strathspey Archive: Backing out of turns (was Gates of Edinburgh Reels)

Backing out of turns (was Gates of Edinburgh Reels)

Message 17737 · mgillespie · 21 Jun 1999 14:44:39 · Top

Hi
UCP
On Jun 18 at 02:14, you wrote:

[Ron]
>> Hi,
>> Has anyone got a pre 1945 copy of book 9, please. I have one
>> somewhere but it was put away as a memento when I got the new
>> version.
>> The reason is that I am interested in bars 37-40 of Cadgers.
>> Is the instruction for the turn to be left-handed been inserted ?
>> Or did it just say ' turn 1 1/2 times to own side'?

> I don't know about pre-1945, but my 1951 edition just says "turn
> one-and-a-half times"

> This of course gave one the choice of turning RH, giving an easy
> entry into the R&L.

> The 2 handed pas-de-basque version has also been mentioned to me
> by Duncan Macleod and more recently Bill Ireland - I certainly
> find it more of a challenge than the one handed turns

> Malcolm
> --
> _ _
> |_|_ |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) - m.brown@netcomuk.co.uk

My copy of Bk 9 has no date and cost 2/6d. In the back pages it has details of
the Executive Council for 1935/36 and was copyrighted in the USA in 1934

Bars are as follows:

33-36 First couple giving right hands, cross over and cast off one on opposite
side.
37-40 They turn each other and fall back into second place on their own sides
of the dance.

Presumably this means they turn once round for 2 bars and then retire for 2
bars!

Malcolm (Zimbabwe)

(Internet address: mgillespie@mango.zw)