strathspey Archive: SOS: "Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

SOS: "Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21442 · Marilynn Knight · 6 Jun 2000 17:29:44 · Top

As much info as possible to satisfy curious mind.... Thanks in advance. I
have only wee tidbits that don't hang together to make a nice story.

Marilynn Knight
Columbia, SC where we had a few sprinkles of rain, and we are grateful, but
needing more. Maybe we are actually transforming to a desert?

"Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21443 · Richard L. Walker · 6 Jun 2000 18:11:10 · Top

The URL: http://www.sarcon.demon.co.uk/lyrics/r0372.txt has the lyrics.
Perhaps you would have better deciphering luck than I.

I did a web search on "Ewes Tae Knowes" for any page containing ALL the
words and came up with an impressive list of sites -- none of which
translated the phrase.

I'll be looking for the story too. I like to have them handy at our
socials.

"Richard L Walker"<rlwalker@granis.net>
Pensacola, FL USA 32504-7726

"Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21444 · Anselm Lingnau · 6 Jun 2000 18:48:21 · Top

Richard L Walker <rlwalker@granis.net> writes:

> I did a web search on "Ewes Tae Knowes" for any page containing ALL the=

> words and came up with an impressive list of sites -- none of which
> translated the phrase.

`Ca' the ewes tae the knowes', roughly translated, means something along
the lines of `Drive the ewes (female sheep) to the hills' (presumably so
they can graze there). The song is all about a shepherd and his
girlfriend, and there's a fair amount of wrapping one's dearie into
one's plaid and so on.

This is one of the songs made popular by Robert Burns; his version is
fairly tame as these things go but the one he started from was pretty
explicit, for the time, anyway. (You must remember that much of what
Burns did with the folksy stuff he collected was to clean it up for
consumption by genteel society -- some of his output must still have
been a bit risqu=E9, for all that [sic!].) I think the older words have
been recorded by Sileas on one of their early albums.

As is often the case, the RSCDS version of the dance does not use the
actual song tune, although the tunes that they do suggest are pretty
good, too. The song tune, being a song tune, doesn't really lend itself
to the strathspey -- even less so than, say, the Lea Rig --, and so the
substitution makes sense. It's in RSCDS book 16, back when the idea of
using song tunes for strathspeys hadn't caught on (or so it seems).

Anselm
-- =

Anselm Lingnau ......................... lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankf=
urt.de
We are here on Earth to do good for others. What the others are here for,=
I do
not know. -- W. H.=
Auden

"Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21446 · Elainerb · 6 Jun 2000 19:13:34 · Top

In a message dated 6/6/00 10:49:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de writes:

<< I did a web search on "Ewes Tae Knowes" for any page containing ALL the
> words and came up with an impressive list of sites -- none of which
> translated the phrase. >>
>From memory of the Burn's poem (song).
The song tune is not the same as the dance tune.

Ca' the ewes tae the knowes
Call the Female sheep to the Knolls (or grassy hills)

Ca' them whaur the burnie rows
Call them where the 'small stream rolls'

Ca' them whaur the heather grows (needs no translation.....)
My Bonnie dearie

Elaine
Virginia. USA

"Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21461 · Bryan McAlister · 7 Jun 2000 22:14:14 · Top

In article <a5.6ce6d2d.266e6eaf@aol.com>, Elainerb@aol.com writes
>In a message dated 6/6/00 10:49:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
>lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de writes:
>
><< I did a web search on "Ewes Tae Knowes" for any page containing ALL the
> > words and came up with an impressive list of sites -- none of which
> > translated the phrase. >>
>From memory of the Burn's poem (song).
>The song tune is not the same as the dance tune.
>
>Ca' the ewes tae the knowes
>Call the Female sheep to the Knolls (or grassy hills)
"Ca "doesn't necessarily mean "Call" it could also mean "Drive" which
might make better sense in the context of the song and might justify a
more robust rendition than is sometimes encountered.
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849
Please note new FAX number - UK 0870 052 7625 International 44 870 052 7625

"Ca the Ewes Tae the Knowes"....background info? anyone...

Message 21445 · George Hamilton · 6 Jun 2000 18:48:27 · Top

Andy M. Stewart recorded this song on his "Songs of Robert Burns" CD. It
has all the words, his translation, and also a bit of background. It is on
Green Linnet, #GLCD 3059. If you like, I will send you all of the words
later today. I don't have time right now.

Cheers,

Vicki