strathspey Archive: computer question

Previous thread: Welcome to Glasgow
Next thread: Highland Dance List??

computer question

Message 19386 · Dianna Shipman · 16 Nov 1999 10:27:06 · Top

I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text that the web
address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have to copy and paste it
in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such addresses to make them
clickable (or not)?
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212

computer question

Message 19387 · Alan Paterson · 16 Nov 1999 10:57:25 · Top

Dianna Shipman wrote:

> I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text that the web
> address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have to copy and paste it
> in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such addresses to make them
> clickable (or not)?

If you just write the URL without the protocol, then it is not 'clickable'

I.e. www.scottap.com/dancedata/

If you add on the 'protocol' (excude the techno-speak), then it is.

I.e. http://www.scottap.com/dancedata/

The same applies to e-mail addresses:

alan@scottap.com and mailto:alan@scottap.com

Alan

computer question

Message 19389 · Ian Brockbank · 16 Nov 1999 11:34:37 · Top

Hi Dianna,

> I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text
> that the web address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have
> to copy and paste it in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such
> addresses to make them clickable (or not)?

I suspect you need to make sure they start with http:// (as all true
web addresses do, despite what the browser people would have you
think).

Cheers,

Ian
--
Ian Brockbank, Indigo Active Vision Systems, The Edinburgh Technopole,
Bush Loan, Edinburgh EH26 0PJ Tel: 0131-475-7234 Fax: 0131-475-7201
work: ian@indigo-avs.com personal: Ian.Brockbank@bigfoot.com
web: ScottishDance@bigfoot.com http://www.scottishdance.net/
Feed the World http://www.hungersite.com/

computer question

Message 19396 · Ailya Rose · 16 Nov 1999 16:53:43 · Top

Actually, the fact that you add the protocol or not is apparently not the
only deciding factor. I was successfully able to click on each of your
examples. I use Outlook Express 5.0 as my e-mail/news reader.
Unfortunately, I am not sure just what is the deciding factor.

Ailya Rose

(excuse the divergence from strictly dance)

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Paterson <alanp@paranor.ch>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 12:58 AM
Subject: Re: computer question

> Dianna Shipman wrote:
>
> > I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text that the
web
> > address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have to copy and paste
it
> > in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such addresses to make them
> > clickable (or not)?
>
> If you just write the URL without the protocol, then it is not 'clickable'
>
> I.e. www.scottap.com/dancedata/
>
> If you add on the 'protocol' (excude the techno-speak), then it is.
>
> I.e. http://www.scottap.com/dancedata/
>
> The same applies to e-mail addresses:
>
> alan@scottap.com and mailto:alan@scottap.com
>
> Alan
>
>

computer question

Message 19405 · John Chambers · 16 Nov 1999 22:30:45 · Top

+AilyaR <arose_ca@sprynet.COM> wrote:

Actually, the fact that you add the protocol or not is apparently not the
only deciding factor. I was successfully able to click on each of your
examples. I use Outlook Express 5.0 as my e-mail/news reader.
Unfortunately, I am not sure just what is the deciding factor.

The best answer is that there is no general way to guarantee that a
URL is "clickable". From the above, it sound like Outlook Express 5.0
is one of the mail readers that looks for anything that resembles an
address and turns it into a link. At the other extreme, I'm using a
plain-text reader, and I see everything exactly as it arrived, with
no interpretation by the reader. We Unix types often like to do this,
since we can always feed any message to a program with only a few
keystrokes. And a dumb reader insulates us from all the email worms
and virii that have plagued the Windows world of late.

(We got bit by this sort of thing 20 years ago, and it's now part of
the Unix "culture": You don't *ever* want software to automatically
evaluate incoming messages from unknown sources. Maybe eventually
users of non-Unix systems will also learn this lesson. ;-)

As long as there are more than one email reader out there, you have
no control over how a message looks to a reader, or how it gets
processed at the other end. The only way this will change is if some
vendor gets enough clout to outlaw all competition, and this probably
won't happen real soon. Among other things, it would require the
elimination of all variants of Unix, since such systems make it easy
for programmers to write their own programs to process incoming email
however they wish.

computer question

Message 19409 · Dianna Shipman · 17 Nov 1999 00:09:52 · Top

Alan - this is driving me nuts - all your examples on my machine are
clickable but on the emails I send out some things are clickable and some
aren't and so far I haven't figured out why - thanks - I'll keep trying to
figure it out - I'm convinced this machine has a mind of it's own!
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212
----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Paterson <alanp@paranor.ch>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 2:58 AM
Subject: Re: computer question

