strathspey Archive: IMPORTANT MANUSCRIPT OF SCOTTISH REELS FOR SALE

IMPORTANT MANUSCRIPT OF SCOTTISH REELS FOR SALE

Message 18950 · Anselm Lingnau · 21 Oct 1999 15:16:45 · Top

Here's an item that just came in on the -request address. I'm
forwarding this because it seems topical and does not look like spam.

My question would be, do they talk about reels in the sense of dances,
or reels in the sense of tunes? And who was this Tom Bell character,
anyway? (I seem to remember that there is a tune called `Frank Gilruth'
in Scott Skinner's _Scottish_Violinist_ but the book is at home.)

Anselm

------- Forwarded Message

From: "richardwestwood-brookes" <richardwestwood-brookes@tinyonline.co.uk>
To: <strathspey-request@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
Subject: IMPORTANT MANUSCRIPT OF SCOTTISH REELS FOR SALE
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:42:49 +0200

If you are interested in Scottish dancing, you may be interested to know
that we are selling an important original manuscript of Scottish Reels
collected by Frank Gilruth between 1908-1910 in the Dumfries and
Galloway areas. It features more than 150 reels , some by the renowned
Tom Bell.

If you are interested, the sale will take place at Dominic Winter Book
Auctions, Maxwell Street, Swindon, England, on Wednesday 3rd November
(11am GMT). We take e-mail/telephone/commission bids. Further details at
info@dominic-winter.co.uk or telephone on 0044 1 793 611340.

Regards
Dominic Winter Book Auctions

------- End of Forwarded Message

IMPORTANT MANUSCRIPT OF SCOTTISH REELS FOR SALE

Message 18951 · RuddBaron · 21 Oct 1999 15:51:47 · Top

Well, when I hear manuscript, I tend to think of music...but that isn't
necessarily the case here.

s/RBJ