strathspey Archive: How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21133 · Marilynn Knight · 28 Apr 2000 16:19:31 · Top

I would like to teach them to my class, but my memory isn't fully
re-constructing. Would someone have a copy handy to share? Much, much
thanks in advance.

Marilynn Latta Knight
In South Carolina, where the weather is currently quite grey....(This,
too, shall pass.:-))

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21134 · Dietmar Hahm · 28 Apr 2000 16:44:11 · Top

Dies ist eine mehrteilige Nachricht im MIME-Format.
--------------32E09E6B7805A84799E620E7

Marilynn Knight schrieb:

> I would like to teach them to my class, but my memory isn't fully
> re-constructing. Would someone have a copy handy to share? Much, much
> thanks in advance.

Hi Marilynn,

I found the following word in the web
(http://home.t-online.de/home/pheld/texte.htm#Schottland).

Mairi`s Wedding (Schottland)
F B C
Step we gaily on we go, heel for heel and toe for toe.
F B C
Arm in arm and on we go, all for Mairi`s wedding.
F B F
1. Over hills and up and down myrtle green and bracken brown.
F B C
Past the sheiling through the town all for sake of Mairi.

2. Plenty herring plenty meal, plenty peat tae fill her creel, plenty bonny
bairns as wheel, that`s the toast for Mairi.

3. Cheeks as bright as rowans are, brighter far than any star, fairest of
them all by far, is my darling Mairi.

ciao

Dietmar

--------------32E09E6B7805A84799E620E7

begin:vcard=20
n:Hahm;Dietmar
tel;cell:+49-172-9976304
tel;fax:+49-5251-60-3157
tel;home:+49-5246-934029
tel;work:+49-5251-60-3157
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://lea.uni-paderborn.de/Personal/hahm/hahm.html
org:Universit=E4t Paderborn;Leistungselektronik
adr:;;Warburger Stra=DFe 100;33098 Paderborn;Nordrhein-Westfalen;;Deutsch=
land
version:2.1
email;internet:hahm@lea.uni-paderborn.de
title:Dipl.-Ing.
note:B=FCro: IW 0.632
x-mozilla-cpt:;-20080
fn:Dietmar Hahm
end:vcard

--------------32E09E6B7805A84799E620E7--

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21137 · Elainerb · 28 Apr 2000 20:15:01 · Top

In a message dated 4/28/00 8:44:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hahm@lea.upb.de
writes:

The words to Mairi's wedding. I'm guessing it was a German translation?
Hope you don't mind but I changed a couple to be the common Scottish words.

Elaine (Virginia, USA)

<< Mairi`s Wedding (Schottland)
F B C
Step we gaily on we go, heel for heel and toe for toe.
F B C
Arm in arm and row on row, all for Mairi`s wedding.
F B F
1. Over hillways, up and down, myrtle green and bracken brown.
F B C
Past the sheiling, through the town, all for sake o' Mairi.

2. Red her cheeks as rowans are, bright her eyes as any star,
fairest o' them a' by far, is our darling Mairi.

3. Plenty herring, plenty meal, plenty peat tae fill her creel,
plenty bonnie bairns as weel, that`s the toast for Mairi.

o' -of
a' - all
tae - to
Bonnie bairns - beautiful children
Weel - Well
Creel - basket
sheiling - shepherds hut

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21138 · hways · 29 Apr 2000 05:56:39 · Top

Marilynn Knight wrote:

> I would like to teach them to my class, but my memory isn't fully
> re-constructing. Would someone have a copy handy to share?

Words and music may be found in "Songs of the Isles", a collection of
Island and Highland tunes from various sources, arranged by Hugh S.
Roberton, under the title "Lewis Bridal Song". "Mairi's Wedding" is shown
as an alternate title for that song in parenthesis below the primary
title.And to complicate the search, there is another, different, song in
that book titled "Marie's Wedding".

Harry Ways

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21139 · Keith Eric Grant · 29 Apr 2000 06:09:35 · Top

Marilynn Knight wrote:

> I would like to teach them to my class, but my memory isn't fully
> re-constructing. Would someone have a copy handy to share? Much, much
> thanks in advance.

May it be duly known, that Mairi's Wedding is among the words and melodies
included in the San Francisco Branch Ceilidh Songbook
http://www.rscds-sf.org/bkstore.html#Books The full table of contents is
also linked to this page.

...Keith

--

I Keith Eric Grant I We must remember that everything I

How may I obtain words to Mairi's Wedding?

Message 21141 · hways · 30 Apr 2000 04:01:15 · Top

Since the emphasis has been on the words, I should have mentioned in my
earlier comment that the words for Lewis Bridal Song/Mairi's Wedding were
written by Hugh S. Roberton, to a traditional tune noted from Dr. Peter A.
MacLeod and arranged by Mr. Roberton.

Harry