strathspey Archive: integrated reels

integrated reels

Message 18906 · John P. McClure · 15 Oct 1999 19:33:26 · Top

If I understood Cole's description of that part of the dance (Reids of ...),
the corner dancers are not dancing a single reel of three on the sides;
rather, they are dancing two , right shoulder, half reels of three, with
a different corner cutting first in each of the two half reels. I wonder
whether that point might help people to phrase it.

Re Marjorie's mention of Jackie Johnstone's dance: that reminded me of the
dance Glen Clova (32S4, in the SD Archives), where the term "borrowing reels"
is used.

Anyhow, it all sounds like fun ...

Peter McClure
Winnipeg, MB

integrated reels

Message 18909 · eclyde · 16 Oct 1999 01:44:17 · Top

Margaret Ogilvie's Jig, Scottish Dance Archives, no. 189, copyright 1982,
and devised by Margaret Urquart also has "Borrowing reels of four"
in which 1st and 4th couples are dancing reels of four across the dance
intermeshing with 2nd and 3rd couples who are dancing them on the sides.
Great fun!

Happy dancing.

Eric Clyde
Ottawa Branch