strathspey Archive: Gale Cragg

Gale Cragg

Message 21958 · George R. DeMille · 20 Jul 2000 04:58:35 · Top

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01BFF1CC.60FD5220

I ask the forbearance of those on this list who will not have known Gale =
Cragg, but there is a wide circle of subscribers who will be saddened to =
hear that Gale died today following a long battle with numerous health =
problems related to her diabetes.

Gale received her SCD training in England at the Imperial Society of =
Teachers of Dancing before moving to Canada when her husband, Bill, =
accepted a faculty appointment at the University of New Brunswick in =
Fredericton in 1961. There, she quickly assumed the key role in the =
Fredericton Scottish Country Dance Group, which had been founded the =
previous year by Miss Milligan's friends Jim and Margaret Porter. Gale's =
energy and love of SCD ensured that the fledgling group flourished and =
for more than 30 years she was its teacher and general driving force.

In addition to her role in the Fredericton SCD Group, Gale was involved =
in other Scottish dance activities. For a number of years she organized =
and taught a children's class in SCD through the University of New =
Brunswick Department of Extension. Several graduates of this class are =
still dancing with our group. Gale offered teacher candidate classes in =
New Brunswick for many years and was responsible for approximately 20 =
dancers (myself included) gaining RSCDS teacher's certification. She =
taught at many SCD workshops throughout Maritime Canada and beyond.

Gale was the devisor of a number of Scottish country dances, many of =
which were published in the New Brunswick Collection of Scottish Country =
Dances. This publication (in 1984) was a New Brunswick bicentennial =
project that came to fruition largely as a result of Gale's efforts.

In later years her health problems increasingly prevented Gale from =
dancing and participating in other dance activities. But she continued =
to demonstrate her love of SCD by attending dance functions in the area =
to the extend that her health allowed. She will be missed sadly by her =
many dancing friends.

Gale Cragg's funeral is at 2 PM on Friday, July 21 at St. Paul's =
Anglican Church, Rothesay, New Brunswick.

George DeMille

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01BFF1CC.60FD5220

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P>I ask the forbearance of those on this list who will not have known =
Gale=20
Cragg, but there is a wide circle of subscribers who will be saddened to =
hear=20
that Gale died today following a long battle with numerous health =
problems=20
related to her diabetes.</P>
<P>Gale received her SCD training in England at the Imperial Society of =
Teachers=20
of Dancing before moving to Canada when her husband, Bill, accepted a =
faculty=20
appointment at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton in 1961. =
There,=20
she quickly assumed the key role in the Fredericton Scottish Country =
Dance=20
Group, which had been founded the previous year by Miss Milligan's =
friends Jim=20
and Margaret Porter. Gale's energy and love of SCD ensured that the =
fledgling=20
group flourished and for more than 30 years she was its teacher and =
general=20
driving force.</P>
<P>In addition to her role in the Fredericton SCD Group, Gale was =
involved in=20
other Scottish dance activities. For a number of years she organized and =
taught=20
a children's class in SCD through the University of New Brunswick =
Department of=20
Extension. Several graduates of this class are still dancing with our =
group.=20
Gale offered teacher candidate classes in New Brunswick for many years =
and was=20
responsible for approximately 20 dancers (myself included) gaining RSCDS =

teacher's certification. She taught at many SCD workshops throughout =
Maritime=20
Canada and beyond.</P>
<P>Gale was the devisor of a number of Scottish country dances, many of =
which=20
were published in the New Brunswick Collection of Scottish Country =
Dances. This=20
publication (in 1984) was a New Brunswick bicentennial project that came =
to=20
fruition largely as a result of Gale's efforts.</P>
<P>In later years her health problems increasingly prevented Gale from =
dancing=20
and participating in other dance activities. But she continued to =
demonstrate=20
her love of SCD by attending dance functions in the area to the extend =
that her=20
health allowed. She will be missed sadly by her many dancing =
friends.</P>
<P>Gale Cragg's funeral is at 2 PM on Friday, July 21 at St. Paul's =
Anglican=20
Church, Rothesay, New Brunswick.</P>
<P>George DeMille</P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0010_01BFF1CC.60FD5220--

Gale Cragg

Message 21959 · John Wood · 20 Jul 2000 05:49:26 · Top

Thank you George for your message. It is really sad to hear that she
has lost her battle.
Will always remember her as a great friend and the happy times we
spent dancing together.

