strathspey Archive: Schiehallion Reels

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21701 · Richard L. Walker · 28 Jun 2000 02:28:20 · Top

I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
this particular memory. Help.)

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21704 · ron.mackey · 28 Jun 2000 02:52:49 · Top

> From: "Richard L Walker" <rlwalker@granis.net>
> Subject: Schiehallion Reels
> Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 17:28:19 -0500

> I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
> Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
> few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
> memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
> this particular memory. Help.)

Hi, Richard
The Dancing Master finishes with a half Schi. reel and a circle.
Nice dance in it's own right.
Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21705 · Alan Twhigg · 28 Jun 2000 03:07:30 · Top

Richard,

The following come to mind:

"Schiehallion" by Hugh Thurston, wherein he originally devised these reels

"The Chrysanthemum" by Bob Blackie - not sure if this is published in a collection

If you want a real challenge, you can try "Fizzbin" in the SF Branch Collection II, which has half schiehallion reels along with a number of other unusual formations...

Cheers, Alan Twhigg.

I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
this particular memory. Help.)

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21707 · houstond · 28 Jun 2000 09:48:07 · Top

Try O My America! A nice square-set reel with Schiehallion and good music.

David R. Houston, CISSP
I/T Security Consultant
e-business Security and Privacy Services
Ph: 512-335-1055 Tiline: 595-8212 External: 512-469-8212
FAX: 512-249-5428

http://www.ibm.com/security/services

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21708 · Richard L. Walker · 28 Jun 2000 10:00:21 · Top

Thanks. I dance this every year at Thistle, but right now am having trouble
trying to figure out how it goes. Well, next week I'll know. ha ha

--
houstond@us.ibm.com

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21712 · Andrew Aitchison · 28 Jun 2000 11:23:50 · Top

"Richard L Walker" <rlwalker@granis.net> wrote:
> I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes
> Schiehallion Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even
> though I know I've danced a few. (The natives are wishing
> for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my memory is very
> empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
> this particular memory. Help.)

If your set are still interested after the half Schiehallion Reels
others have suggested, you could try a dance which I think is
called "The Fairies' Hill" (English translation of Schiehallion)
and published in the St Andrew's University Celtic Society's
bicentennial dance collection. This includes a variation on the
figure where the men dance the cloverleaf reels in the opposite
direction to the women !

I know that The Fairies' Hill was written about the time that
the group danced Schiehallion on its summit, but I don't know
whether it was to extend the programme, or to celebrate the
original feat.

Andrew C Aitchison

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21715 · Graham Hamilton · 28 Jun 2000 12:15:46 · Top

Have a look at Fete Champetre - 128bar Jig. Straight through no repeats and
everyone only has 8 bars standing out! A supurb dance which flows
brilliantly and is great fun to dance - however it is also a tough dance to
master. It was danced as part of the Scottish Tattoo at the Royal Albert
Hall in April and our dem team had to work really hard to crack it. What a
buzz though when everyone got it for the first time.

Another dance we did at the tattoo, Tappie Toorie, has half Schiehallion
reels. This is a 96bar Reel and is also a tough but excellent dance.

Graham Hamilton

>I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
>Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
>few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
>memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
>this particular memory. Help.)
>
>"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
>Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21720 · Marilynn Knight · 28 Jun 2000 16:16:05 · Top

Thanks Richard, for I confess Schiehallion Reaels are my favorite figure

I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
this particular memory. Help.)

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21721 · Marilynn Knight · 28 Jun 2000 16:18:23 · Top

"Chrysanthemum".... One of my favorite! But I too plead Help, as I cannot
find my instructions or tune suggestions.

From: Richard L Walker <rlwalker@granis.net>

> I would appreciate receiving a list of dances that includes Schiehallion
> Reels. I am aware of 1314, but no others even though I know I've danced a
> few. (The natives are wishing for a dance with Schiehallion Reels and my
> memory is very empty at the moment -- not ironically, the normal mode for
> this particular memory. Help.)

Schiehallion Reels

Message 21745 · John P. McClure · 29 Jun 2000 00:47:18 · Top

Richard, you might try Woodmere Wedding, by John Drewry, in The Greenburn
Book vol II. Best wishes,

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB