strathspey Archive: Childrens Ball

Childrens Ball

Message 17729 · George Gates · 20 Jun 1999 21:58:01 · Top

--------------3516517EFD48B21D6C383ECD

We just had a Childrens Ball here yesterday. We know its the first in
California, but how about in the good ol USA. And does anyone else have
such a thing anywhere else? Would love to know, can answer here or
directly to me at dancingfool56@home.com.

Thank You
--------------3516517EFD48B21D6C383ECD

begin: vcard
fn: George Gates
n: Gates;George
org: RSCDS, AMA, ABATE, PEERS
email;internet: dancingfool56@home.com
title: Monthly Class Coordinater RSCDS & Berkeley Class Manager
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------3516517EFD48B21D6C383ECD--

Childrens Ball

Message 17730 · SMiskoe · 20 Jun 1999 22:09:57 · Top

In the 1960's and 1970's there was an active children's group in Hillsboro,
New Hampshire, called the Hillsboro Bairns. They invited Stan Hamilton to
play for a ball. In early 1970's I played for them, and continued to play for
them for several years until the groups became too small to remain viable and
disbanded. It was taught by Dorothy and Clifford Blanchard. Prior to The
Hillsboro Bairns, there was another group in Bedford, NH, called the Bedford
Bairns. It was founded and taught by Jack McKelvie, a great benefactor of
SCD, and influential in starting many groups in New England.
I don't remember exact dates. These groups have long since disbanded but
their members are adults who continue to enjoy dancing.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Childrens Ball

Message 17732 · George Gates · 20 Jun 1999 22:37:02 · Top

--------------246EBB0A234E588A07E050FB

Thank You, will pass this on.

SMiskoe@aol.com wrote:

> In the 1960's and 1970's there was an active children's group in Hillsboro,
> New Hampshire, called the Hillsboro Bairns. They invited Stan Hamilton to
> play for a ball. In early 1970's I played for them, and continued to play for
> them for several years until the groups became too small to remain viable and
> disbanded. It was taught by Dorothy and Clifford Blanchard. Prior to The
> Hillsboro Bairns, there was another group in Bedford, NH, called the Bedford
> Bairns. It was founded and taught by Jack McKelvie, a great benefactor of
> SCD, and influential in starting many groups in New England.
> I don't remember exact dates. These groups have long since disbanded but
> their members are adults who continue to enjoy dancing.
> Cheers,
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
>
> --
> SMiskoe@aol.com
--------------246EBB0A234E588A07E050FB

begin: vcard
fn: George Gates
n: Gates;George
org: RSCDS, AMA, ABATE, PEERS
email;internet: dancingfool56@home.com
title: Monthly Class Coordinater RSCDS & Berkeley Class Manager
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------246EBB0A234E588A07E050FB--

Childrens Ball

Message 17733 · Simon Scott · 21 Jun 1999 00:42:54 · Top

Vancouver has a number of childrens classes, a childrens workshop and a
childrens ball each year. I think other areas may also. There are a
couple of teenage groups as well here. Some of them both attend, and
demonstrate, at our functions.

Simon Scott
Vancouver

>We just had a Childrens Ball here yesterday. We know its the first in
>California, but how about in the good ol USA. And does anyone else have
>such a thing anywhere else? Would love to know, can answer here or
>directly to me at dancingfool56@home.com.
>
>Thank You

Childrens Ball

Message 17734 · Rosemary Coupe · 21 Jun 1999 01:41:17 · Top

It may be worth adding to Simon's posting that a couple of enterprising
teachers in Vancouver have approached the elementary schools and offered
to teach SCD as a module in the dance component of the PE program. I
believe that three or four classes of this kind are going on now.
This may be an option worth pursuing if your area has such a component.

Children's classes in this area are also offered through the Community
Centres.

In the palmy days of the 60s, Vancouver had an annual competitive
children's festival, originally organized by Mary Brandon. A newer
tradition, in its second year, is an annual Children's Night as one of
our weekly summer evenings in Stanley Park. (This year it will be held
on July 26.) Families are invited to picnic together, and children's
games precede the dancing.

Since the children are as young as six, the presence of Santa Claus at
our December Children's Ball and the Easter Bunny at the Spring
Children's Workshop dance certainly helps the attendance. Many adult
dancers enjoy these events too. They are described by our Branch chair as
"organized pandemonium."

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver