strathspey Archive: Alltshellach

Alltshellach

Message 20487 · Freeman/Pavey · 23 Feb 2000 17:50:39 · Top

Can anyone tell me what the title of the strathspey Alltshellach
means, if anything?

Cole Pavey
Maberly, Ontario Canada
http://members.rideau.net/tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Alltshellach

Message 20488 · Anselm Lingnau · 23 Feb 2000 18:00:48 · Top

Cole Pavey <tay@rideau.net> writes:

> Can anyone tell me what the title of the strathspey Alltshellach
> means, if anything?

Generally, the Gaelic word `allt' means `burn' or `creek', as in `small
river'. If you look at Ordnance Survey maps of the highlands you can see
lots and lots of those! So `Alltshellach' would be the name of a body of
water somewhere in Scotland.

In fact, when Derek Haynes taught the dance at a workshop not so long
ago, he mentioned that the `Alltshellach' in question is the name of a
house on the shore of Loch Leven. I forget whose house, but perhaps
somebody else can add that information.

Anselm
Are cats lazy? Well, more power to them if they are. Which one of us has not
entertained the dream of doing just as he likes, when and how he likes, and as
much as he likes? -- Fernand Mery

Alltshellach

Message 20489 · Kent Smith · 23 Feb 2000 18:13:03 · Top

As I recall, it is now a small hotel or guest house. Someone once found a
brochure on it with picture and all. I have a photocopy in my files at
home. Again, if my memory is correct, it looks like an elegant and very
ornate Victorian, but I'm more vague on this last point.

Kent

In fact, when Derek Haynes taught the dance at a workshop not so long
ago, he mentioned that the `Alltshellach' in question is the name of a
house on the shore of Loch Leven. I forget whose house, but perhaps
somebody else can add that information.

Alltshellach

Message 20490 · Melbourne Briscoe · 23 Feb 2000 18:28:25 · Top

I typed Alltshellach into Altavista and got
http://www.pyb.co.uk/info/alltsh.htm. Apparently it is owned by HF
Holidays and has a very nice bar....
- Mel

At 11:13 AM 2/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>As I recall, it is now a small hotel or guest house. Someone once found a
>brochure on it with picture and all. I have a photocopy in my files at
>home. Again, if my memory is correct, it looks like an elegant and very
>ornate Victorian, but I'm more vague on this last point.
>
> Kent

Alltshellach

Message 20500 · Murray Wilson · 24 Feb 2000 11:43:23 · Top

To our delight, we stumbled apon Alltshellach down a side road south of Fort
william, it is a beautifull old house that was once owned, I think by the
Bishop of Argyle and then at a later stage it became a military hospital, it
is now owned by FM Holidays. I had a look through the entrance and spoke to
a lass about the place, although we couldn't have a look through, we were
welcome to wander around the outside. The property
goes down to a small headland and looks across the Loch to Glen Coe.
For me,the place had a very special feel about it and I couldn't help but
wonder just who had stood on that beautiful place and what acts of
scottish history had taken place or had been planned there. I remember
looking across to Glen Coe without fully realizing just what an impact that
village would have on me. I have some wonderful photo's,
memories and video of that very special area. Forgive me for rambling
on, but for me, it is a very beautiful, special part of Scotland.

Cheers

Murray Wilson
Auckland NZ

Alltshellach

Message 20514 · Bryan McAlister · 24 Feb 2000 20:14:23 · Top

In article <3.0.5.32.20000223112705.00aeea70@pop.mindspring.com>,
Melbourne Briscoe <Mel@Briscoe.com> writes
>I typed Alltshellach into Altavista and got
>http://www.pyb.co.uk/info/alltsh.htm. Apparently it is owned by HF
>Holidays and has a very nice bar....
For those who dont know HF Holidays -used to be Holiday Fellowship - is
an organisation that provides organised walking holidays at all levels
and often traditional dancing in the evening. There are bases all over
Britain.
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849
Please note new FAX number - UK 0870 052 7625 International 44 870 052 7625