> Dianna Shipman wrote:
>
> > I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text that the
web
> > address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have to copy and paste
it
> > in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such addresses to make them
> > clickable (or not)?
>
> If you just write the URL without the protocol, then it is not 'clickable'
>
> I.e. www.scottap.com/dancedata/
>
> If you add on the 'protocol' (excude the techno-speak), then it is.
>
> I.e. http://www.scottap.com/dancedata/
>
> The same applies to e-mail addresses:
>
> alan@scottap.com and mailto:alan@scottap.com
>
> Alan
>
>
>

computer question

Message 19410 · Dianna Shipman · 17 Nov 1999 00:09:59 · Top

I've tried it using the htpp:// in all sorts of ways and still get no
consistent results.
Thanks,
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212
----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Brockbank <ian@indigo-avs.com>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 3:33 AM
Subject: RE: computer question

> Hi Dianna,
>
> > I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text
> > that the web address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have
> > to copy and paste it in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such
> > addresses to make them clickable (or not)?
>
> I suspect you need to make sure they start with http:// (as all true
> web addresses do, despite what the browser people would have you
> think).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Brockbank, Indigo Active Vision Systems, The Edinburgh Technopole,
> Bush Loan, Edinburgh EH26 0PJ Tel: 0131-475-7234 Fax: 0131-475-7201
> work: ian@indigo-avs.com personal: Ian.Brockbank@bigfoot.com
> web: ScottishDance@bigfoot.com http://www.scottishdance.net/
> Feed the World http://www.hungersite.com/
>

computer question

Message 19413 · Keith Grant · 17 Nov 1999 00:51:50 · Top

Dianna Shipman wrote:
>
> I've tried it using the htpp:// in all sorts of ways and still get no
> consistent results.
> Thanks,
> Dianna

Well, and I can SEE WHY, (says I huffingly, ready to duck behind something
solid should she decide to propel a loose object in my direction)

Normally, http stands for hyper-text transfer protocol. As to htpp, I'd
probably just get myself into trouble if I let my mind start free
associating on its potential meanings.

For my Netscape Communicator, seeing the http:// makes it something live to
click on. In fact, earlier Ian posted just this fragment and it was active
(it didn't go anywhere, but that's a different matter). It may be that
outlook does a more thorough scan, looking also for snippits starting with
"www.", but Netscape doesn't react to those, demanding the CORRECT protocol
be present. And such should be the case with a list on SCD -- after all,
don't we value correct protocol almost above all?

...Keith

--

+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
I Keith Eric Grant I We must remember that everything I
I <keg@strathspey.llnl.gov> I is ordinary and extraordinary. It I
I--------------------------------------I is our minds that either open or I
I Over the hills, but not too far away I close. Details are not good or I
I from the San Francisco East Bay I bad. They are details. -- Natalie I
I I Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones I
+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

computer question

Message 19422 · John Chambers · 17 Nov 1999 03:39:29 · Top

Keith Eric Grant <keg@strathspey.llnl.GOV> writes:

For my Netscape Communicator, seeing the http:// makes it something live to
click on. In fact, earlier Ian posted just this fragment and it was active
(it didn't go anywhere, but that's a different matter). It may be that
outlook does a more thorough scan, looking also for snippits starting with
"www.", but Netscape doesn't react to those, demanding the CORRECT protocol
be present. And such should be the case with a list on SCD -- after all,
don't we value correct protocol almost above all?

Ya got that right. What I'd like to add is that there are a lot of
programs out there now that understand the notation:
<URL:whatever>
and displays just the whatever as a hyperlink. So you could write:
<URL:http://foo.bar.com/~joe/>
and what the recipient would see is http://foo.bar.com/~joe/ in the
appropriate hyperlink color. Similarly,
<URL:mailto:joe@foo.bar.com>
would show mailto:joe@foo.bar.com and it would act as an email link.
This is officially approved in some RFC or other from a couple years
back, and is a shorthand for the correct HTML:
<a href="whatever">whatever</a>

I wonder how many email readers understand this now? I know that
I've seen it work on several people's screens, but I have no idea
how universal it is.

computer question

Message 19423 · Mettler, Klaus · 17 Nov 1999 09:04:29 · Top

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF30CA.1BD9A07C
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Hi Dianna,

I can't add anything to protocols, URLs there notation and so on.
I think all varieties of program-actions were described in other=20
mails.

But there should be a notice to your notation of your web-address.
In your emails you wrote: "http://home.att.net/~diannashipman",=20
this should be clickable but causes navigation errors sometimes.
This is, because the web path is incomplete. The complete address
I think is "http://home.att.net/~diannashipman/index.html", where=20
"index.html" is the default document and can be left and=20
"http://home.att.net/~diannashipman/" is the path.=20
If there is the last slash missing in the path some browsers,=20
sometimes can't find the address (once they find, once they
find not, I don't know why).

