strathspey Archive: Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21148 · Patricia Ruggiero · 4 May 2000 12:29:12 · Top

This request is on behalf of one of our basic dancers, one aspect of whose
employment seems to be maintaining a Wedding web site wherein such questions
as this one are answered. She put the question to the class last night and
the only suggestion she received was Mairi's Wedding, offered by about six
different dancers. Imaginative lot we are....

So -- what music would be suitable for a Scottish wedding? Classical or
popular. Dance or song tunes. Anything special a piper would play?

Please copy your suggestions to Pam: PMH6X@virginia.edu

Thanks from both of us.

Pat Ruggiero

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21150 · Stella Fogg · 4 May 2000 16:54:24 · Top

Hi Patricia,
Last month this question was posed on "The Glasgow Patter". Only responses
were:
Highland Cathedral
Rowan Tree
Flower of Scotland
Scots Wha Hae

Stella Fogg
Richmond, VA

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21152 · Richard Henderson · 4 May 2000 19:07:11 · Top

Please forgive vagueness resulting from poor memory, but isn't there a
rather attractive thing called the Eriskay Love Lilt, or similar? And there
is no shortage of romantic settings of Burns' love poetry - Love is like a
Red, Red Rose etc.
> This request is on behalf of one of our basic dancers, one aspect of whose
> employment seems to be maintaining a Wedding web site wherein such
questions
> as this one are answered. She put the question to the class last night
and
> the only suggestion she received was Mairi's Wedding, offered by about six
> different dancers. Imaginative lot we are....
>
> So -- what music would be suitable for a Scottish wedding? Classical or
> popular. Dance or song tunes. Anything special a piper would play?
>
> Please copy your suggestions to Pam: PMH6X@virginia.edu
>
> Thanks from both of us.
>
> Pat Ruggiero

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21154 · Hugh Goldie · 4 May 2000 20:56:00 · Top

Corn Rigs
The Lea Rig
Haste to the Wedding
Betty's Wedding
Bon Accord (Tune: The Bonnie Lass o' Bon Accord)
John McAlpin, Red House (not exactly about weddings, but flirtacious)
The Triumph (about wooing)

These are off the top of my head. I haven't danced a lot lately, so the
exact titles and spelling may be off.

I asked the he Scottish Country Dance database
<http://mars.tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de:8000/dd/> to search for the
word "wedding" and got the following:

This is the result of your query for `wedding'. 83 matches were found:

