strathspey Archive: Aurora Dance on 30th October, Aberdeenshire

Aurora Dance on 30th October, Aberdeenshire

Message 18890 · Iain E G Richardson · 13 Oct 1999 19:47:28 · Top

Aurora will hold their Hallowe'en Dance on 30th October 1999
at Logie Durno Hall, near Inverurie, Aberdeenshire.
Band: Frank Thomson
Price: 5 pounds, can be paid at door
Time: 7.30pm
Programme: Borrowdale Express, 6x32R
Old Nick's Lumber Room, 8x32J
John McAlpin, 8x32S
Reel of the Puffins, 4x32R
Muirland Willie, 8x32J
Bob Campbell, 3x 32S
Aird of Coigach, 4x48J
Saltire Society Reel, 8x32R
Duchess Tree, 8x32S
Ghosties Jig, 4x32J
Deil amang the Tailors, 8x32R
Phantom Piper, 4x32J
Belle of Bon Accord, 4x32S
Fairy Dance, 8x32R
Midnight Oil, 5x48J
Bedrule, 8x32S
Follow Me Home, 8x32J
Wicked Willie, 4x32R
Devil's Elbow, 8x40J
Trysting Place, 8x32S
Ian Powrie's Farewell to Auchterarder, 128J
Hoopers Jig, 8x32J
Shiftin Goblins, 8x32R
Extras : MacDonald of the Isles, Major Ian Stewart

For more information (including directions to the hall) please see
http://www.aurorascot.freeserve.co.uk/dances.htm

Cheers

Iain Richardson

-----
Iain E G Richardson, Technical Director
4i2i Communications Ltd
Doig Scott Building, Craibstone Estate, Bucksburn,
Aberdeen AB21 9YA, UK
Email richardson@4i2i.com, Web http://www.4i2i.com/
Tel +44 1224 714795 (direct line) / 712844 (reception)
Fax +44 1224 714413

Strathspey Hallowe'en competition

Message 18891 · Anselm Lingnau · 13 Oct 1999 20:30:20 · Top

Iain E G Richardson <richardson@4i2i.com> writes:

> Aurora will hold their Hallowe'en Dance on 30th October 1999
> at Logie Durno Hall, near Inverurie, Aberdeenshire.

Ghostie's Jig and Shiftin' Goblins, eh? You must have missed Ferla Mor
(The Big Grey Man) and The Lady of the Lake (alias The Water Kelpie,
which makes it a double-spooky dance).

There are lots and lots of dances with `spooky' titles. In fact, the
other day I picked up a book (_The Green Lady Book_) by the late Barry
Priddey which is all fairies, ghouls, kelpies and such. Maybe we can
make up a list similar to the Burns lists we've had in the past? Feel
free to mail me the titles of your favourite Hallowe'en dances (with
source references, please) and I'll post a summary to the list (or the
Server).

In fact, let's have a little competition to make this more of a
challenge. Here are the rules:

1. Dance titles must have a connection to supernatural beings
from some actual culture's myths, fairytales etc. (benign, evil or
otherwise). Recently-invented fictional beings don't count, which
rules out, e.g., the Lord of the Rings collection (sorry Iain).
It is OK to have spooky-sounding titles that refer to actual
people etc. as long as they connect or liken these to the beings
mentioned above (e.g., if there was a dance called `The Skip-Change
Wizard' dedicated to some particular dancer that would be acceptable).
I get to decide which dances do count and which don't; feel free to
explain in your list why any particular dance should be allowed in.

2. Unpublished dances and dances already cited in this posting or Iain's
programme don't count. Please give publication references.

3. Lists to be sent to <lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>.

4. Competition closes at noon GMT on Friday, October 29th.

5. The person to come up with the greatest number of dances not also
mentioned by any other competitor will receive a special (pleasant,
I hope) surprise on November 1st.

Have fun!

Anselm

Strathspey Hallowe'en competition

Message 18892 · Melbourne Briscoe · 13 Oct 1999 21:06:23 · Top

I actually got around the problem of having to use dances we didn't know
to stick to a theme by renaming existing dances, like
Ghostie's Jig
Well Done Jack o' Lantern
etc.