strathspey Archive: 1-2-3-AND

1-2-3-AND

Message 15315 · Melbourne Briscoe · 23 Dec 1998 19:04:14 · Top

At 10:43 AM 12/23/1998 -0500, you wrote:
>> Skip change is similar. Step-close-step-hop becomes
>> step-close-step-and, which becomes one-two-three-and when up to speed.
>
>Shouldn't skip change be "hop step close step" instead of "step close step
>hop"? The step always begins with a hop. By the way, I have no trouble
>saying "hop step close step" at dancing speed.

We "borrow" the last beat of the previous bar for the hop. The four beats
of the step correspond to the last beat of one bar and the first three of
the next (reel time). So you start dancing before the downbeat of your
first bar, and--if you finish your step and then bring your heels to the
floor--you stop dancing on the first beat of the next phrase. Start before
you begin, and finish after you stop...I would never confuse a basic dancer
with this! I guess the musical equivalent is the pickup notes at the
beginning of the first tune.

Ellie Briscoe

1-2-3-AND

Message 15326 · Chris Collin · 24 Dec 1998 18:43:05 · Top

Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov wrote:

> > Skip change is similar. Step-close-step-hop becomes
> > step-close-step-and, which becomes one-two-three-and when up to speed.
>
> Shouldn't skip change be "hop step close step" instead of "step close step
> hop"? The step always begins with a hop. By the way, I have no trouble
> saying "hop step close step" at dancing speed.

(Blush!) Of course, you are right. My teaching hat must have been
elsewhere.

> I often count bars, but never individual beats, nor am I familiar
> with this practice, so this discussion about the use of "and" is a bit
> mystifying to me.

I use the counting of individual beats mostly for teaching a movement,
usually in slow motion. I count bars also when teaching; when dancing I
usually just listen to the music, looking for the breaks between
phrases. A teach I know in Kingston (Ontario) is often able to tell
exactly where in the music you are. Teaching say the last 12 bars of a
dance, she will listen to the music, and say her "ready, and..." at
exactly the right place, to finish with the music. She needs only a few
bars to orient herself. Quite a useful talent!