Anita's Wedding (Medley-64, Swirles, George)
Another SCD Wedding (Strathspey-32, Beattie, Bob)
Atsuko's Wedding (Reel-32, Grant, Bob)
Autumn Wedding (Strathspey-40, Moss, John)
Beth's Wedding (Strathspey-40, Quinnel, Cliff)
Betty's Wedding (Medley-32, Cosh, James B)
Cape Town Wedding (Strathspey-32, Kerr, Tom)
Caroline Robertson's Wedding (Strathspey-64, Robertson, John)
Catherine McIsaac's Wedding Day (Jig-32, Mitchell, John W)
Cessford Wedding (Strathspey-32, Ottawa Branch RSCDS)
China Wedding, The (Reel-32, Burden, John)
Chrissie's Wedding (Medley-96, (unknown))
Concord Wedding, A (Strathspey-64, Haines, Susan)
Coral Wedding, The (Jig-32, Derrick, Lewis N)
Dorothy's Wedding (Reel-32, Attwood, Jean)
Easter Wedding (Reel-40, New Forest Scottish Country Dancers)
Eileen's Wedding (Medley-64, Wilde, Ken)
Fiona's Wedding (Strathspey-76, Mitchell, John W)
Gaelic Wedding, The (Reel-32, Cannonito, Frank)
Gillian's Wedding (Strathspey-48, Robertson, John)
Golden Wedding Strathspey, The (Strathspey-40, Ashton, Jimmy)
Golden Wedding, A (Reel-32, Boehmer, Marie)
Haste To The Wedding (Jig-32, (unknown))
Helen's Wedding (Strathspey-40, Bell, Dorothy)
Helen's Wedding (Medley-64, Rhodes, Harry)
Highland Wedding (Jig-32, (unknown))
Highland Wedding (Reel-40, Johnson (18C))
Janet's Wedding (Strathspey-32, Swirles, George)
John & Christine's Wedding (Strathspey-32, Neilson, Arthur)
Joyce's Wedding (Medley-64, Wilde, Ken)
Katja's Wedding (Reel-32, Kuhnt, Sonja / Taeger, Dirk)
Linda's Wedding/Don's Delight (Medley-64, Gertz, Don)
Mairi's Wedding (Reel-40, Cosh, James B)
Marcia's Wedding (Jig-128, Gray, Betty)
Margaret's Silver Wedding (Strathspey-40, Coutts, Frank)
Margaret's Wedding (Medley-32, Bradley, Jenny)
Marlis' Wedding (Reel-40, Munich)
Mary Bain's Wedding (Jig-32, McMurtry, Brian)
Murray's Wedding (Jig-32, (unknown))
November Wedding (Strathspey-40, Howarth, Nicola)
October Wedding (Medley-96, Watson, Marilyn)
Paul & Margie's Wedding (Strathspey-32, (unknown))
Paul and Marjie's Wedding (Strathspey-32, Andrako, Michele)
Peggy's Wedding (Jig-64, Drysdale, George)
Penny Wedding, A (Reel-32, Skelton, Barry)
Penny Wedding, The (Reel-32, Boyd, Iain)
Queen's Wedding (Strathspey-32, Queen, Alex)
Royal Wedding, The (Strathspey-32, MacKinnon, Gene A)
Ruby Wedding Jig, The (Jig-32, Robertson, John)
Ruby Wedding Strathspey (Strathspey-32, (unknown))
Ruby Wedding Strathspey, The (Strathspey-80, (unknown))
Ruth And John's Wedding (Jig-32, Boehmer, Marie)
Scottish Wedding, A (Reel-88, Blaschke, Marilyn)
September Wedding, The (Reel-32, Lingnau, Anselm)
Sheena's Wedding (Strathspey-48, Motts, Judy)
Sheila's Wedding (Reel-32, Johnstone, Jackie)
Silver Wedding Strathspey (Strathspey-32, Barbour, Ian)
Silver Wedding, The (Jig-32, Ferguson, Jean / Noden, Dick)
Silver Wedding, The (Reel-40, Gibbs, Margaret)
Silver Wedding, The (Reel-32, Muir, Sheila)
Sunday Is My Wedding Day (Jig-48, Mitchell, John W)
Thurso Wedding, The (Reel-32, Mitchell, John W)
TInker's Wedding (Jig-48, (unknown))
Troy's Wedding (Jig-48, Hastings, Peter)
Valentine Wedding Knot, A (Jig-32, Cannonito, Frank)
Valerie's Wedding (Reel-64, Jones, David)
Valley Wedding, The (Strathspey-32, Wallace, Jane)
We Canna Gang Tae Brenda's Wedding (Jig-32, Moretti, Tony)
Wedding At Roche Harbor (Strathspey-32, Sigg, Claudette)
Wedding Bells, The (Jig-32, Lingnau, Anselm)
Wedding Bouquet, The (Medley-104, Sigg, Claudette)
Wedding Day (Strathspey-32, McColl, Jeanetta)
Wedding In Balquhidder, A (Strathspey-32, Drewry, John)
Wedding Knot, The (Medley-160, Fyfe, J & Hutton, Neil)
Wedding Knot, The (Reel-32, Clarke, Douglas)
Wedding Medley (Medley-64, (unknown))
Wedding Night, The (Jig-48, Mitchell, John W)
Wedding Of Bonnie Jean (Strathspey-72, Teachers Association Canada)
Wedding Reel, The (Reel-32, Dickson, John Bowie)
Wedding, The (Medley-32, Clarke, Douglas)
Wedding, The (Reel-32, Bolt, Tessa)
Wendy's Wedding (Jig-32, Cannonito, Frank)
Whitby Wedding (Jig-40, Nixon, Sandy)

Hugh Goldie Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
goldie@duke.usask.ca

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21155 · John P. McClure · 4 May 2000 23:19:08 · Top

I thought the suggestion of thinking of Burns' songs and related tunes was
a very good one; any book or list of Scottish songs is likely to be a good
source. How about: Duncan Gray; Flow Gently, Sweet Afton; Bonnie Wee
Thing; The Lea Rig? And, if Corn Rigs is OK for a wedding, why not Comin'
Through the Rye, or Green Grow the Rashes? Good contemporay tunes might be
If Ever You Were Mine, and The Wedding Gift; surely many others as well,
but these came up pretty well without thinking about it. Sounds like a
nice occasion.

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21158 · SMiskoe · 5 May 2000 07:28:04 · Top

Wow, what a list. I thought that the original query was to find out what
dances might be suitable to do for the whole wedding guests. That is very
different from a demonstration or having selected dancers doing a wedding
theme.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21169 · Ginger Pierce · 6 May 2000 03:13:39 · Top

"Marrit Man's Favorite" comes to mind as far as dances. Depending on the
couple's sense of humor, maybe "Red House" ("Where Would Bonnie Annie Lie").

There's a tune called "Kiss Under the Stairs", I think. My brain's not
working well tonight.

At our wedding the piper played several good pieces. Processional was a
traditional tune, "The Lass Whom I Adore" (the actual title is in Gaelic and
I can't remember it offhand) and "Highland Cathedral" for the bride's walk
down. He also played "Amazing Grace". As the recessional he played "Ode to
Joy". That really sounds wonderful on the pipes!

All I can come up with at the moment.

Take care,
Ginger Pierce
Asheville, NC USA

Suitable music for a Scottish wedding

Message 21186 · OThinius · 8 May 2000 11:36:29 · Top

Maybe a bit late:

"Eriskay Love Lilt"=20
from Kennedy-Fraser: "Songs of the Hebrides", Booesey & Hawkes (London)

"The Highland Wedding"
Pipe March (6 parts, enough to march them in or out of the church)
from (for example): Scots Guards: "Standard Settings of Pipe Music Vol. 1",=20
Paterson=B4s Publications, London

Best regards,=20

Oliver Thinius
Muelheim/Germany