strathspey Archive: Twirls and Claps

Twirls and Claps

Message 15925 · Campbell Downie · 17 Feb 1999 05:02:24 · Top

At the end of an advanced class during which we had worked hard (and
successfully) we had 15 minutes to spare. Everybody was raring to go,
and I decided to try the version of Mairi's Wedding with twirls and claps
recently described on the server.

I have always tended to the view of doing dances as they were written, but
to my surprise we all had a great time. It was a grand finish to the
evening and even those not-so-nimble dancers who didn't quite manage it
voted it all a great success.

We are a small group and only manage an advanced class once a month and I
see I am going to be asked for more of this sort of thing. Please send
me more variations like this

Campbell
Campbell Downie
PO Box 101269
Scottsville
3209 South Africa

Twirls and Claps

Message 15929 · Dewdney Andrew · 17 Feb 1999 10:29:59 · Top

Looks like we have a convert!!! Of course it's fun, where's the surprise in
that?
However, before any purists condemn my soul, let me just add I do it
properly too, (I've danced with several RSCDS and non-RSCDS dem teams.)
I recently danced in Middletown CT (hi there!) and I believe my
interpretation of the Duke of Perth (ably assisted by my father) was an
education!
Did you know it is possible, still with perfect timing, to do a 1 & 3/4 turn
with your partner during a corner-partner figure?
I know groups that practice this sort of thing, and it's sensible, so that
it can be done without spoiling the flow of the dance.
Then of course there's shadowing in reels, with parallel twiddles.....
twirling ladies out of allemandes by their right shoulder (particularly
effective in square sets)
let your creativity flow...

Andrew