strathspey Archive: to touch or not

to touch or not

Message 17642 · SMiskoe · 12 Jun 1999 17:40:43 · Top

It seems that the word according to Miss Milligan depends on where and when
the word was spoken.
Cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

to touch or not

Message 17645 · Trans Vector Technologies, Inc · 12 Jun 1999 20:17:19 · Top

>[Sylvia:] It seems that the word according to Miss Milligan depends on
>where and when the word was spoken.

That has been my impression as well.

I tend to pay a lot more attention to the written word than to the spoken word.

There are many problems with relying on the spoken word: (1) it is usually
extemporanious--the speaker does not spend a lot of time carefully
selecting the words that exactly convey his/her meaning; (2) when the
spoken word is remembered, it is not remembered exactly and the context is
often missing or remembered poorly.

I take the quotation of Miss Milligan from "Won't You Join the Dance" (WJD)
as permission to politely ignore anyone who claims that giving hands in a
particular situation is incorrect. I consider that that person's dictum is
incorrect itself. Whether I give hands or not has more to do with the
feeling of the dance: whether the giving of hands helps or hinders the flow
of the dance and whether or not it improves the interactions between
dancers.

When I presented that quotation to you, it is because I believed it
contained an important piece of wisdom. Miss Milligan has written and
spoken a lot about SCD. Some of the things she has written and spoken are
like this gem I have shared with you. But not every word she has recorded
or uttered is a gem of wisdom.

This may seem odd to you, but when I read something from WJD or The Manual,
or when I listen to a teacher in an SCD lesson, I actually engage my brain.
I ask, does this make sense? When somebody tells me that something is
correct or incorrect a little red flag goes up. I do not accept it without
question. I evaluate that statement in the light of everything else I know
about SCD. Nobody is exempt from this process, not even examiners, not even
our beloved Jean Milligan. If I do recognize it as wisdom, I file it in my
repository of useful things to know about doing or teaching SCD.

Cheers, Oberdan.

Phone: (805)484-2775, FAX: (805)484-2718, EMail: ootto@tvt.com

to touch or not

Message 17652 · ron.mackey · 13 Jun 1999 23:05:26 · Top

> It seems that the word according to Miss Milligan depends on where and when
> the word was spoken.
> Cheers,
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

Do you not find it ironical that the Oracle gave a different answer
at different times to the same question? Olympus was not perfect,
if what one reads is true ! :)
It obviously depended on what had been served for breakfast, whether
the pain was a bit insistent, the state of the weather etc. etc. and
the end result is, as Oberdan postulated, (if I read him
correctly) that we should use our own instinct as to what will
enhance the dance and what will ruin the moment.
I think the real message from J.M. is that we should ' Dance with
your soul'.
Cheers, Ron :)

'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

to touch or not

Message 17668 · SMiskoe · 14 Jun 1999 15:11:18 · Top

I agree with Ron that one should dance with one's soul. I get into trouble
when I meet up with the 'one should dance according to....'. Dancing is such
fun, and in the heat of the dance, if you forget something that is in the
'code' or try to elaborate, I personallydon't care. But there are others
with different opinions, and they should also be granted their right to
differ. (But that is is often hard to remember.)
\cheers,
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

to touch or not

Message 17669 · Smith, Kent · 14 Jun 1999 16:36:13 · Top

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB662.9C3D9788

In addition to what one ate for breakfast, etc., I suspect there is another,
pedagogical, reason for different messages at different times. Like all
teachers, Miss Milligan was confronted with different variations or "errors"
at different times, and she probably emphasized different points to
compensate for the problem of the moment. To correct something, one is
tempted to find a word that perhaps exaggerates in the other direction,
hoping things will balance out for that particular group or person.

As we know from the conflicting historical record, there were always people
with good memories to record what she said. Her words stick in our
collective memory, but not the contexts in which they were said.

Miss Milligan was also not a trained scholar or lawyer who carefully
considered all of the possible interpretations of what she wrote. I suspect
she was more careful in her writing than in her classes to be consistent and
general, but I don't think we should be surprised or disappointed to find
occasional inconsistencies. Also, the SCDS and later RSCDS was evolving its
interpretation of SCD, so there are also evolutions in the written
descriptions which were not always carefully edited for consistency in the
next edition.

Kent Smith (Connecticut, USA)

Do you not find it ironical that the Oracle gave a different answer
at different times to the same question? Olympus was not perfect,
if what one reads is true ! :)

------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB662.9C3D9788

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2232.0">
<TITLE>RE: to touch or not</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>In addition to what one ate for breakfast, etc., I =
suspect there is another, pedagogical, reason for different messages at =
different times.&nbsp; Like all teachers, Miss Milligan was confronted =
with different variations or &quot;errors&quot; at different times, and =
she probably emphasized different points to compensate for the problem =
of the moment.&nbsp; To correct something, one is tempted to find a =
word that perhaps exaggerates in the other direction, hoping things =
will balance out for that particular group or person.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>As we know from the conflicting historical record, =
there were always people with good memories to record what she =
said.&nbsp; Her words stick in our collective memory, but not the =
contexts in which they were said.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Miss Milligan was also not a trained scholar or =
lawyer who carefully considered all of the possible interpretations of =
what she wrote.&nbsp; I suspect she was more careful in her writing =
than in her classes to be consistent and general, but I don't think we =
should be surprised or disappointed to find occasional =
inconsistencies.&nbsp; Also, the SCDS and later RSCDS was evolving its =
interpretation of SCD, so there are also evolutions in the written =
descriptions which were not always carefully edited for consistency in =
the next edition.</FONT></P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; =
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Kent Smith (Connecticut, =
USA)</FONT>
</P>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: ron.mackey@post.btinternet.com</FONT>
</P>

<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT SIZE=3D2>Do you not =
find it ironical that the Oracle gave a different answer </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>at different times to the same question?&nbsp;&nbsp; =
Olympus was not perfect, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>if what one reads is true ! :)</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01BEB662.9C3D9788--