strathspey Archive: Learning dances more easily

Learning dances more easily

Message 16226 · Marilynn Knight · 5 Mar 1999 17:47:57 · Top

The way different minds grasp dances fascinates me, both as an observer
& as a teacher(and probably as a free-spirited creative mind). I think
it is really an essential subject, also, if SCD is truly to be inviting
to more people, and more friendly. To be an advocate for the small
percentage who are like me, I find I can be readily distracted if there
is any tension present among the people in my set. No, I am not an
engineer.....

Learning dances more easily

Message 16228 · Miriam L. Mueller · 5 Mar 1999 18:55:39 · Top

The best teachers I've had use both "standard" terminology and as many
variant descriptions as they can muster. I've noticed that sometimes one
description will "click" for me, but I'll see a different terminology
register with other dancers. Think how dull the dancing would be if
people DIDN'T see things so variously!
Also, it's been implicit in the discussion so far that briefings need to
be adjusted to the audience and the situation. Obviously, you use
detailed terminology and briefing when teaching, minimal briefing as the
reminder at a ball.
As to local terminology, I appreciate the teacher who also includes the
"official" terms as well, so if I travel I can understand what to do
elsewhere. Also helps visitors to the local group.
Miriam

On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 10:44:25 -0500 Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>
writes:
>The way different minds grasp dances fascinates me, both as an
>observer
>& as a teacher(and probably as a free-spirited creative mind). I
>think
>it is really an essential subject, also, if SCD is truly to be
>inviting
>to more people, and more friendly. To be an advocate for the small
>percentage who are like me, I find I can be readily distracted if
>there
>is any tension present among the people in my set. No, I am not an
>engineer.....
>
>--
>Marilynn Knight <MarilynnK@sccc.org>

Learning dances more easily

Message 16235 · Dianna Shipman · 5 Mar 1999 23:51:15 · Top

I agree with the comment about tension - I've notice people seem to pick up
the dances more quickly in a relaxed setting.

I took a course in NLP once (stands for neuro linquistic programming) -
interesting research if you'd not heard of it before - a basic premises was
that there are four basic modes of communication and that each favors one
with another as a strong second and is weaker in the other two; there are:
visual (sight), auditory (hearing), kinesthetic (movement and feeling) and
olfactory/gustatory (less common - refers to sense of small and taste) - a
simple test is to take a piece of your writing and circle all the words that
relate to any of these senses (I see what you mean, I hear you, I feel, I
smell a rat etc.) count the number in each category and it's amazing how
often each person has a strong preference.

What all that has to do with learning dances more easily is that I notice
that if I ask the group to listen to a verbal description of a dance, have a
couple who knows how to do it walk it while they watch, then have them walk
it - they've all got it immediately - if I do only one of those things -
some get it and some don't. I've never met anyone whose primary orientation
to the world is olfactory/gustatory (this tends to be a second, third, or
fourth choice for most people) or maybe those folks are all off in a
restaurant somewhere instead of dancing!

My strongest category is kinesthetic (so I love the dances that flow well
with everyone moving) and visual next. Auditory is my weakest so briefings
don't help me much unless they conjure up something I can visualize.
Dianna
Dianna L. Shipman
diannashipman@worldnet.att.net
Dianna L. Shipman, P.C., Attorney at Law
1436 W.Gray, #134
Houston, TX 77019-4946
phone: 713-522-1212