strathspey Archive: strathspey-d Digest V2000 #135

strathspey-d Digest V2000 #135

Message 21675 · Beverly Robinson · 26 Jun 2000 16:33:32 · Top

I may be responding in the wrong way but I will try this first.

Please unsubscribe me.

strathspey-d-request@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de on 06/23/2000 10:17:33 PM

Please respond to strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

To: strathspey-d@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
cc: (bcc: Beverly Robinson/IT/Aon Consulting)

Subject: strathspey-d Digest V2000 #135

strathspey-d Digest Volume 2000 : Issue 135

Today's Topics:
Out of context [ Peter Hastings <prh@roe.ac.uk> ]
RE: Out of context [ Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org ]
Re: Letchers of both sexes on the da [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
keel row [ Susie Petrov <spetrov@shore.net> ]
The dancing itself... [ Peter Hastings <prh@roe.ac.uk> ]
RE: Letchers of both sexes on the da [ Norah Link <norah@cae.ca> ]
RE: Letchers of both sexes on the da [ Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org ]
Re: keel row [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
Re: The dancing itself... [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
Re: Letchers of both sexes on the da [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
RE: The dancing itself... [ Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org ]
Re: Young people and attittudes [ Stronshiray@aol.com ]
Re: keel row [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
Re: Young people and attittudes [ "Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov" <laradf@ ]
RE: Young people and attittudes [ Norah Link <norah@cae.ca> ]
Fwd: Returned mail: Host unknown (Na [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]
RE: Young people and attittudes [ Norah Link <norah@cae.ca> ]
Re: My mistake ! [ "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net> ]
Re: The dancing itself... [ "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net> ]
Re: keel row [ "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net> ]
Re: The dancing itself... [ SnowshoeTS@aol.com ]

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 13:53:13 +0100 (BST)
From: Peter Hastings <prh@roe.ac.uk>
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Out of context

Only if flirtatious = lecherous, which I would dispute.

But I would say that I have been extremely lucky to have met so many
agreeable people of both sexes through SCD.

Peter
:)

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 08:57:45 -0400
From: Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Subject: RE: Out of context

Peter, I so agree that SCD is such a wonderful community of unique,
delightful people whom I consider myself lucky to know and to dance
with!!!!! Occasional grumbles should never be misconstrued :)

MLK
Columbia, SC where the steam on the horizon is visibly rising at the moment

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:28:15 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Re: Letchers of both sexes on the dance floor...

The questions of flirting ,non-verbal communication and,for want of a better
term , "hitting on someone" have presented a problem to me and for groups
with which I have been involved over the years.

I do believe that non-verbal communication is a wonderful thing ,so long as
it is kept within the bounds of courtesy. Genuine friendliness ,
encouagement ,a polite , "social invitation";-) , disapproval and even the
"snub" are ,I think, all acceptable things to communicate in a dance
situation.
Flirting , if sincere and not "uncomforatable-making" ,is also not offensive
to me (either as occasional recipient or frequent observer). But over a
number of years of SCD I have been quite irritated by the people who flirt as
a game (no, I have not had my fragile ego crushed nor my feelings hurt by it
) and by experienced dancers (male & female) who consider "ritual flirting" a
desireable activety. Even if we disregard, as indeed we should not , the
frequent mis-interpretaions that can be highly disruptive esp. in a small
group, "ritual flirting" except as part of a performance ,when even
exaggerated "stagey" smiles are considered acceptable :-( , is something
without which SCD would be even better.

I do not "like" SCD, I "LOVE" SCD. The dancing itself can or should be able
to provide the emotional "high" most of us have been lucky enough to
experience.
Encouraging "ritual flirting" merely gives permission to activeties best
dealt with by professionals .

I am not making light of the real problems of , and caused by sexual or
,probably, more accurately , emotional aggressors. Those can really mess up a
group and cause personal and collective harm. If someone has a legal , not
too nasty , solution for that problem please let me know!!

I know I sound like an old prude or possibly a prig but this has been
something that has bothered me for many years.I do not like phoniness and
pretention ( and hope I'm guilty of no more than a normal allotment of them
).

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:50:04 -0400
From: Susie Petrov <spetrov@shore.net>
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: keel row

Greetings!

