strathspey Archive: RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18555 · OThinius · 3 Sep 1999 15:24:44 · Top

RSCDS Headquarters Members AGM Representation
by Oliver Thinius, Muelheim, Germany

Dear user of the Strathspey Server,

if you are a member of the Royal Scottish Country Dance Society (RSCDS)=20
through Headquarters please take a minute to read and react.

On request HQ gave the information that 2678 members (as per 15. June,=20
information received by e-mail) are members through Headquarters. Considerin=
g=20
the total membership of 22444 (June Newsbrief) about 12% of membership=20
worldwide is membership through Headquarters.

No Headquarters Member is represented at the Annual General Meeting in=20
whatsoever way whereas 167 branches (June Newsbrief) send their delegates.

I therefor ask every member through Headquarters to print out the following=20
text and forward it to Headquarters by whatever means - snail mail and fax=20
preferred. Arrival at Headquarters before mid-October appreciated. Thank you=20
very much.

kind regards,

Oliver Thinius,
M=FClheim, Germany

"Name:
Address:
Membership number:

I am a member through Headquarters. Regarding the fact that currently about=20
12% of the total membership are members through headquarters and not=20
represented at the AGM in any way I
=20
1) propose, for discussion during the Open Forum at the AGM 1999 as follow=
s:
Members through Headquarters should be represented at the AGM by=20
delegates.=20

2) propose, to be discussed and decided by the 1999 AGM:
that the apropriate Committee should develop a way of nominating HQ=20
mebers=B4 delegates and the neccessary changes of the constitution for decis=
ion=20
at the year 2000 AGM.

yours faithfully,

(signature)

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18556 · Susi Mayr · 3 Sep 1999 16:57:48 · Top

Oliver raises an interesting point.

Reading through my copy of the RSCDS Constitution (which is dated July
1986, but I'm assuming nothing much has changed in this respect) I find,
under VI. Executive Council (1) Membership (b) the following: " [...]
and six members elected annually by the Society in General Meeting."
Perhaps these six elected members are meant to represent those whose
membership of the RSCDS is through Headquarters. However, this does not
significantly improve matters, as these six members of the Executive
Council are nominated by the Branches and elected by the Branch
delegates at the Annual General Meeting.

I agree with Oliver that this problem should be addressed - I have heard
that there are plans afoot to change the way RSCDS membership is
organised (or at least to consider changing it) - perhaps someone who
knows more about this could enlighten us ?

Susi
Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

--

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18557 · Anselm Lingnau · 3 Sep 1999 20:07:42 · Top

Susi Mayr <susi@redrose.co.at> writes:

> Reading through my copy of the RSCDS Constitution (which is dated July
> 1986, but I'm assuming nothing much has changed in this respect) I find=
,
> under VI. Executive Council (1) Membership (b) the following:

Yes, but that's for the Executive Council. I am under the impression
that Oliver was talking about representation of HQ members at the *AGM*.

I don't have a copy of the current RSCDS constitution to hand but I used
to think that there was a process to elect a number of representatives
for the HQ members at the AGM. (In fact, if I remember correctly, Oliver
himself wrote letters to several German SCD groups a while ago, trying
to canvas support to get himself nominated as such by those groups' HQ
members, so I'm a bit surprised about his recent message.) Maybe
somebody who does have access to the current constitution and/or by-laws
could check whether this process is still in existence and, if so, how
it actually works.

> I agree with Oliver that this problem should be addressed - I have hear=
> that there are plans afoot to change the way RSCDS membership is
> organised (or at least to consider changing it) - perhaps someone who
> knows more about this could enlighten us ?

As far as I am aware the Society is encouraging membership in a
Bra^H^H^HLocal Association over HQ membership. So the obvious thing for
people who want better representation is to join a LA (or form one, if
there is none in the area). Of course this is not always an option, and
that is the reason for HQ membership in the first place. So if there is
no process for obtaining delegates to represent HQ members at the AGM,
there ought to be one. On the other hand, deciding just who should be a
representative of a group of people who are apparently too far-flung to
manage a LA, and who probably have all kinds of different expectations,
problems and issues to boot, might be a bit difficult ...

Anselm
(RSCDS HQ member)
-- =

Anselm Lingnau ......................... lingnau@tm.informatik.uni-frankf=
urt.de
Nothing in education is so astonishing as the amount of ignorance it
accumulates in the form of inert facts. -- Henry=
Adams

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18558 · Susi Mayr · 3 Sep 1999 20:59:35 · Top

Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> Yes, but that's for the Executive Council. I am under the impression
> that Oliver was talking about representation of HQ members at the *AGM*.

The AGM is even worse from that point of view (again according to my old
copy of the RSCDS constitution). It seems that only the Branches (Local
Associations) are allowed to send delegates with full voting rights, the
number of delegates for each Branch being determined by the Branch's
membership (2-5 delegates). Six members of the Executive Council are
elected at the AGM (presumably as representatives for the HQ members)- I
can't remember whether they are then allowed to vote on further business
at the AGM. The situation seems to be that HQ members cannot be
represented at the AGM, and that on the Executive Council they are
represented by six people chosen for them by the Branch delegates voting
at the AGM. Doesn't sound like a very satisfactory situation.

> As far as I am aware the Society is encouraging membership in a
> Bra^H^H^HLocal Association over HQ membership.

I was under the impression that this was no longer the case or that at
least HQ membership is not being actively discouraged. I certainly had
no trouble recently when I joined as a HQ member. There has also
definitely been talk of restructuring the Executive Council and reducing
it in size, so maybe this is a good time to bring up the subject of
members' representation at the AGM as well as the Executive Council.

