strathspey Archive: Who is Tim Wright

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15445 · RMess61412 · 11 Jan 1999 20:34:15 · Top

We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.

The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he has
done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know the
origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of this
record!

Dawn Dorsey & Bob Messner in Atlanta Georgia USA

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15447 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 11 Jan 1999 22:04:45 · Top

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 RMess61412@aol.com wrote:

> We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
> created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
> band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.

I also have a copy of this record. It was made some time between 1957 and
1965 somewhere in the NYC area and was copied from old (relative to
the recoding date) out-of-print records. Tim Wright probably did the
orginal recording of some of the tracks, but I'm sure that other bands are
on it also. The original tracks were probably recorded in the 1940s &
1950s.

I hope that the originators, or some knowledgeable musicians, are on
strathspey and will give the original sources for the tracks.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15449 · Etienne Ozorak · 11 Jan 1999 23:20:25 · Top

It's a rare one, indeed.

I could not tell you how many recordings he has made. However, his music
provided the seed from which Barbara McOwen's Berkeley Players grew. For
some years, Tim Wright did the music arranging for the RSCDS books.

Etienne

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 RMess61412@aol.com wrote:

> We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
> created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
> band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.
>
> The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he has
> done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know the
> origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of this
> record!
>
> Dawn Dorsey & Bob Messner in Atlanta Georgia USA
>
> --
> RMess61412@aol.com

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15452 · eclyde · 11 Jan 1999 23:47:21 · Top

I can't comment on whether or not Tim Wright produced LPs,
but he was a popular Scottish dance band leader in the late 40s
and early 50s. (He may have played after that date, but I left
Scotland in 1954.) If I recall correctly, he played for weekly
dances in Edinburgh.

He did produce a number of 78 rpm records plus one or two 45 rpms.

Eric Clyde

RMess61412@aol.com wrote:

> We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
> created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
> band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.
>
> The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he has
> done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know the
> origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of this
> record!
>
> Dawn Dorsey & Bob Messner in Atlanta Georgia USA
>
> --
> RMess61412@aol.com

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15459 · Ken McFarland · 12 Jan 1999 09:58:47 · Top

Dawn and Bob wrote:
>We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering
>who created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It
>has a full band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.

Kelpie Magic was produced without the benefit of permission from the
Copyright holders (which is why he was vague in his answers to Geoff Palmer
and others). Before I knew that, in about 1974 I ordered about 15 copies for
various members of the Berkeley Class (including Barbara McOwen). The story
going
around at the time was that permission had been requested and denied, but
the
producers of the bootleg record felt that the music was too beautiful to see
it disappear.

I knew about Tim Wright from the 78 rpm recordings that (teachers) Stewart
Smith and Mark Post had. When Barbara began the first band in the SF Branch,
she used his sound as one of her models, but the more important model was
the Scottish Country Dance Players. You would see a similarity with piano
usage and rich orchestration in the Berkeley Scottish Players album. Note
the similarity in the names: Scottish Country Dance Players and Berkeley
Scottish Players....that was not an accident! And the reason that the dance
"Johnny
Groat's House" became popular in the 1970s was due to the beauty of the Tim
Wright
recording, which Barbara and the Berkeley Players emulated.

Etienne mentioned that they had inspired Barbara McOwen, but they also
inspired Kim McGarrity. Sometime in the 1970's she took road trip across the
USA and never listened to anything except those wonderful old recordings. I
think they influenced her use of harmonies.

I do actually have all of the 78 rpm records that Kelpie Magic was taken
from but they are in storage so any information that I could provide would
be from memory. It seems to me that the band reflects the style of popular
music of the time: the "big band" sound. As part of the rich orchestration,
there are beautiful solos in many recordings; I remember one where a cello
speaks to the dancers in a melancholy voice that begs for an answer...and
therefore the dancer answers with exceptional dancing. There is musical
bantering: what Alastair Fraser refers to as "question and answer". The solo
theme is presented by one instrument, and repeated back perhaps in a
different key by a different instrument. They can keep up this musical
conversation for some time, and the dancer is not sorry for it.

>The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he
>has done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted
>to know the origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there
>have heard of this record!