I need to teach the song, Keel Row to music teachers at the New England
Conservatory in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for a translation of the
chorus

Weel row the keel row
the keel row, the keel row
weel row the keel row
that my lassie's in.

Any enlightenment on the text of chorus or verses would be most appreciated!

Many thanks,
Susie

"If you can talk, you can sing. If you can walk, you can dance."

--
Susie Petrov <spetrov@shore.net>

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:51:34 +0100 (BST)
From: Peter Hastings <prh@roe.ac.uk>
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: The dancing itself...

> The dancing itself can or should be able to provide the emotional "high"
> most of us have been lucky enough to experience.

The 'dancing itself' is an interesting concept - is this solely the
movement ? or the movement plus the music ? or the movement plus the music
plus the social interaction ?

I'd be interested in a precise definition of what the 'dancing itself'
is. Or is it so personal that this cannot be done ?

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
:)

--
Peter Hastings <prh@roe.ac.uk>

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:55:53 -0400
From: Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

Kirk -

Not sure I understand what you mean by "ritual flirting"?

-Norah Link (Montreal)

--
Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:58:04 -0400
From: Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

Me either...

Marilynn Latta Knight
Cola., SC

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:44:53 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Re: keel row

Hi

I've usually heard it as "Weel may the keel row"
Weel=well ,"keel" is a metonomy (or maybe synecdochy (please correct any
errors in rhetorical figures(or are those "tropes"?))-it's been a few decades
and my reference works are currently unvailable ;-) ) for boat, row=
procede,travel or be rowed.

so: "may the boat fare well"

Often "laddie" rather than "lassie" in anycase, "beloved"

If I'm wrong someone ,please ,correct me.
Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:00:57 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Re: The dancing itself...

I' meant the music,the movement and the interaction of the dancers as
dancers during the period of time of doing the specific dance without regard
to "off the floor inter-relationships" .At one time I danced in a set with a
then current romantic entanglement, and three former RE's (one a messy& nasty
breakup, the other two mutually determined breakups, but none the less with
the residual that such relationships bear) -the dancing was pleasant,in fact
very good.We all accepted the concept of leaving jealousy
,bitterness,affection,desire for revenge....... out of the dancing.

I was a bit inexact this morning but meant to imply that one can relate in a
friiendly and mutually enjoyable way without playing games .

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:07:18 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

Hi

I guess I was rather sloppy this morning.
By "ritual flirting" I meant going through the forms and motions of flirting
with no real content.It is a bit like the showgirls in the film "Buggsey
Malone" or the Solid Gold dancers -sexualoid rather than sexual or
affectional(???)

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:09:01 -0400
From: Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

AMEN!!!

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:10:52 EDT
From: Stronshiray@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Re: Young people and attittudes

I meant especially that Highland dancers turn up their noses at country
dancing (I don't personally know any "ceilidh dancers" or "Reelers").
Competition Highland being more like a sport now than a dance form, they
don't, as far as I can tell, understand the enjoyment that we can get from
doing something even as limitedly regimented as SCD. I have seen crossovers,
but they have gone from SCD to Highland. When I am in conversation with a
Highland dancer and let it drop that I do SCD, his (or, more usually, her)
nostrils flare and he gets that "Oh! How quaint!" expression. I suppose it
seems to them, for lack of a better term, "common." I want to start
Highland--I'm not saying that all Highland dancers are snobs, or even that
any are. If there are any Highland dancers out there, I don't mean to
offend. But I think if we could push SCD on the Highland schools as
something in which they could have fun and show off their technique, we might
have some success with the kids and teen-agers there.
Regards,
Eleanor Mulhern
RSCDS DVB

--
Stronshiray@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:12:58 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

It should be a "synecdochy"

Thanks to Lara Friedman-Shedlov for correction and information!
Kirk BAchler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:37 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov" <laradf@alumni.si.umich.edu>
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000 Stronshiray@aol.com wrote:

> I meant especially that Highland dancers turn up their noses at country
> dancing (I don't personally know any "ceilidh dancers" or "Reelers").
> Competition Highland being more like a sport now than a dance form, they
> don't, as far as I can tell, understand the enjoyment that we can get from
> doing something even as limitedly regimented as SCD
<SNIP>

Actually, in my highland dance class, the teacher used to bring in someone
to lead some country dancing once every couple of months as a treat. The
highland dancers all seemed to have a great time, though none have become
regular SCDers that I am aware of. At least they didn't sneer. I should
perhaps add that the person brought in to lead the country dancing spent
no time at all on technique but focused on getting people up & doing
fairly complex dances (Polharrow Burn and The Golden Pheasant). Perhaps
this made it seem less "regimented."

