strathspey Archive: Embellishments

Embellishments

Message 17806 · Frans Ligtmans · 29 Jun 1999 16:00:35 · Top

To Anselm,
Sometimes I feel the urge to open my mouth and I may exaggerate a bit to get
my point across. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.
I personally do not like the many extra twiddles, that are very often
brought in at German balls. I do not like the disturbance of the pattern,
but I also feel uncomfortable in a set with unexpected vigorous movements.
There seems to be a growing idea, that you cannot do without them, because
the dance is then not interesting. Or even worse, people, who do not do them
are not interesting.
It is possible to get just as much or more joy from a well performed dance,
where you get the feeling to float and the working together with the others
in the set is just exciting. Extra twiddles are most of the time solo
actions or sometimes as a couple.
The others in the set have to accept.
As far as I remember, there is a German saying:

In de Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister!

See you soon Anselm, thanks for your message, Frans Ligtmans.

Embellishments

Message 17816 · adriana linden · 29 Jun 1999 19:58:07 · Top

--- Frans Ligtmans <Frans.Ligtmans@hetnet.nl> wrote:
> As far as I remember, there is a German saying:
> In de Beschränkung zeigt sich der Meister!

For those of us who do not speak German...translation?

Adriana Linden
Montreal,Qc

Embellishments

Message 17818 · McBride, Ann · 29 Jun 1999 20:16:06 · Top

Translation: "In moderation the master shows".

> ----------

Embellishments

Message 17820 · Bryan McAlister · 29 Jun 1999 23:53:23 · Top

In article <01bec226$f25a42e0$025b3591@default>, Frans Ligtmans
<Frans.Ligtmans@hetnet.nl> writes
>To Anselm,
>Sometimes I feel the urge to open my mouth and I may exaggerate a bit to get
>my point across. The truth is always somewhere in the middle.
>I personally do not like the many extra twiddles, that are very often
>brought in at German balls. I do not like the disturbance of the pattern,
>but I also feel uncomfortable in a set with unexpected vigorous movements.
>There seems to be a growing idea, that you cannot do without them, because
>the dance is then not interesting. Or even worse, people, who do not do them
>are not interesting.
>It is possible to get just as much or more joy from a well performed dance,
>where you get the feeling to float and the working together with the others
>in the set is just exciting. Extra twiddles are most of the time solo
>actions or sometimes as a couple.
>The others in the set have to accept.
>As far as I remember, there is a German saying:
>
>In de Beschrnkung zeigt sich der Meister!
>
>See you soon Anselm, thanks for your message, Frans Ligtmans.
>

>--
>"Frans Ligtmans" <Frans.Ligtmans@hetnet.nl>

Perhaps someone should write a new dance called _The German Twiddlers_.
It could have every conceivable kind of twiddle written in. Dancers
could then improvise by leaving them out.
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk
Mobile phone 07801 793849

Embellishments

Message 17835 · GIR · 30 Jun 1999 12:49:24 · Top

Bryan McAlister wrote:

> Perhaps someone should write a new dance called _The German Twiddlers_.
> It could have every conceivable kind of twiddle written in. Dancers
> could then improvise by leaving them out.

Well, I think "The Spinning Stones" is something like that....
I just have done it once and I don't have a description (does somebody?), but
its something to become dizzy....

Anja

Embellishments

Message 17849 · Stefan Barthel · 30 Jun 1999 22:35:40 · Top

>From: Bryan McAlister <Bryan@bryanmac.demon.co.uk>

>Perhaps someone should write a new dance called _The German Twiddlers_.
>It could have every conceivable kind of twiddle written in.

Sounds a bit boring, ey?

>Dancers could then improvise by leaving them out.

Or doing other twiddles...