strathspey Archive: C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe

C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe

Message 20598 · Freeman/Pavey · 2 Mar 2000 17:41:57 · Top

I just received my second message from a Scottish Country Dancer with an
attachment containing the PrettyPark.exe virus. Both messages were from
SCDers in Eastern Ontario, but I think other SCDers should take note,
particularly those with "friends" in Ontario, Canada (or for that
matter, friends of friends). In both cases the senders were, of course,
unaware that there computers were infected and sending the virus
messages.

Both messages had the above subject box message.

Cole Pavey
http://members.rideau.net/tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe

Message 20602 · James T. Simmons · 2 Mar 2000 18:14:21 · Top

I caught it too, although not from an SCD'er. Fortunately, PrettyPark is
not distructive, and it's easy to erase from your system. For instructions
on removing it, go to:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/prettypark.worm.html.

One thing the instructions don't tell you: after you have fixed the
registers, you need to exit Windows and delete the file in DOS. Anybody
remember DOS?

Feel free to contact me privately if you're concerned you have it, or if you
want help removing it.

Jim Simmons
Clinton Twp, Michigan, USA
jtsimmons@prodigy.net

C:\CoolProgs\Pretty Park.exe

Message 20603 · Freeman/Pavey · 2 Mar 2000 18:44:40 · Top

"James T. Simmons" wrote:

> Anybody remember DOS?

Funny you mention that. I just got a new computer and set up some rescue
disks which will allow me to boot it into DOS if it crashes irrevocably.
DOS? Is that in North America or Europe? If I have to go to DOS to get
my computer I'd be more likely to boot it into the back yard.

Cole Pavey