strathspey Archive: Music for Lancers

Music for Lancers

Message 21669 · Patricia Ruggiero · 26 Jun 2000 06:20:42 · Top

Advice, please, on music for Student Lancers. Period -- 1880s. What music
would have been used? Is that what folks still use today?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Music for Lancers

Message 21674 · SMiskoe · 26 Jun 2000 15:29:18 · Top

Lancers Quadrilles were danced to the popular music of the day. An annual
ball I attend has several Lancers in the program. They are danced to Gilbert
& Sullivan, in particular Trial by Jury Yeoman of the Guard and Patience.
There is an ancient recording by Jimmy Shand using these tunes.
Hope this helps,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Music for Lancers

Message 21687 · Patricia Ruggiero · 27 Jun 2000 16:32:52 · Top

Thanks for the info. Does it help? Well, yes and no....

It's good to know the music to which those folks danced Lancers, but we were
kinda hoping it'd be some good reels or jigs, ones that we like and ones
that our musicians can play....

Pat