strathspey Archive: MW twirl

MW twirl

Message 15549 · Freeman/Pavey · 22 Jan 1999 00:10:33 · Top

A question for rogue SCDers:

Last fall I was at a ball dancing Mairi's Wedding in a set of
experienced dancers and a couple of the women corners did a spin (twirl?
twiddle?) in one or two of the half reels. I was very imnpressed. I
want some advice on how to do it. Note I am not asking advice on
whether to do it, so all those opposed to such things .... please just
hit the delete button now, and on any replies I might receive. I've
been trying to perfect my "twirl" skills occasionally in Australian
ladies by doing a 1 1/4 turn periodically as a corner (starting in 1st
man's position) during the "meanwhile".

Specifically with respect to Mairi's Wedding:
1) On which of the 4 bars of the half reel does one do the twirl?

2) Which direction do you twirl. I suppose its obvious, but not yet to
me.

3) Does it matter if the dancing couple is passing right or left
shoulders and if so how and why does it matter?

4) How does the twirl affect the opposite corner with whom one is
passing left shoulder. (Perhaps it takes place after the pass?)

Etc. etc. etc.

Thanks,

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

MW twirl

Message 15553 · Angus Henry · 22 Jan 1999 06:45:08 · Top

{snip}
>3) Does it matter if the dancing couple is passing right or left
>shoulders and if so how and why does it matter?
>
>Cole

After a couple of previous Strathspey threads on the Mairi's wedding
shoulders topic a new dance was written to resolve the ambiguity once and
for all. It was published in the Teachers Association of Canada TACTALK,
but for those of you who do not subscribe to TAC, here it is for your
collection. (If anyone wants a leaflet copy with the original layout
matching Cosh's "Mairi's Wedding" contact me privately and I can email a
Word 5.1 attachment [clean!] if you can download it).

Angus

MAIRI'S DIVORCE

(Reel)

(N.B. Dancing couple passing right shoulder in centre.)

MUSIC DESCRIPTION

Bars

1 - 4 First couple turn with right hand and cast one
place on own side. (Second couple move up.)
5 - 8 Then turn with left hand to corners.

9 - 12 First corners dance half reel of four with first
couple (the corners changing places), but first couple passing each other
by right shoulders in the middle instead of left shoulders.
13 - 16 First couple repeat with second corners.

17 - 20 First couple repeat with first corners. (Who are
now on other side.)
21 - 24 First couple repeat with second corners.

25 - 32 Reels of three across, the woman with second couple
and the man with third couple.

33 - 40 Six hands round and back.

Suggested tunes.- "Mairi's Wedding", "Scotland the Brave", "Thistle of
Scotland".

This dance was written as a companion piece to James Cosh's "Mairi's
Wedding"; a brief comparison of the original texts of both dances will make
it easy to remember which is which.

Dance devised by Angus Henry, 1998, after several long email discussions,
to assist dancers who had never actually read James Cosh's emphatically
clear published instructions for his dance "Mairi's Wedding".

* * * * * * * * * * * * *
Angus & Puka Henry:- 4 Eagle Court, WULAGI, NT 0812, AUSTRALIA
PHONE: (International) + 61 8 8927 9203 (Australia) (08) 8927 9203
FAX: as phone; (but phone first for contact)
E-mail: ahenry@octa4.net.au

MW twirl

Message 15557 · Stefan Barthel · 22 Jan 1999 10:49:16 · Top

>Specifically with respect to Mairi's Wedding:
>1) On which of the 4 bars of the half reel does one do the twirl?
On bar 2. If you like, clap hands as well.

>2) Which direction do you twirl. I suppose its obvious, but not yet to
>me.
Pulling right shoulder back while travelling on.
The path on the ground is not changing, it's the same as if you do
a normal left shoulder pass.

>3) Does it matter if the dancing couple is passing right or left
>shoulders and if so how and why does it matter?
Not really. But dancing couple passing right shoulder gives a bit more
space.

>4) How does the twirl affect the opposite corner with whom one is
>passing left shoulder. (Perhaps it takes place after the pass?)
Do not twirl if the opposite corner doesn't. Do not show off.
Do it together and have fun, espacially if you clap hands together.

Phrasing feet and claps:
And-one-two-three (win a bit more way)
And-two (clap own hands)-two (clap own hands)-three (clap both hands
together) (twirl)
And-three-two-three (out from centre)
And-four-two-three (into place)

Warning: If dancing couple twirls as well when passing right shoulder
it gets hard to avoid crashes!
Warning: It's something for more advanced dancers.
Warning: Avoid it, if you tend to get dizzy.
Warning: Eye contact is necessary.
Warning: Sorry, no time for flirting.

Stefan Barthel

Stefan Barthel bast@net24.de
Spardorfer Strasse 40a
D-91054 Erlangen ++49 / 9131 / 20 66 11 (p.)
++49 / 911 / 688 667 71 (d.)

http://home.net24.de/bast

MW twirl

Message 15569 · Freeman/Pavey · 22 Jan 1999 18:45:09 · Top

Stefan Barthel wrote:

> Do not twirl if the opposite corner doesn't. Do not show off.

Good comment. Obvious, but it didn't occur to me.

Thank you for the phrasings, and the warnings are well taken.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

MW twirl

Message 15590 · Andrew Patterson · 24 Jan 1999 14:28:38 · Top

It should also be avoided in dances where 1st
couple need to get a move on, such as The Irish
Rover where 1C need to gain enough time for the
left-hand turn at the end.

The twirlers can impede the progress of 1C,
particularly if they put in the clap that Stefan
suggested. This is the most difficult part to get
right.

> And-one-two-three (win a bit more way)
> And-two (clap own hands)-two (clap own
hands)-three (clap both hands
> together) (twirl)

Stefan, here we (clap own hands) while twirling
and (clap both hands together)at the end of bar 2
(I think)and about to dance out to the sidelines.
Do you agree?

Andy London(UK)