strathspey Archive: Scottish Country Dancing this summer at Trinity College in Toronto

Scottish Country Dancing this summer at Trinity College in Toronto

Message 17726 · Paul Barber · 20 Jun 1999 02:15:59 · Top

While many SCD groups go into hibernation over the summer, once again the
Trinity Scottish Country Dance Group in Toronto is offering summer dancing.
We will be dancing every Thursday, from July 8th to August 12th, in breezy
Seeley Hall at Trinity College, 6 Hoskin Avenue, University of Toronto.
Visitors are most welcome. For further information please call Paul Barber
at (416) 534-0516 or E-Mail: barberp@interlog.com .

SCD as intelligence booster?

Message 17933 · Ron Macnaughton · 14 Jul 1999 00:46:03 · Top

I've heard that psychologists have studied how young children's exposure to
chess, music, computers etc. has affected their long term intellectual
growth and school performance. I understand music is very significant -
more than computers. This makes sense to me: growing minds learn to
create patterns from repeating sounds.

Have any studies been done on the effects of learning Scottish Country
Dancing at a young age?

Obviously it must improve some gross motor skills and give students the
benefits of exposure to music with patterns (in contrast to much modern
music).

I also wonder what other skills are stimulated by SCD:
- mathematical ability: symmetry, translations as a dance cycles through
the 4 couples in a set 3 at a time (and reflections through the origin in
"Crossing the Line")
- memorization under stress
- sense of timing to fill all the bars of a phrase; listening skills
- problem solving (how to help someone with the least disruption)
- group skills
- social skills (a problem with many high achieving science students I've
taught)
- resistance to peer pressure skills (a teenager in a kilt?)

A thread a while ago talked of the number of Scottish Dancers with high
technical/intellectual abilities: scientists, mathematicians etc. Were
these attracted to SCD as an adult or did youthful jigs and reels help the
development of these other abilities?

This information would be particularly useful to a school considering
including SCD as part of their program. Think of the wonderful dancers
we will have in the future if SCD gets back into the schools.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ron Macnaughton "There are two kinds of light ...The glow that
Bolton Ontario illumines,and the glare that obscures."
James Thurber
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SCD as intelligence booster?

Message 17951 · Malcolm and Helen Brown · 16 Jul 1999 22:05:07 · Top

Ron enquired;

> Have any studies been done on the effects of learning Scottish Country
> Dancing at a young age?

One of our members who was a schoolteacher who started a children's
class at school found that there were some very real benefits.

She was lead into a false sense of security the first year as she
worked with a group of fairly high achievers.

The second year she had some problem children in the class, and
everything was a lot more difficult. However as the year progressed
the discipline and group skills of SCD produced an effect outside
the dance floor, and there was a noticable improvement in their
behaviour. She noticed this effect with other groups in subsequent
years.

But why should this effect be limited to school children - my
spouse-in-law takes a group of adults with learning difficulties,
and they seem to benefit from the same enforced teamwork, (even
if the musician has to add on a couple of bars to enable them to
get back to place!).

Many companies spend large sums of money sending their employees
on courses to develop their teamwork skills - I often wonder whether
everyone would benefit if they just sent them along to the local
SCD class.

Malcolm

--
_ _
|_|_ |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) - m.brown@netcomuk.co.uk (Tir-Nan-Og)

SCD as intelligence booster?

Message 17956 · Andrew Aitchison · 17 Jul 1999 11:03:20 · Top

Malcolm Brown:
> Many companies spend large sums of money sending their employees
> on courses to develop their teamwork skills - I often wonder whether
> everyone would benefit if they just sent them along to the local
> SCD class.

Depends how important is the psychological effect of spending
large sums of money. Does it matter whether the teamwork training
is done on company or personal time ?

Andrew C Aitchison

SCD as intelligence booster?

Message 17958 · Richard L. Walker · 17 Jul 1999 18:15:52 · Top

Good point -- that psychological effect of spending lots of money. Also,
back in the days when I was employed in the corporate world, teamwork was
the most talked about, yet least lived, concept around. I thought
"teamwork" was the ideal "they talk the talk, but don't walk the walk"
example.

Richard L Walker
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA
rlwalker@granis.net

> Many companies spend large sums of money sending their employees
> on courses to develop their teamwork skills - I often wonder whether
> everyone would benefit if they just sent them along to the local
> SCD class.

Depends how important is the psychological effect of spending
large sums of money. Does it matter whether the teamwork training
is done on company or personal time ?

Andrew C Aitchison

--
Andrew C Aitchison <A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>

SCD as intelligence booster?

Message 17979 · Celia Wright · 20 Jul 1999 15:27:55 · Top

Ron,

You'd find pretty much the same demographics of education level in
international, contra, English country, Balkan, and Scandinavian dance
groups, and probably some others I'm not familiar with.

Celia Wright
Durham, NC USA