strathspey Archive: orthotics

orthotics

Message 21547 · Dianna Shipman · 21 Jun 2000 03:01:49 · Top

I had an appointment with the doctor who makes my orthotics today and I was
describing and demonstrating to him the Scottish Country dance steps and
he's doing some research on what's available on the market. I have some
info but don't recall if I found the sources thru the newsgroup or
elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share with
orthotics for Scottish Country Dance, I'll appreciate the feedback and I'll
share with the group whatever I find out.
Thanks,
Dianna
PS I have wide, flat feet which aggravates the problem - and we usually
dance on a tile floor over concrete - so I'm especially interested in info
anyone has on this combination of problems.

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212

orthotics

Message 21549 · George Devine · 21 Jun 2000 03:55:08 · Top

Dear Diana, please excuse my ignorance but what is/are orthotics?
George Devine, Fleet scds

>From: "Dianna Shipman" <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net>
>To: "Strathspey Articles" <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
>Subject: orthotics
>Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:01:33 -0500
>
>I had an appointment with the doctor who makes my orthotics today and I was
>describing and demonstrating to him the Scottish Country dance steps and
>he's doing some research on what's available on the market. I have some
>info but don't recall if I found the sources thru the newsgroup or
>elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share with
>orthotics for Scottish Country Dance, I'll appreciate the feedback and I'll
>share with the group whatever I find out.
>Thanks,
>Dianna
>PS I have wide, flat feet which aggravates the problem - and we usually
>dance on a tile floor over concrete - so I'm especially interested in info
>anyone has on this combination of problems.
>
>Dianna L. Shipman
>diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
>PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
>Houston, TX 77019-4946
>Scottish Country Dancing and More
>web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
>phone: 713-522-1212

orthotics

Message 21550 · Dianna Shipman · 21 Jun 2000 05:33:58 · Top

George
They are shoe inserts to support the foot and correct foot problems - the
traditional ones only cover the back half of the foot - the idea being that
support in this area is sufficient - however, since in Scottish Country
Dance we dance mostly on the balls of the feet the traditional orthotics (I
may have the spelling wrong) are still helpful but of limited value. They
come in a variety of sizes, styles and materials. I have a heavy duty pair
that I've worn for years that can be used in lace up shoes like tennis shoes
but they are not at all flexible and don't work for dance. I have a
flexible pair (but only for the back half of the foot) that works for other
street shoes and I use them in my dance shoes. I can truthfully say that I
would have had to give up dancing years ago if I had not gotten orthotics.
But I'm hoping to find a better product for the whole foot since it's the
balls of my feet that are giving me the most trouble.

Dianna

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212
> Dear Diana, please excuse my ignorance but what is/are orthotics?
> George Devine, Fleet scds
>

> >From: "Dianna Shipman" <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net>
> >To: "Strathspey Articles" <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
> >Subject: orthotics
> >Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:01:33 -0500
> >
> >I had an appointment with the doctor who makes my orthotics today and I
was
> >describing and demonstrating to him the Scottish Country dance steps and
> >he's doing some research on what's available on the market. I have some
> >info but don't recall if I found the sources thru the newsgroup or
> >elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share with
> >orthotics for Scottish Country Dance, I'll appreciate the feedback and
I'll
> >share with the group whatever I find out.
> >Thanks,
> >Dianna
> >PS I have wide, flat feet which aggravates the problem - and we usually
> >dance on a tile floor over concrete - so I'm especially interested in
info
> >anyone has on this combination of problems.
> >
> >Dianna L. Shipman
> >diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
> >PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
> >Houston, TX 77019-4946
> >Scottish Country Dancing and More
> >web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
> >phone: 713-522-1212

> --
> "George Devine" <gdevine216@hotmail.com>

orthotics

Message 21551 · Dewdney Andrew · 21 Jun 2000 11:55:59 · Top

Dianna
Let me know what you find out from him! I too wear specially made orthotics,
on the account of having fallen arches, (biomechanically challenged, as the
Doc tongue-in-cheek put it) which led to shin-splints etc. They ordered me
some tailor-made insoles meant for sports shoes, with the hope that they
would be OK, but they didn't work in dancing shoes unfortunately, I just
have to wear them at all other times instead. Main trouble is that they have
heels, which do rather get in the way.
I wait on tenterhooks, or tender legs, anyway
Andrew Dewdney

orthotics

Message 21564 · Hugh Goldie · 21 Jun 2000 20:22:30 · Top

I have "orthopedic insoles" from Spenco. They are not custom fitted, but
come in shoe sizes and are available in 3/4 length or in full length. I
obtained the full length inserts from a specialty drug store, on the
advice of a physiotherapist, when I had a bad limp for a while. Now I
probably don't need them, but wear them anyway. The rigid ("orthopedic")
part of the insoles extends only 3/4 of the length and the part under the
balls of the feet is soft insole. Perhaps these might be helpful in
ghillies --I don't know because I wore them only in street shoes.

