strathspey Archive: Joy and soul and thank yous

Joy and soul and thank yous

Message 18758 · Rebecca Sager · 19 Sep 1999 17:37:57 · Top

Marjorie - thank you, thank you. You said what I wanted to say but
couldn't find the words. For me, the principal joy of Strathspey is in
your postings on dance, and Jim Healy's on RSCDS issues. I meant to thank
him for his 9/13/99 clear and concise response to that string of
complaints about the Society. Although Jim is no longer one of the 6
elected Executive Council members, I still feel that he is providing
additional representation of our worldwide community, over there in
Scotland.
And if you've never been in a class taught by Marjorie McLaughlin, you
have missed out on a truly joyous experience. Her warm bubbly personality
combined with her knowledge of SCD and it's roots make her an amazing
teacher. She'll be at Scottish Weekend - another reason for going.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

Joy and soul and thank yous

Message 18761 · James R. Ferguson · 19 Sep 1999 21:24:39 · Top

Becky,
I'll certainly second this paragraph of yours. Going to a class led by
Marjorie is a sure way to learn, enjoy, and come away with a boundless
enthusiasm for dancing, no matter your level of expertise.
Donna

Rebecca Sager wrote:

> And if you've never been in a class taught by Marjorie McLaughlin, you
> have missed out on a truly joyous experience. Her warm bubbly personality
> combined with her knowledge of SCD and it's roots make her an amazing
> teacher. She'll be at Scottish Weekend - another reason for going.
>
> Becky
>
> Becky Sager
> Marietta GA USA
>
> --
> Rebecca Sager <bsager3@juno.com>

Joy and soul and thank yous

Message 18763 · The_Healys · 20 Sep 1999 01:17:35 · Top

Becky,

No. I am no longer among the six elected but have the great privilege of
representing St John's (Newfoundland) Branch on the Executive - or as I
prefer and one former Chairman of that Branch tacitly accepted: the _othe=
r_
St Johnstoun. I appreciate your confirmation that I am contributing to
communication, the lack of which I have always said is the Society's
biggest
problem.

But far more importantly - joy and soul. A few people have skirted around=

the issue although it is very simple: it cannot be taught. But, it can be=

shown and it is every teacher's responsibility to show it. Not necessaril=
(although preferably) in class but definitely on the dance floor.

A propos of which, I have never had the pleasure of being in Marjorie's
class but I have had the wonderful experience of partnerng her in the
Balquidder Strathspey (and a lot of people on this list realise what that=

means - Richard was injured). I rest my case about teaching by example. U=
there in the top ten dancing memories of all time.

Jim Healy
Perth (St Johnstoun), Scotland