--Lara Friedman-Shedlov
SCD, step, and highland dancer
Minneapolis, MN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lara Friedman~Shedlov "Thwart not the librarian!"
ldfs@bigfoot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:20:24 -0400
From: Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

As someone else said earlier, AMEN!!!

Norah Link (Montreal)

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:28:36 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Fwd: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server:
tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de...

--part1_a9.751a0bb.2684dc24_boundary

I must have been thinking of Kentucky-sorry

--part1_a9.751a0bb.2684dc24_boundary

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:33 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@aol.com>
Subject: Returned mail: Host unknown (Name server:
tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de: host not found)
To: SnowshoeTS@aol.com

--LAA19593.961773693/imo-r09.mx.aol.com

The original message was received at Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:28 -0400 (EDT)
from root@localhost

*** ATTENTION ***

Your e-mail is being returned to you because there was a problem with its
delivery. The address which was undeliverable is listed in the section
labeled: "----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----".

The reason your mail is being returned to you is listed in the section
labeled: "----- Transcript of Session Follows -----".

The line beginning with "<<<" describes the specific reason your e-mail could
not be delivered. The next line contains a second error message which is a
general translation for other e-mail servers.

Please direct further questions regarding this message to the e-mail
administrator or Postmaster at that destination.

--AOL Postmaster

<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de>

550 <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de>... Host unknown (Name server:
tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de: host not found)

--LAA19593.961773693/imo-r09.mx.aol.com
Reporting-MTA: dns; imo-r09.mx.aol.com
Arrival-Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:28 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de
Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:33 -0400 (EDT)

--LAA19593.961773693/imo-r09.mx.aol.com

From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:21:28 EDT
Subject: Fwd: keel row
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfort.de

--part1_96.68f2b3b.2684da78_boundary

I do appreciate true scholarly attitude!

--part1_96.68f2b3b.2684da78_boundary

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:12:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov" <laradf@alumni.si.umich.edu>
To: SnowshoeTS@aol.com

I may have spoken too soon. I just found the following in an essay by
someone named Daniel Chandler:

Some theorists identify a particular kind of metonym as
synecdoche. Roman Jakobson argues that whilst both of these
involve a part standing for a whole, in metonymy the
relation is internal (sail for ship) whereas in
synecdoche the relation is external (pen for
writer) (see Lechte 1994, 63). However, Umberto Eco
(1984) has rejected any distinction between synecdoche and
metonym.

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 11:33:42 -0400
From: Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>
To: "'strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de'"
<strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

I think this is key to attracting Highland dancers. Do we foist a whole lot
of footwork on new dancers in general? So why foist it on Highland dancers?
It's not the distinguishing factor here: the execution of the figures to
the music is. Most highland dancers will have ample dance technique to get
through a dance, and if they're having difficulty getting through because of
footwork, it's usually enough to say "try softening your step and reaching
more" or "make it a 3-beat pdb instead of a 2-beat, you'll find it easier"
or "you're fighting with your partner, try doing this instead". Otherwise,
leave the technique alone and have fun. Get them hooked before delving into
the finer points, and make sure it stays fun.

My $.02 ... 'nuff said.

Norah

--
Norah Link <norah@cae.ca>

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:33:42 +0100
From: "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Subject: Re: My mistake !

Flirting:

A meeting of eyes, before hearts.

Pia
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:40:43 +0100
From: "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

Na! I don't believe it - you/they were just not close enough to trip them
up. :>)

Pia

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 17:39:39 +0100
From: "Pia Walker" <piawalke@nascr.net>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>

Isn't keel the underpart of a ship/boat, which balances it on/in the water?
In that case:

May the boat in which my love is, balance well, so it doesn't capsize and he
drowns.

Pia

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:00:59 EDT
From: SnowshoeTS@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

Now Pia:
Actually the love of the dancing can transcend the triviality of youthful
passions(this was a number of yrs Ago!) ;-}

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS

--
SnowshoeTS@aol.com