The last set of recordings done by Tim Wright was in 1959 mostly for dances
from Book 19 - there are 6 45 rpm records, with a full length dance on each
side. For many years they were the only recordings of dances like "Two and
Two", "Lochiel's Rant", "None So Pretty" and "Admiral Nelson's Hornpipe".
Because my collection is in storage I can't tell you exactly how many
records they recorded, but as I recall it was a significant number (60 - 80
strikes me as probably close). But remember that each side of the record had
only one dance. Until the 12" record came along, the dances were only
partial and the record had to be re-played to complete the full dance.

In any case, the dance data base could be corrected to reflect the names of
both bands, because the tracks mentioned by Geoff Palmer are excellent, and
the Scottish Country Dance Players deserve some credit for beautiful
recordings. And my first project when I get a CD recording device will be to
save these precious old recordings in hopes that future generations will
enjoy them.

Ken McFarland

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15465 · Frans Ligtmans · 12 Jan 1999 16:50:09 · Top

Dear friends,
I have six 45 rpm records by Tim Wright and his Band. One is recorded under
the auspices of the RSCDS. On the cover is quite a long story about Tim
Wright. I can send that to strathspey, if anyone is interested. The label is
His Master's Voice.
The other five are brought out by Paxton Records, it is a series of six, but
number five (Eightsome Reel and Petronella) is missing. The sound quality (I
bought them new in the fifties) is very poor and probable not good enough to
use them for a re-recording. Two then well known dancers are on the cover.
Happy Dancing, Frans Ligtmans.

>We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering
who
>created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a
full
>band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.
>
>The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he
has
>done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know
the
>origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of
this
>record!
>
>Dawn Dorsey & Bob Messner in Atlanta Georgia USA
>
>--
>RMess61412@aol.com

Middle School Opportunity

Message 15464 · Joe Suminski · 12 Jan 1999 15:52:32 · Top

I have a friend in Garner, NC who teaches physical education at a middle
school. They teach in blocks usualy one week long. I suggested that
Scottish country dance may be a qualified and interesting block for the
children. Is there anyone in the Raleigh area that would be interested in
talking about the possibilities to determine if this could be accomplished.
Please contact me at dometric@dnet.net.

Joe Suminski
Franklin, NC

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15471 · Bryan McAlister · 12 Jan 1999 23:35:17 · Top

In article <13ea0cc3.369a43c6@aol.com>, RMess61412@aol.com writes
>We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
>created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
>band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.
>
>The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he has
>done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know the
>origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of this
>record!
>
>Dawn Dorsey & Bob Messner in Atlanta Georgia USA
>
>--
>RMess61412@aol.com

You dont say where the album was made or when. Could it be the Cavendish
Band from edinburgh
--
Bryan McAlister

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15473 · Tappan · 12 Jan 1999 23:57:34 · Top

Dawn Dorsey and Bob Messner wrote,

>We have had access to an LP (Album) called Kelpie Magic and are wondering who
>created the album. Rumor has it there were only 300 copies made. It has a full
>band sound and I'm curious as to the time period of the music.
>
>The Dance data base says the author is Tim Wright. Is this the only LP he has
>done? We have since put the music to a CD for teaching and wanted to know the
>origins of the music and author. Maybe one of you out there have heard of this
>record!

I forwarded this message to Charles Gore because I recalled him talking
about Tim Wright. Here's his reply:

"The only list I subscribe to is Scot-L, so I am very limited in my access
to what's going. What I can say is that if Tim Wright is featured in old
recordings, I am in touch with probably the only living expert on the
subject, my brother-in-law, who possesses an archive of all the extant
recordings of the 50s and 60s from the Cavendish Ballroom (Edinburgh).
But now we may be saying that here is more archive material?"

His email address is Charles Gore <CGore1Index@compuserve.com> if someone
wants to contact him directly.

Jan Tappan
Fiddlers Crossing

Who is Tim Wright

Message 15484 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 13 Jan 1999 16:12:02 · Top

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Tappan wrote:

{snip}
> "The only list I subscribe to is Scot-L, so I am very limited in my access
> to what's going. What I can say is that if Tim Wright is featured in old
> recordings, I am in touch with probably the only living expert on the
> subject, my brother-in-law, who possesses an archive of all the extant
> recordings of the 50s and 60s from the Cavendish Ballroom (Edinburgh).
> But now we may be saying that here is more archive material?"

I know this record was made illegally in the eastern part of the U.S. I
took care not to ask questions about who made it.