strathspey Archive: (Fwd) Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to d

(Fwd) Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to d

Message 19265 · ron.mackey · 8 Nov 1999 23:23:16 · Top

From: Self <Single-user mode>
To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Subject: Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to dem.)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 01:06:48

> Actually, your suggestion is exactly my own preferred
> terminology--Performances and Demonstrations as subcategories of Dancing
> Exhibitions. But most people on this list use the word Demonstration (or
> its abbreviation) to cover both forms of exhibition. Many Branches have
> what they call Demonstration Teams. However, by their choice of repertoire,
> the choreography and the emphasis on perfection and complexity, they are
> clearly trying to be Performing Groups.
>
> The problem with a lot of dance exhibitions is that the choreographer
> either loses sight of the reason for the exhibition or doesn't have a clear
> idea to begin with. I believe there is a place for both types of
> exhibition, but if you get them scrambled, you won't get the hoped-for
> results.
>
> Maybe if the above terminology and the concepts which distinguish
> performance from demonstration were more widely understood and accepted, we
> would have fewer misfires and more successful dancing exhibitions.
>
> Cheers, Oberdan.

I don't know how it is heard in other places but we very rarely use
the term 'exhibitions' as, in this neck of the woods, it is a very
bad thing to make an exhibition of oneself.
It represents something like being falling-down drunk when at a
formal gathering or when supposed to be doing a demonstration at the
function of the year !!!! In other words it produces the heights of
embarrassment for perpetrator _and_ viewer.

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

(Fwd) Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to d

Message 19277 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 9 Nov 1999 18:20:41 · Top

> I don't know how it is heard in other places but we very rarely use
>the term 'exhibitions' as, in this neck of the woods, it is a very
>bad thing to make an exhibition of oneself.

English is a very colorful language and many of the words have positive,
negative and neutral meanings. We must gather which meaning is correct from
the context. So if some folks are hung up on the negative meaning
regardless of context, I see it as a limitation in their own minds. I think
the context I provided for the word "exibition" was clearly for a neutral
meaning, which makes it a perfectly good word for the message I intended.

Of course, a great source of humor in English is plays-on-words or
rejoinders which deliberately switch the meaning of a word during a
conversation! It was very hard for me to tell if the above message was
intended to be humorous or if their is actually an unfortunate verbal
hangup in that "neck of the woods".

Cheers, Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

(Fwd) Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to d

Message 19279 · Pia Walker · 9 Nov 1999 20:32:55 · Top

Yes Oberdan

And we could always shorten it to exhib.

tongue in cheek

Pia
>> I don't know how it is heard in other places but we very rarely use
>>the term 'exhibitions' as, in this neck of the woods, it is a very
>>bad thing to make an exhibition of oneself.
>
>English is a very colorful language and many of the words have positive,
>negative and neutral meanings. We must gather which meaning is correct from
>the context. So if some folks are hung up on the negative meaning
>regardless of context, I see it as a limitation in their own minds. I think
>the context I provided for the word "exibition" was clearly for a neutral
>meaning, which makes it a perfectly good word for the message I intended.
>
>Of course, a great source of humor in English is plays-on-words or
>rejoinders which deliberately switch the meaning of a word during a
>conversation! It was very hard for me to tell if the above message was
>intended to be humorous or if their is actually an unfortunate verbal
>hangup in that "neck of the woods".
>
>Cheers, Oberdan.
>
>Trans Vector Technologies, Inc, 184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611
>Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

(Fwd) Re: Performance vs Demonstration (was to dem or not to

Message 19285 · ron.mackey · 10 Nov 1999 01:06:17 · Top

> > I don't know how it is heard in other places but we very rarely use
> >the term 'exhibitions' as, in this neck of the woods, it is a very
> >bad thing to make an exhibition of oneself.
> Of course, a great source of humor in English is plays-on-words or
> rejoinders which deliberately switch the meaning of a word during a
> conversation! It was very hard for me to tell if the above message was
> intended to be humorous or if their is actually an unfortunate verbal
> hangup in that "neck of the woods".
>
> Cheers, Oberdan.

Hi, Oberdan

Most of what I write is with tongue firmly in cheek or a grin on
my face, as others will attest, and I did finish with a smiley!
If one was so unreasonable as to remonstrate it would not be in
public. After all, you may be bigger than me ! :-)

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>