strathspey Archive: Footwork vs Formations / Age

Footwork vs Formations / Age

Message 1579 · AMURDOC · 3 Apr 1995 22:56:55 · Top

Etienne Ozorak writes

"The reasons I have always been attracted to SCD is that it has always
allowed me (an introvert) the pleasure of holding hands with someone,
of smiling at her/him and of not being so closely guarded about
myself.
While I don't believe that the social quality should overrule the
concern for footwork and phrasing and other components of the art
form (this is not an either/or situation), the ultimate delight for
me is to be able to touch someone, however fleetingly, with kindness
and warmth."

I think this is why there are times in my life when I do SCD several times a
week, and other times when it is only a few times a year. I also suspect it
impacts on why many groups keep few new comers and have few young people.
Though it is admittedly a generalization, I have found that single younger
people are more likely to make eye contact and smile while dancing with a
strange new single man (or woman) than are older married people. I don't
know whether that is because some older married people are worried about
their spouse's reaction or whether they have simply foregotten that dancing
is supposed to be about fun and flirting, not calisthenics and acrobatics.
Maybe if more teachers and senior dancers emphazised the points Etienne
makes rather than that dance is good exercise (which it's not for most young
people) or a chance to show off (which it's not for beginners).

Alastair_Murdoch@UManitoba.CA

Footwork vs Formations / Age

Message 1619 · Alastair · 6 Apr 1995 00:25:41 · Top

----------
From: Murdoch, Alastair
To: strathspey
Subject: Re: Footwork vs Formations / Age
Date: Monday, April 03, 1995 1:21PM

Etienne Ozorak writes

[...]

Message 1623 · SMiskoe · 6 Apr 1995 01:52:29 · Top

A little addition to the discussion of keeping people, dancing, enjoying
one's partner. I recently played for a w/e in Austin, Texas. The teacher
was Jack Raines of Houston. He spent much time stressing the socialness of
dancing and of dancing with both one's partner and the whole set. During the
last class he taught a dance that had advance/retire and other figures that
had potential for eye contact. When the dance finished he asked, "Is anyone
dancing with a spouse?" When no one raised their hand, he then asked, "Do you
know the color of your partner's eyes?" Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH

Footwork vs Formations / Age

Message 1625 · Paul Hemenway · 6 Apr 1995 07:38:00 · Top

Thanks, Sylvia,

We had a weekend-long ball with you and Jack!

Meanwhile: Before Jack asked the eye-colo(u)r question, he had us
stand back to back with our partners! He also had us answer the
question mentally, NOT aloud to our partners. The point was well
made! And taken.

However, when we faced our partners to thank them for the dance, one
of the men (not this reporter!) exclaimed: "WOW, I WAS RIGHT!", from
which I concluded that he had GUESSED: i.e. HE DIDN'T KNOW.

You should always know the color of your partner's eyes at the end of
a dance!

paul