strathspey Archive: Dance search

Dance search

Message 17313 · Dianna Shipman · 15 May 1999 02:52:32 · Top

Can someone send me a description of "Duncan Gray" and "The Black, Black
Oil" and "The Cradle Song" and tell me their source - I couldn't find them
on the Dance Data base - they're on a CD I purchased and I'm curious what
the dances are like that go with the music, since the music is particularly
enjoyable.
Thanks,
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
1436 W.Gray, #134
Houston, TX 77019-4946
phone: 713-522-1212

Dance search

Message 17317 · Alan Paterson · 15 May 1999 23:09:55 · Top

Dianna Shipman wrote:

> Can someone send me a description of "Duncan Gray" and "The Black, Black
> Oil" and "The Cradle Song" and tell me their source - I couldn't find them
> on the Dance Data base - they're on a CD I purchased and I'm curious what
> the dances are like that go with the music, since the music is particularly
> enjoyable.

Duncan Gray is a 40 bar reel by John Drewry in the Rondel book.

The Black, Black Oil is a 5-couple 32-bar reel, also by Drewry in the 2nd Deeside book.

The Cradle Song. There are 2 of these. One is a 4-couple Strathspey, by Drewry, in the
Canadian book. The other is by Alec Hay in his book of 20 SCD.

Alan

P.S. All of this I took from the DanceData database!

Dance search

Message 17318 · Dianna Shipman · 16 May 1999 09:28:08 · Top

I tried finding them in the version I downloaded so maybe I've got something
off on the downloaded version - when I typed in the name and pressed find it
showed the dance name without details - thanks for the info.