Klaus Mettler
Stuttgart / Germany
Email: mailto:klaus.mettler@gmx.de=20
Homepage: http://www.angelfire.com/de/tamburin/=20
oder http://www.tamburin.de
Scottish Country Dancing in Stuttgart, Schw=E4bisch Gm=FCnd, Denkendorf =

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF30CA.1BD9A07C
Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
name="Mettler, Klaus (LFUST).vcf"
Content-Disposition: attachment;
filename="Mettler, Klaus (LFUST).vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Mettler;Klaus
FN:Mettler, Klaus (LFUST)
TEL;WORK;VOICE:0711/126-1944
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Klaus.Mettler@LFUST.LFU.BWL.DE
REV:19990409T104152Z
END:VCARD

------_=_NextPart_000_01BF30CA.1BD9A07C--

computer question

Message 19424 · Sue Wartell ext. 3387 · 17 Nov 1999 15:07:50 · Top

This feature also depends on the mail reader and operating system and
windowing system you are using. I run dtmail in a Solaris 2.6
environment - on Solaris 2.5 and/or Open Windows, the links are not
active, but on Solaris 2.6 and/or CDE, they are. (I haven't tested
all the combinations to determine where the limitation lies; I just
save mail with links I am interested in until I'm back in the
environment where I can click to check them out.) I have _no_ idea of
how this behaves in the various Microsoft products.

Sue

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

I've tried it using the htpp:// in all sorts of ways and still get no
consistent results.
Thanks,
Dianna
In response to Ian's comment:

> Hi Dianna,
>
> > I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text
> > that the web address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have
> > to copy and paste it in) - does anyone know why - how to insert
such
> > addresses to make them clickable (or not)?
>
> I suspect you need to make sure they start with http:// (as all true
> web addresses do, despite what the browser people would have you
> think).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian
> --
> Ian Brockbank, Indigo Active Vision Systems, The Edinburgh
Technopole,

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------

computer question

Message 19430 · John Chambers · 17 Nov 1999 18:00:50 · Top

"Mettler, Klaus (LFUST)" <Klaus.Mettler@lfust.lfu.bwl.DE> writes:

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

(This mail reader doesn't understand much; it lets me take care of
the "understanding" part. ;-)

But there should be a notice to your notation of your web-address.
In your emails you wrote: "http://home.att.net/~diannashipman",=20
this should be clickable but causes navigation errors sometimes.
This is, because the web path is incomplete. The complete address
I think is "http://home.att.net/~diannashipman/index.html", where=20
"index.html" is the default document and can be left and=20
"http://home.att.net/~diannashipman/" is the path.=20
If there is the last slash missing in the path some browsers,=20
sometimes can't find the address (once they find, once they
find not, I don't know why).

What's going on is actually a bit more complex. If the final / is
omitted from a directory URL, HTTP requires that the server reject
it. They do this in different ways. Here is what Dianna's server says
when I fetch that URL with my web tester:

: w3cat +H http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily
Server: Netscape-Enterprise/3.6 SP3
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 15:32:36 GMT
Location: http://135.145.253.40/~diannashipman/
Content-length: 0
Content-type: text/html
Connection: close

It then drops the connection. If the client program recognizes that
Location: line and tries again, then the user thinks that the URL
"worked". Actually, it failed but the software figured out what was
wrong. The fetch took longer than necessary, and produced excess Net
traffic, because two connections were required to get it right.

With some servers, the client actually gets a "404 NOT FOUND" error,
or any of several other errors. So figuring out that the final slash
is needed isn't trivial, and different releases of different browsers
are likely to fail to solve the problem for various servers.

The "/index.html" isn't actually all that good an idea. This is what
might be called a "standard default". That is, the original web
servers (both the CERN and NSC servers) looked for this file by
default, but it was configurable. The apache server has copied this,
and most commercial servers (except for Microsoft's, of course ;-) do
the same. Most webmasters don't bother changing it, but they can.
It's just one line in a config file. So index.html isn't guaranteed
to work. It's better to just end with the slash, and let the server
figure out if the directory has a default HTML file.

(If I add a 'R' redirect option to my tester, it gets her page, but
there is no clue from the server that it is called "index.html".)

