strathspey Archive: Backing out of turns

Backing out of turns

Message 17689 · The_Healys · 16 Jun 1999 11:18:06 · Top

Oberdan Otto writes:
> Re 2H PdB turns. After writing the above, I recalled that The
> Argyll's Farewell to Stirling as done in some parts of the world
> has a 2H PdB turn (1/2 turn in 2 bars) to sidelines. Since we
> don't dance it that way around here, I haven't actually tried it.
> It would seem to be a somewhat awkward movement.

<ahem> Muirland Willie?

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland

Backing out of turns

Message 17704 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 17 Jun 1999 09:45:53 · Top

>[Jim:]
>Oberdan Otto writes:
>> Re 2H PdB turns. After writing the above, I recalled that The
>> Argyll's Farewell to Stirling as done in some parts of the world
>> has a 2H PdB turn (1/2 turn in 2 bars) to sidelines. Since we
>> don't dance it that way around here, I haven't actually tried it.
>> It would seem to be a somewhat awkward movement.
>
><ahem> Muirland Willie?

Ah Yes! So I have done it AND it IS awkward!
(We try to dance forward into the sidelines).

>[Malcolm:]
>The reason I asked is that when we were taught 2 handed (and therefore
>pas de basque) turns - (exceptions Knit the Pocky and D & D of Edinburgh)
>we always used one step to dance backwards into the sidelines.
>So Muirland Willie had a 4 bar sequence, all pas de basque, of
>1 Set
>2 Advance
>3 1/2 Turn partner
>4 Retire

That sounds nice and controlled and not nearly as awkward as what we have
been trying to do all these years (again all PdB):
1 Set
2 Advance
3 1/4 Turn partner (2H)
4 Leap to sidelines
A problem with this method is that it often degenerates into a 4-bar,
2-handed cross with PdB.

Cheers, Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com