Regards to her family, please.

Regards to yourself, John

> I ask the forbearance of those on this list who will not have known
> Gale Cragg, but there is a wide circle of subscribers who will be
> saddened to hear that Gale died today following a long battle with
> numerous health problems related to her diabetes.

Gale Cragg

Message 21961 · Benjamin Stein · 20 Jul 2000 18:01:54 · Top

"George R. DeMille" wrote:

> Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
> Encoding: quoted-printable

Gale will be missed by all of us who knew her. Please pass on my
condolences and regrets that time, distance and other commitments make
it impossible for me to be at the funeral. My sincere regrets.

Ben stein
dancers@globalnetisp.net

Gale Cragg

Message 21962 · Colleen Putt · 20 Jul 2000 21:42:16 · Top

------=_NextPart_000_0023_02295554.817D9E60

Please give my condolences to her family. We shall miss her indomitable =
spirit. She was an inspiration to all who knew her.
Thank you, Gale.
Colleen
----- Original Message -----=20
[...]

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D2>Please give my =
condolences to her=20
family. We shall miss her indomitable spirit. She was an inspiration to =
all who=20
knew her.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D2>Thank you, =
Gale.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial size=3D2>Colleen</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
<DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
<A href=3D"mailto:demille@unb.ca" title=3Ddemille@unb.ca>George R. =
DeMille</A>=20
</DIV>
href=3D"mailto:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de"=20
=
title=3Dstrathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>strathspey@tm.informati=
k.uni-frankfurt.de</A>=20
</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, July 19, 2000 =
9:57=20
PM</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Gale Cragg</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>
<P>I ask the forbearance of those on this list who will not have known =
Gale=20
Cragg, but there is a wide circle of subscribers who will be saddened =
to hear=20
that Gale died today following a long battle with numerous health =
problems=20
related to her diabetes.</P>
<P>Gale received her SCD training in England at the Imperial Society =
of=20
Teachers of Dancing before moving to Canada when her husband, Bill, =
accepted a=20
faculty appointment at the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton =
in 1961.=20
There, she quickly assumed the key role in the Fredericton Scottish =
Country=20
Dance Group, which had been founded the previous year by Miss =
Milligan's=20
friends Jim and Margaret Porter. Gale's energy and love of SCD ensured =
that=20
the fledgling group flourished and for more than 30 years she was its =
teacher=20
and general driving force.</P>
<P>In addition to her role in the Fredericton SCD Group, Gale was =
involved in=20
other Scottish dance activities. For a number of years she organized =
and=20
taught a children's class in SCD through the University of New =
Brunswick=20
Department of Extension. Several graduates of this class are still =
dancing=20
with our group. Gale offered teacher candidate classes in New =
Brunswick for=20
many years and was responsible for approximately 20 dancers (myself =
included)=20
gaining RSCDS teacher's certification. She taught at many SCD =
workshops=20
throughout Maritime Canada and beyond.</P>
<P>Gale was the devisor of a number of Scottish country dances, many =
of which=20
were published in the New Brunswick Collection of Scottish Country =
Dances.=20
This publication (in 1984) was a New Brunswick bicentennial project =
that came=20
to fruition largely as a result of Gale's efforts.</P>
<P>In later years her health problems increasingly prevented Gale from =
dancing=20
and participating in other dance activities. But she continued to =
demonstrate=20
her love of SCD by attending dance functions in the area to the extend =
that=20
her health allowed. She will be missed sadly by her many dancing =
friends.</P>
<P>Gale Cragg's funeral is at 2 PM on Friday, July 21 at St. Paul's =
Anglican=20
Church, Rothesay, New Brunswick.</P>
<P>George DeMille</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_02295554.817D9E60--

Gale Cragg

Message 21964 · Bert Post · 20 Jul 2000 22:36:21 · Top

George,

So sad to hear of Gale's death.
I have fond memories of her as my first SCD Teacher in 1967.
I have often regarded her -- the intervening 33 years could not distort my
view?! -- as one of the most effective SCD teachers I have met.

Please add my name to the list of those who send condolences to the family.

Bert Post