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Mettler;Klaus
FN:Mettler, Klaus (LFUST)
TEL;WORK;VOICE:0711/126-1944
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Klaus.Mettler@LFUST.LFU.BWL.DE
REV:19990409T104152Z
END:VCARD

Interesting. I wonder how standard this is. I've seen a number of
them, and I've been thinking of writing my own little program to
extract the data and add it to my own database. I wonder if the lines
are actually documented anywhere?

computer question

Message 19434 · Alex Tweedly · 17 Nov 1999 18:45:39 · Top

At 11:00 am 11/17/1999 -0500, John Chambers,,,781-647-1813 wrote:

>
> BEGIN:VCARD
> VERSION:2.1
> N:Mettler;Klaus
> FN:Mettler, Klaus (LFUST)
> TEL;WORK;VOICE:0711/126-1944
> EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:Klaus.Mettler@LFUST.LFU.BWL.DE
> REV:19990409T104152Z
> END:VCARD
>
>Interesting. I wonder how standard this is. I've seen a number of
>them, and I've been thinking of writing my own little program to
>extract the data and add it to my own database. I wonder if the lines
>are actually documented anywhere?
>

Yes, you can start from http://www.whatis.com/vcard.htm

or if you want to leap straight into somewhat more techie stuff,
http://www.imc.org/pdi/vcardwhite.html

Rather than feel guilty about this email having no connection to SCD, I'll
point out that the purpose of a vCard is to provide a format and protocol
for cooperative exchange of personal info in a controlled manner.
Kind of like dancing :-)

-- Alex Tweedly, San Francisco and Oban

computer question

Message 19451 · CLubitz · 18 Nov 1999 06:08:29 · Top

i thought it was "clique"

computer question

Message 19453 · Richard L. Walker · 18 Nov 1999 06:19:29 · Top

Dang spelling checker said, "No problem, let it rip."

-----Original Message-----
From: CLubitz@aol.com [mailto:CLubitz@aol.com]

i thought it was "clique"

computer question

Message 19467 · ron.mackey · 19 Nov 1999 00:10:28 · Top

> From: CLubitz@aol.com
> Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:07:28 EST
> Subject: Re: computer question
> To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> Reply-to: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de

> i thought it was "clique"
>

Or a"Claque". Do I have it right that a claque is a noisy and/or
offensive Clique? :-)

Cheers, Ron :)

< 0 Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

computer question

Message 19469 · Dianna Shipman · 19 Nov 1999 00:11:58 · Top

Richard - how would you have liked to have been prompted - a verbal cue? a
phonetic cue? sound effects from the computer giving time to retype? :-)
:-)
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212
----- Original Message -----
From: Richard L Walker <rlwalker@granis.net>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 3:04 PM
Subject: RE: computer question

> Whoa ... only one apology per mistake. :-)
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: M Sheffield [mailto:martin.sheffield@wanadoo.fr]
> ...On another subject -- is someone not confusing clicks and cliques?
> (>a tightly knit group of individuals who tend to look down in a snobbish
> way...)...
>
>
>

computer question

Message 19471 · Dianna Shipman · 19 Nov 1999 00:46:43 · Top

Maybe it's Clique and Claque - I think they have a car show out of Boston.
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212
----- Original Message -----
From: <ron.mackey@post.btinternet.com>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 1999 4:09 PM
Subject: Re: computer question

> > From: CLubitz@aol.com
> > Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 23:07:28 EST
> > Subject: Re: computer question
> > To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> > Reply-to: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
>
> > i thought it was "clique"
> >
>
> Or a"Claque". Do I have it right that a claque is a noisy and/or
> offensive Clique? :-)
>
>
> Cheers, Ron :)
>
> < 0 Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
> 'O> Mottingham,
> /#\ London. UK.
> l>
> Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com
>
>

computer question

Message 19480 · Martin.Sheffield · 19 Nov 1999 17:41:50 · Top

At 22:09 18/11/99 +0000, you wrote:
> Do I have it right that a claque is a noisy and/or offensive Clique? :-)

Or a slap in the face, whichever you prefer.

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

computer question

Message 19491 · CLubitz · 20 Nov 1999 07:03:29 · Top

i always thought a claque was a person (persons?) hired to clap for opera
singers.

we were at the nyc opera last week. saw carmen. great opera but the singing
was
not very good. this guy in our aisle would clap enormously loud after each
aria,
and yell brava or bravo very loud. it was embarrassing, because the audience
didn't clap very loud, so he really stood out.

cece

computer question

Message 19416 · Bryan McAlister · 17 Nov 1999 01:48:46 · Top

In article <E11npFN-0002ZP-00@trillian.mit.edu>, John
Chambers,,,781-647-1813 <jc@trillian.mit.edu> writes
>+AilyaR <arose_ca@sprynet.COM> wrote:
>
> Actually, the fact that you add the protocol or not is apparently not
Does it really matter - I suspect most people use an off-line reader - I
certainly do. Clicking don't make no difference.

