strathspey Archive: The shaking hands grip

The shaking hands grip

Message 17688 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 16 Jun 1999 09:07:19 · Top

I have been perusing our Manual and have come across something interesting:

[page 3.7:] "The general rule is that Hands are given at shoulder height,
with elbows down. There is no definitive rule about who gives hands to whom
and how, but it is generally accepted that a man gives his hand to a woman,
with the palm upwards. ..."

This notion is not new in the Manual. I found it in my revisions of "Won't
You Join the Dance" back to 1976. It does not appear in its predecessor
"Introduction to SCD" 1968 and 1973.

To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for anyone to offer palm upward to
form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers to raise the arms from
their sides with the palms facing the floor, turning them only slightly
toward each other to form the shaking hands grip. An upward facing palm is
an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous thumb grip.

Perhaps there is some idea that it is Gallant for the Gentleman to
gratiously offer his hand palm up as the Lady accepts with the palm down. I
can imagine this done with gloved hands in a stately dance like a
Strathspey or a Minuet for something like a Lead Down and Up. But it is an
ineffectual entry to a shaking hands grip, and is even dangerous if done at
speed as in Turn Corners and Partner.

Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

The shaking hands grip

Message 17700 · ron.mackey · 17 Jun 1999 00:54:03 · Top

> [page 3.7:] "The general rule is that Hands are given at shoulder height,
> with elbows down. There is no definitive rule about who gives hands to whom
> and how, but it is generally accepted that a man gives his hand to a woman,
> with the palm upwards. ..."
>
> This notion is not new in the Manual. I found it in my revisions of "Won't
> You Join the Dance" back to 1976. It does not appear in its predecessor
> "Introduction to SCD" 1968 and 1973.
>
> To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for anyone to offer palm upward to
> form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers to raise the arms from
> their sides with the palms facing the floor, turning them only slightly
> toward each other to form the shaking hands grip. An upward facing palm is
> an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous thumb grip.

Hi, Oberdan
I have it in my bones from years past, though I have no authority
for it, that you give the 'shake hands' grip when passing or
turning and the 'palm up' when alongside or moving in the same
direction. If the thumb is pressed firmly to the side of the palm
there is little danger of the thumb grip.
Although the hand should be firm and supportive there should be as
little pressure as possible as that would be unnecessary and bad
mannered. The lady should always be able to remove her hand as
required ! (the same should apply to dancing couple in hands
across)
It is often taught that the grip should be firm, but again Iwas
taught that it should only be 'as firm as necessary'. If, in later
years, the hands become tender due to arthritis or such it is very
unpleasant, indeed downright painful, to be grasped when all that is
required is that contact be made.
One other, seemingly obvious, point, the given hand should always
be accompanied by a smile !

Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

The shaking hands grip

Message 17706 · Smith, Kent · 17 Jun 1999 16:16:17 · Top

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB8BB.46E862E4

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't there a difference between a
hand-shake and palms up or down depending upon which hands you are joining?
Right to right or left to left produces the handshake, but right to left, as
in taking hands on the side or dancing with nearer hands joined invites
someone to offer the palm up -- the reason for all the hand waving when two
men or two women take hands on the side or in a circle.

Kent (Connecticut)

> To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for anyone to offer palm upward to
> form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers to raise the arms from
> their sides with the palms facing the floor, turning them only slightly
> toward each other to form the shaking hands grip. An upward facing palm is
> an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous thumb grip.

Hi, Oberdan
I have it in my bones from years past, though I have no authority
for it, that you give the 'shake hands' grip when passing or
turning and the 'palm up' when alongside or moving in the same
direction.

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB8BB.46E862E4

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: The shaking hands grip</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't there a =
difference between a hand-shake and palms up or down depending upon =
which hands you are joining?&nbsp; Right to right or left to left =
produces the handshake, but right to left, as in taking hands on the =
side or dancing with nearer hands joined invites someone to offer the =
palm up -- the reason for all the hand waving when two men or two women =
take hands on the side or in a circle.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Kent (Connecticut)</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: ron.mackey@post.btinternet.com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 1999 4:59 PM</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: The shaking hands grip</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Oberdan:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To me, it is exceedingly poor practice for =
anyone to offer palm upward to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; form a shaking hands grip. I teach both dancers =
to raise the arms from</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; their sides with the palms facing the floor, =
turning them only slightly</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; toward each other to form the shaking hands =
grip. An upward facing palm is</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; an invitation to the dreaded and dangerous =
thumb grip.</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Hi, Oberdan</FONT>
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>I have it =
in my bones from years past, though I have no authority </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>for it, that you give the 'shake hands'&nbsp; grip =
when passing or </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>turning and the 'palm up' when alongside or moving =
in the same </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>direction.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>