strathspey Archive: Golden Pheasant

Golden Pheasant

Message 21716 · Graham Hamilton · 28 Jun 2000 12:15:50 · Top

This is totally irrelevant to the serious questions raised about this dance,
but I probably haven't seen this dance in London for 20 years. All I can
remember is being told that this is the easiest dance to remember because it
follows the mnemonic GPO STD, which at that time in the UK meant General
Post Office Standard Telephone Dialling - somewhat less relevant now that
the telephone company is no longer part of the GPO - which is called Post
Office Counters anyway!

This gives the dance patterns as Grand Chain, Pousette, Circle, Set/Turn
Corners and Double Triangles. I know O is a bit of a cheat for a circle, but
it does complete the mnemonic!

Is this the correct sequence for this dance or have I remembered it wrong?

Graham Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>
To: 'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Date: 27 June 2000 16:52
Subject: RE: Test/Golden Pheasant

>On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, Lee Fuell wrote:
>> Can anyone explain how (short of being an Olympic-level
>> long jumper or
>> Bolshoi ballet dancer) one can set and turn second corner, pass
>> one's partner by the right shoulder, and finish in double-triangles
>> position in only two bars?
>
>The critical piece of information being that a member of the Bolshoi ballet
>would have a version of the pdb that does not require one to close in 3rd
>posn on the 2nd beat (providing only one step for travel - perfect
candidate
>for the centre-shoulder-pass, if you ask me...) - i.e. if you use an RSCDS
>pdb, you can't pass someone AND finish back-to-back with them in one pdb.
>You can be b-t-b, but not quite past. You can be past but not quite b-t-b.
>Hmmm... Unless you pass front-to-front and turn 360 degrees during the
>step?
>
>Now that we have the impossibility of the situation out of the way...
>
>On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:
>> I am also a full cert. candidate and I have been told that
>> the way this is
>> generally done is to set to 2nd corner for 1 bar (instead of
>> 2), turn for
>> 2 bars, and then use the last bar to get round your partner and into
>> position for the double triangles.
>>

>Interesting... this does seem to be the same "effective" phrasing as the
>way we danced it when I did my cert., except that we didn't make it quite
so
>explicit. Suffice it to say that we cheated at both the beginning and the
>end - a significant "anticipation" of the turn in the second bar of the
>setting, and an acknowledgement that we could get past each other, but not
>quite perfectly in double triangles posn, on the last bar of the turn by
>dropping hands at the beginning of the bar. (Although we still managed to
>adjust comfortably into position at the beginning of the 1st bar of the
>double triangles.) Something tells me that the 1-2-1 phrasing Lara
>describes would be neater, or at least more consistently executed by
members
>of the set. My only concern is that it could lead to "cheating into the
>turn" on bar 1. Maybe a compromise - think of the turn as on bars 2&3, but
>make sure to take hands in a relaxed fashion (not grabbing or offering
hands
>early)?
>
>That said, I'm not sure what the RSCDS Examinations Board would accept as
>being "correct" - always a point of discussion in the candidate classes
I've
>been part of. So one last piece of advice - get everyone doing it the same
>way, have the class tutor bless the way you're doing it. Beyond that, you
>can be sure the examiners are all sympathetic to the problems in the dance
>and will be interested to see how you choose to cope with it.
>
>The Golden Pheasant - a 42-bar jig for 3 couples (with thanks to our class
>musician for the extra 2 bars).
>
>best of luck,
>
>Norah Link (Montreal)
>
>--
>Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>

Golden Pheasant

Message 21717 · Anselm Lingnau · 28 Jun 2000 12:28:57 · Top

Graham Hamilton <band@craigellachie.demon.co.uk> writes:

> This gives the dance patterns as Grand Chain, Pousette, Circle, Set/Turn
> Corners and Double Triangles. I know O is a bit of a cheat for a circle, but
> it does complete the mnemonic!
>
> Is this the correct sequence for this dance or have I remembered it wrong?

Yes. It must be the obvious simplicity of the sequence (and, by
corollary, of the re-cap) that entices people to put the dance on social
programmes hereabouts.

On the other hand, I remember being booed and hissed at (as in `What the
h... do YOU think you're doing?') by the locals at one ball in the south
of the country for actually starting the set & turn corners in front of
first corner (as opposed to second place, own side), passing right
shoulders pass into the double triangles and so on. Personally I think
it's a nice dance (and a fun tune) but the set needs to know where to
go.

Anselm
If ye hiv ears oan yer heid - then use them tae lissen. -- The Glasgow Gospel