ferguson · 11 Aug 2000 18:24:50 · Top

Becky,
The new CD is still in progress. As I understand it, the songs are recorded, but the final mastering, etc. is not finished. I'm not too knowledgeable about all you need to do to "finish" a CD, but Etienne said it would not be available for awhile yet. There's no doubt that the wait will be worth it!!!! (Oh, it's a live recording!!)
Donna

From: Rebecca Sager <bsager3@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 08:10:12 -0400

>Don't have anything to add to Marjorie's great description and historical
>perspective (as always) Just want to say that Cadgers is a favorite here,
>danced as she describes, and much enjoyed, especially to fine new
>recordings by Taylor/Imbrie and The Music Makars in addition to Stan
>Hamilton. It was great having The Music Makars playing it for us at our
>February weekend.
>Incidentally, I heard from Lee Fuell that The Music Makars have recorded
>a new CD which should be available soon. Anyone know anything about this?
>
>Becky
>
>Becky Sager
>Marietta GA USA
>
>--
>Rebecca Sager <bsager3@juno.com>

Cadgers Reels

Message 22100 · Patricia Ruggiero · 15 Aug 2000 06:34:22 · Top

Eric Ferguson asked:
>Does anyone know of any others (RSCDS or not)?

"Grimstock," a dance from Playford 1651. This is a 72 bar dance, in 3
parts, for 3 couples in a longways nonprogressive set. The dance ends with
an 8-bar crossover parallel hey (reel), but this figure differs from Cadgers
in that the 1s cross back to their own sides at the bottom of the set.

Original instructions read:

"First cu. change places and go down the S. Hey;
And come up the S. Hey on her [sic] side."

(S. Hey = the Single Hey)

The barring and execution according to Cecil Sharp:

Bar 1: 1st cpl change places, passing L shoulders
Bars 2-4: 1st cpl hey for 3 half-way
Bar 5: 1st cpl change places, passing R shoulders
Bars 6-8: 1st cpl complete the hey for 3 half-way to original places
He notes that this should be done with a skipping step.

One has to read Sharp's introductory notes to his various books to know that
he reconstructs the single hey as beginning with a R shoulder pass. I quote
from his "The Country Dance Book," Part II, p. 54, just after he has
described the track of a hey for 3:

"This is presumably the correct way in which the hey-for-three should be
executed in the Country Dance, although we have no direct evidence that it
was in fact so danced in Playford's day." He then goes on to cite evidence
from Hogarth's "Analysis of Beauty" (1758) and Wilson (1811) to support his
reconstruction. Note how much later these are than Playford 1st ed.,
although the Hogarth is close in time to Cadgers' appearance in Walsh 1748.

As to the figure in question, the crossover parallel heys, Sharp's
reconstruction works reasonably well because (1) the initial cross by the L
gives W1 more room in which to maneuver to make the right-angle turn to face
down for the R-shldr hey; and (2) as the 1s work their way around the set,
they always pass other dancers by alternating shoulders. It is true,
however, that M1 faces a situation at the bottom of the women's line not
unlike that faced by M1, in Cadgers, at the end of the first 8 bars, as he
finishes the first reel at the top of the women's line: to wit, he does not
dance completely around the bottom (or top) woman to finish the hey (reel)
fully before crossing to the other side. Should M1 cut straight across to
his own side of the dance, or should he dance a little loop? To tell the
truth, it's been so long since I've danced Grimstock, and never as a man,
that I don't know what M1 does here. I can say this: that despite Sharp's
best efforts, the start of the hey for W1 still feels awkward. One does
wonder what folks in 1651 understood by Playford's instructions.

An interesting aside to this analysis is that the last 8 bars of Part I
describe a mirror hey on one's own side:

"First cu. go down between the second, the third come up between the first;
This forwards and back to your places."

And then the last 8 bars of Part II describe a "dip and dive" figure, the
track of which turns out to be a mirror hey on one's own side:

"First cu. go down under the second cu. arms, the third come up under the
first;
This forwards and back to your places."

These of course are L shoulder heys for the women.

So, heys for 3 began by passing R shoulders, except when they didn't; and
mirror heys (at least on one's own side), while they didn't officially
exist, did exist in practice in 1651.

Pat