> On the other hand, deciding just who should be a
> representative of a group of people who are apparently too far-flung to
> manage a LA, and who probably have all kinds of different expectations,
> problems and issues to boot, might be a bit difficult ...

Maybe this list would be a good place to start !

Susi
Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18559 · Anselm Lingnau · 3 Sep 1999 21:18:25 · Top

Susi Mayr <susi@redrose.co.at> writes:

> > As far as I am aware the Society is encouraging membership in a
> > Bra^H^H^HLocal Association over HQ membership.
>
> I was under the impression that this was no longer the case or that at
> least HQ membership is not being actively discouraged.

I'm a long-term member with a number of years to go, so don't get
invited to join (again) these days, but my SO receives a friendly letter
every year along the lines of `Why don't you consider joining your
neighbourhood Local Association, because this will be much nicer for you
-- if you don't want to, we'd be happy to have you as an HQ member, of
course'. My reading of this is that the Society would rather see me as a
LA member, while they are of course not discouraging me from being an HQ
member. This is something I can live with perfectly well -- only that
there are no LAs in Germany (for whatever reason).

> > On the other hand, deciding just who should be a
> > representative of a group of people who are apparently too far-flung to
> > manage a LA, and who probably have all kinds of different expectations,
> > problems and issues to boot, might be a bit difficult ...
>
> Maybe this list would be a good place to start !

I'm not convinced. This list is about Scottish dancing rather than the
RSCDS constitution and associated political discussion. We have managed
to stay clear of RSCDS-internal politics for the most part, and while I
see nothing wrong with discussing, on this list, the RSCDS in the
context of its influence on Scottish dancing in general, I doubt that
lots of traffic related to RSCDS administration would be in the interest
of all the people here, most of who, I gather, would much rather dance
than bother about RSCDS regulations (feel free to disagree with me --
I'm just the person who keeps the mailing list going, not the official
censor). This is aside from the fact that many of the people in
question, both potential delegates and people to be represented, aren't
actually present on this list.

If there should be interest in an electronic medium for the (strictly
unofficial) discussion of matters related to the RSCDS as an
organization, I would of course be happy to help HQ with information or
with the setup of something along the lines of Strathspey for the
purpose. On the other hand, it seems a bit unlikely to me ...

Anselm
The suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame/The killing, the dying, it was
all done in vain/For, Willie McBride, it has happened again/And again and again
and again and again. -- Eric Bogle, *No Man's Land*

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18560 · Susi Mayr · 3 Sep 1999 22:26:29 · Top

Apparently a few years ago HQ membership was being discouraged to the
extent that at least one (to my knowledge) Branch in Scotland felt the
need to provide a home for those RSCDS members unable or unwilling to
join their local Branches (where available).

If HQ members feel the need to discuss these issues and perhaps attempt
a solution then I would have considered this list a good place to start
spreading the word - as Oliver has done. The fact that not everyone
potentially involved in this particular situation, whether as delegates
or representees, is actually present on the list, seems to me
irrelevant. Or should we only be discussing topics of interest to every
single subscriber ?

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18561 · Norah Link · 3 Sep 1999 22:48:04 · Top

As a Branch member (i.e. someone who would not be involved in the discussion), I
for one agree with Susi. True, you won't be able to cover all HQ members through
the list, but if there are enough to have a significant discussion, I say go for
it! Non-HQ members can always delete without reading based on the subject line.
If the discussion becomes protracted or you locate other HQ members who are
non-list members, you can always continue with e-mail but take it offline. But it
seems that strathspey is a perfectly good place to get the ball rolling, find out
who wants to participate in discussions.

Norah Link
Montreal

>>> Susi Mayr <susi@redrose.co.at> 03/09/99 03:27 pm >>>

If HQ members feel the need to discuss these issues and perhaps attempt
a solution then I would have considered this list a good place to start
spreading the word - as Oliver has done. The fact that not everyone
potentially involved in this particular situation, whether as delegates
or representees, is actually present on the list, seems to me
irrelevant. Or should we only be discussing topics of interest to every
single subscriber ?

RSCDS - non-representation of HQ members at AGM

Message 18569 · Rebecca Sager · 4 Sep 1999 16:55:19 · Top

Maybe the best solution of the representation problem IS to join a
Br....,er, L.A., however far geographically. Atlanta has always had
members from the Carolinas, East Tennessee,{Nashville and points west
join Central Kentucky) and Alabama, our neighboring states. We now have
some from Mississippi, last year picked up one from Kansas and this year
one from Texas (maybe someone besides Dianna has a gripe with Houston?)
The advantage we have here, of course, is that we all speak, more or
less, the same language.

Atlanta has always maintained a representative on the Executive Council
and two delegates to the AGM, who solicit our input on matters on the
agendas. Speaking of which, have you seen the Subscriptions to be
proposed at this year's AGM? I can't remember having increases in two
consecutive years, and this must be the biggest increase ever! The people
who had problems with 6.50 are going to go ballistic over 8.00! And the
Long Term Subscriptions!! I have always been an Annual Member, as I know
that keeping up with LT members is something of a pain for the Branch.
What a bargain the old LT fees look now! Many of us remember when LT
membership was 15 years for the current price of 10. Then it went to 10
years for the current price of 10. Now the proposal is 10 years for the
current price of 15!! Somebody is anticipating bigger and bigger
increases obviously.

The proposal for HQ Membership is 8.00 plus 7.00 administration charge,
because "Members who join through a Branch (sic) have all their services
carried out by Branch volunteers. The members who pay their subscriptions
direct to HQ have all their services direct from the Society carried out
by paid professional staff." As the volunteer most responsible for
servicing the members of this Branch by getting the Society publications
and Branch newsletter and other mailings out to them I appreciate this
point. There are days when I feel - they couldn't pay me enough to go
through all this!!!

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA