strathspey Archive: [ceilidh-junkies-online] Fwd: Traditional Arts Meeting, 30th May

[ceilidh-junkies-online] Fwd: Traditional Arts Meeting, 30th May

Message 21403 · Ian Brockbank · 1 Jun 2000 11:25:35 · Top

For those who are interested, details of last night`s meeting.

> [...]
>list, and to the working group which was nominated by last night's meeting.
> The steering group consists of (in no particular order):
>Elspeth Cowie (National Organiser of the Traditional Music and Song
>Association and singer); a rep from Coda Music; a rep from the Scots Music
>Group of the Adult Learning Project; Paul de Roo (DJ and promoter of Eden);
>Karen Jones (Children's Music Group); David Francis (former director of
>Edinburgh Folk Festival/ Shoots and Roots and musician); Rob Graham
>(promoter); Ian Willis (musician); Ronnie Lang (formerly Tron Folk Club
>and musician); a rep from the Scottish Traditions of Dance Trust; a rep
>from Edinburgh Folk Club; Paul Murray (Penicuik Folk Club and musician).
>The working group's mandate from the meeting is to use the consensus of the
>meeting to come up with a strategy and action plan for the traditional arts
>in Edinburgh.
>
>Anyone who would like to develop points from the meeting, contribute new
>ideas, or share information can do so on the discussion page specially set
>up following the meeting by journalist and promoter Rob Stokes. You can
>find it at www.scotfolk.com/edinburghfolk The Steering Group will pick up
>pointers from that page, or you can email me with any points you would like
>to be considered.
>
>In a parallel development a small group of musicians has begun the process
>of exploring the possibilities of a centre for traditional music in
>Edinburgh. There will be a public meeting to look at the options and build
>support for this initiative on Thursday June 15 at 7pm, in the Square
>Centre, Nicolson Square. The meeting will be chaired by Cathy Peattie,
>MSP, and will hear presentations on the Edinburgh Music Strategy and on
>Lottery Capital Funding.
>
>Copies of the Music Strategy, and information about the City's Festival and
>Events Strategies (currently in production) can be obtained by phoning 657
>4815. Copies of the Arts Council's 1999 report on Traditional Music in
>Scotland can be obtained by phoning 240 2444.
>
>Finally, last night's meeting was given the news that reviewer and
>commentator Sue Wilson has been dropped from The Scotsman's roster of
>freelance contributors. If you are concerned that this move could lead to
>a deterioration in The Scotsman's already patchy coverage of the
>traditional arts, please write to Editor-in-Chief Andrew Neill, 108
>Holyrood Road, Edinburgh, EH8 8AS. One very important point made last
>night by the MSPs and the Arts Council is that a more vocal presence by the
>traditional arts community would help to bring more attention to, and
>action on the things that are important to us. We don't shout loud enough!
>
>Yours
>
>David Francis
>
>dfrancis@netreal.co.uk
>t/f (44) 131 557 1050 (o); 554 3092 (h)

[ceilidh-junkies-online] Fwd: Traditional Arts Meeting, 30th May

Message 21406 · Ian Brockbank · 1 Jun 2000 18:31:46 · Top

And now without the massive list of names...
[Sorry I forgot to strip them last time]

Ian