strathspey Archive: Aboynes for demonstrations

Aboynes for demonstrations

Message 21273 · Stronshiray · 17 May 2000 23:17:39 · Top

I think that the Aboyne can look very formal. In the Delaware Valley Branch,
the more recently made ones have one-piece chemises with fluttery chiffon
sleeves, which look very pretty. Also, with the amount of lace one can put
onto an Aboyne and the variation in ostentatiousness of the buttons, an
Aboyne can be extremely formal looking. But I suppose that's just my
opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else's.
Regards,
Eleanor Mulhern
RSCDS DVB

Aboynes for demonstrations

Message 21279 · Iain E. Garden Richardson · 18 May 2000 11:52:56 · Top

Personally I think that a formal ladies' costume should be long. The
formal mens' outfits (kilt + Prince Charlie, Sherriffmuir, Montrose
etc) tend to be worn at social events where women are in long
dresses (e.g. ball dresses). For most of the period over which the
mens outfit has developed (last 100-200 years) ladies would never
have worn shorter dresses at formal dances. When we perform,
we're demonstrating dances that originally developed as social
dances, so in my opinion the costume should reflect this.

Cheers

Iain

Date sent: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:16:57 EDT
From: Stronshiray@aol.com
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Aboynes for demonstrations

> I think that the Aboyne can look very formal. In the Delaware Valley Branch,
> the more recently made ones have one-piece chemises with fluttery chiffon
> sleeves, which look very pretty. Also, with the amount of lace one can put
> onto an Aboyne and the variation in ostentatiousness of the buttons, an
> Aboyne can be extremely formal looking. But I suppose that's just my
> opinion, which is no more valid than anyone else's.
> Regards,
> Eleanor Mulhern
> RSCDS DVB
>
> --
> Stronshiray@aol.com

---
Dr Iain E. G. Richardson
Lecturer and researcher
School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering
The Robert Gordon University, Schoolhill, Aberdeen, Scotland, AB10 1FR
Telephone (0)(+44)1224 262403 Facsimile (0)(+44)1224 262444
Email i.g.richardson@rgu.ac.uk