--Hugh

Hugh Goldie Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
goldie@duke.usask.ca

orthotics

Message 21570 · John P. McClure · 22 Jun 2000 00:14:24 · Top

For dancers with foot problems that are being assisted by orthotics, I
recommend considering jazz shoes as an alternative to ghillies or ballet
slippers. Depending on the maker, they can be quite flexible and fit
very nicely, and because of the way they lace up around the foot, they
probably give better support and may be better able to accomodate the
orthotics; the (quite small) heel may also be beneficial all on its
own. I use prescribed orthotics like those described by Hugh (a rigid
part at the back, with a softer insole extending the full length), and
I've found that with just a bit of trimming of the softer part at the
front of the orthotic, they fit pretty well in the jazz shoe. Depending
on the shape of the orthotic at the back, you might need to search out a
make of shoe that offers a wide fitting. Wishing continuing happy dancing
for as many as possible,

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB

orthotics

Message 21574 · Stronshiray · 22 Jun 2000 02:07:25 · Top

If one is looking for support inherent in the shoe, may I suggest the
Hullachan Pro ghillie. While it has a rather hefty price tag (US$70-75), the
shoe itself is wonderful. It provides excellent arch support and has padding
for the ball of the foot. It was designed as a Highland practice ghillie, so
it is excellent if you want to prevent shin splints (this isn't an
advertisement, I have them--the ghillies--and I had shin splints and do not
any longer. I do step dancing, so shin splints are things to expect.).
There is very little support in the back, being a Highland shoe, it does not
expect that your heels are ever on the floor. Also, they come in widths!
So really, if you are looking for good technique and elevation without shin
splints, these ghillies are the ghillies for you. They come with or without
red stitching, you can mail order them, or they are available at Highland
Heritage in Delaware.
Regards,
Eleanor Mulhern
RSCDS DVB

orthotics

Message 21575 · Dianna Shipman · 22 Jun 2000 08:28:38 · Top

Dewdney -
thanks for the reply - will let you know what I find out.
Dianna

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212
> Let me know what you find out from him! I too wear specially made
orthotics,
> on the account of having fallen arches, (biomechanically challenged, as
the
> Doc tongue-in-cheek put it) which led to shin-splints etc. They ordered me
> some tailor-made insoles meant for sports shoes, with the hope that they
> would be OK, but they didn't work in dancing shoes unfortunately, I just
> have to wear them at all other times instead. Main trouble is that they
have
> heels, which do rather get in the way.
> I wait on tenterhooks, or tender legs, anyway
> Andrew Dewdney

orthotics

Message 21576 · Doug Mills · 22 Jun 2000 09:33:35 · Top

Dianna

I have a pair of "formthotics" in my gillies, the doc put these bright blue
orthotics in the microwave (on high for 2 min or until tender) then put them in
my gillies, I then quickly put on the shoes and stood for 2 minutes until they
had molded to the contour of my foot.

They are a full length orthotic, which does mean when you point your toe the
end of your gillie looks like a pixie's slipper, but it's better than having
sore feet. (plus it gives you an excuse for turned up toes!)

I've had them in for a year now with no trouble, but I have heard of them
breaking, which is only to be expected given the flexing we do to our feet.

Cheers

Doug Mills
Christchurch, New Zealand

Dianna Shipman wrote:

> I had an appointment with the doctor who makes my orthotics today and I was
> describing and demonstrating to him the Scottish Country dance steps and
> he's doing some research on what's available on the market. I have some
> info but don't recall if I found the sources thru the newsgroup or
> elsewhere. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences to share with
> orthotics for Scottish Country Dance, I'll appreciate the feedback and I'll
> share with the group whatever I find out.
> Thanks,
> Dianna
> PS I have wide, flat feet which aggravates the problem - and we usually
> dance on a tile floor over concrete - so I'm especially interested in info
> anyone has on this combination of problems.
>
> Dianna L. Shipman
> diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
> PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
> Houston, TX 77019-4946
> Scottish Country Dancing and More
> web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
> phone: 713-522-1212

orthotics

Message 21577 · Cecilia Stolzer Grote · 22 Jun 2000 09:50:46 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=

I have "orthopedic insoles" from Spenco. They are not custom fitted, but=

come in shoe sizes and are available in 3/4 length or in full length. I
obtained the full length inserts from a specialty drug store, on the
advice of a physiotherapist, when I had a bad limp for a while. Now I
probably don't need them, but wear them anyway. The rigid ("orthopedic")=

part of the insoles extends only 3/4 of the length and the part under the=

balls of the feet is soft insole. Perhaps these might be helpful in
ghillies --I don't know because I wore them only in street shoes.

--Hugh

Hugh Goldie Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
goldie@duke.usask.ca
<

I also get Spenco insoles. I get the full-length ones with the arch
support, but not the orthopedic ones with the hard plastic. One of my
problems are high arches, and a long evening of dancing without any arch
support is really felt the next day. I find mine at a shoe repair shop.

Cecilia Stolzer-Grote
RSDCD San Francisco Branch

orthotics

Message 21590 · George Devine · 22 Jun 2000 16:39:47 · Top

Diana, Thank you for that prompt answer. They sound like the sorbethane
inserts we used for long marches in the army. Now if I could just get
something for my knees.........! George