strathspey Archive: Who says don't touch? (was Special reels)

Who says don't touch? (was Special reels)

Message 17736 · mgillespie · 21 Jun 1999 14:43:25 · Top

Hi
UCP
On Jun 20 at 00:11, you wrote:

One other reason I like giving hands in mirror reels is
> that it seems
>> to bring
>> dancers closer into the centre of the dance thus
> facilitating those
>> wide sweepy
>> loops I like to do (if there's room, of course).
>>
>> Cole
>
> Tay, I find your reasoning hard to follow. Giving hands in
> a mirror reel means that you have to keep at some distance
> from your partner (if the hands are to be extended in a
> natural way). This can result in flattened reels in a
> crowded ballroom where the sets are narrow.

> Andy Patterson London(UK)

It often results in flattened reels anyway and is why, in mirror reels, I
encourage the dancers to dance in almost shoulder to shoulder. Particularly in
the beginners class. It means they have to look at each other which encourages
smiling (?)

Malcolm Gillespie Zimbabwe.

(Internet address: mgillespie@mango.zw)