Overseas readers may be interested to know that in parts of Scotland in
times past one's "Click" was ones boy or girl friend.
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849

computer question

Message 19417 · Dianna Shipman · 17 Nov 1999 01:49:07 · Top

I would have liked to have been prompted two letters before http://
:-)
Dianna
P.S. Still not getting consistent results with either spelling :-)

Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
phone: 713-522-1212
----- Original Message -----
From: Keith Eric Grant <keg@strathspey.llnl.gov>
To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 1999 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: computer question

> Dianna Shipman wrote:
> >
> > I've tried it using the htpp:// in all sorts of ways and still get no
> > consistent results.
> > Thanks,
> > Dianna
>
> Well, and I can SEE WHY, (says I huffingly, ready to duck behind something
> solid should she decide to propel a loose object in my direction)
>
> Normally, http stands for hyper-text transfer protocol. As to htpp, I'd
> probably just get myself into trouble if I let my mind start free
> associating on its potential meanings.
>
> For my Netscape Communicator, seeing the http:// makes it something live
to
> click on. In fact, earlier Ian posted just this fragment and it was active
> (it didn't go anywhere, but that's a different matter). It may be that
> outlook does a more thorough scan, looking also for snippits starting with
> "www.", but Netscape doesn't react to those, demanding the CORRECT
protocol
> be present. And such should be the case with a list on SCD -- after all,
> don't we value correct protocol almost above all?
>
>
> ...Keith
>
> --
>
>
+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
> I Keith Eric Grant I We must remember that everything
I
> I <keg@strathspey.llnl.gov> I is ordinary and extraordinary. It
I
> I--------------------------------------I is our minds that either open or
I
> I Over the hills, but not too far away I close. Details are not good or
I
> I from the San Francisco East Bay I bad. They are details. -- Natalie
I
> I I Goldberg, Writing Down the Bones
I
>
+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
>
>

computer question

Message 19419 · Richard L. Walker · 17 Nov 1999 01:59:14 · Top

Around here a 'click' (aside from that associated with a bomb or a mouse) is
a tightly knit group of individuals who tend to look down in a snobbish way
to those around them who do not or are not permitted to belong. I like the
girl friend definition much better.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan McAlister [mailto:Bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk]
Overseas readers may be interested to know that in parts of Scotland in
times past one's "Click" was ones boy or girl friend.

computer question

Message 19457 · Martin.Sheffield · 18 Nov 1999 17:50:32 · Top

Bryan wrote:
> I suspect most people use an off-line reader - I
>certainly do. Clicking don't make no difference.

So you read off-line, classify those messages with interesting URLs to use,
and then next time you are ready to down download you mail, open your web
browser, as well as your mail reader, then, before closing down the
connexion, reopen those messages and click on the URLs you want to check
out. It works with my free unprofessional version of Eudora Light.

As long as the URL is highlighted, it should work. The browser will be
activated to open the desired web page.

I am subscribed to a news service that mails out very brief summaries of
news concerning the environment. If I'm interested, I click and immediately
get the whole article from their web site.

On another subject -- is someone not confusing clicks and cliques?
(>a tightly knit group of individuals who tend to look down in a snobbish
way...)

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

computer question

Message 19463 · Richard L. Walker · 18 Nov 1999 23:04:58 · Top

Whoa ... only one apology per mistake. :-)

-----Original Message-----
From: M Sheffield [mailto:martin.sheffield@wanadoo.fr]
...On another subject -- is someone not confusing clicks and cliques?
(>a tightly knit group of individuals who tend to look down in a snobbish
way...)...

computer question

Message 19400 · John K. Andrews · 16 Nov 1999 20:03:32 · Top

The basic controlling factor is what you are using for an e-mail client and
how you have it set up. Both Eudora, which I use at home, and Outlook,
which I use at work, have the option of displaying or not displaying web
addresses as "clickable". If you can't click, check your options set-up
(its in "preferences" in some client software).

Jay Andrews
Alexandria, VA

At 12:22 AM 11/16/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>I notice on some of the emails with web addresses in the text that the web
>address is "clickable" and on some it's not (you have to copy and paste it
>in) - does anyone know why - how to insert such addresses to make them
>clickable (or not)?
>Dianna
>Dianna L. Shipman
>diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
>Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
>PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
>Houston, TX 77019-4946
>web page: http://home.att.net/~diannashipman
>phone: 713-522-1212
>

Previous thread: Welcome to Glasgow
Next thread: Highland Dance List??
A Django site.