strathspey Archive: Composition

Composition

Message 15277 · Jodie Hebert · 21 Dec 1998 17:11:48 · Top

Cole, I can't believe you forgot to mention the librarians on the list,
who make up a sizable part of the SCD population! So send your flyers
to us too, Diana ;>))

> Subject: Re: composition
> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:35:31 -0600
> From: "Dianna Shipman" <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net>
> To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
>
> Thank you Cole - now I know where to start sending flyers for Scottish
> Country Dancing - to the knitting groups, the engineer groups, etc.
> Dianna Shipman
> Houston, Texas

Message 15288 · Dianna Shipman · 22 Dec 1998 00:27:00 · Top

Thanks - will add librarians to the list -- any other occupations/special
interest groups? I'm an attorney and we do get a few attorneys but for the
most part it's attorneys who do not fit the typical profile of the legal
profession.
Dianna
>Cole, I can't believe you forgot to mention the librarians on the list,
>who make up a sizable part of the SCD population! So send your flyers
>to us too, Diana ;>))
>
>> Subject: Re: composition
>> Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 16:35:31 -0600
>> From: "Dianna Shipman" <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net>
>> To: <strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
>>
>> Thank you Cole - now I know where to start sending flyers for Scottish
>> Country Dancing - to the knitting groups, the engineer groups, etc.
>> Dianna Shipman
>> Houston, Texas

Message 15290 · Freeman/Pavey · 22 Dec 1998 00:30:00 · Top

Jodie Hebert wrote:

> Cole, I can't believe you forgot to mention the librarians on the list,
> who make up a sizable part of the SCD population! So send your flyers
> to us too, Diana ;>))

Librarians? Pattern people? Hmmmm. Hadn't thought of that before.

:)

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Composition

Message 15317 · Bryan McAlister · 23 Dec 1998 21:23:15 · Top

In article <010201be2d31$5c84b140$44e2490c@pavilion>, Dianna Shipman
<diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> writes
>Thanks - will add librarians to the list -- any other occupations/special
>interest groups?
I would put in plea for Architects were I feeling anally retentive.
--
Bryan McAlister

Composition

Message 15410 · Keith Grant · 7 Jan 1999 16:43:32 · Top

Dianna Shipman wrote (Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600):

> Thanks - will add librarians to the list -- any other occupations/special
> interest groups? I'm an attorney and we do get a few attorneys but for the
> most part it's attorneys who do not fit the typical profile of the legal
> profession.
> Dianna

It would seem that those who thrive on the nature of SCD are those attracted
to details of pattern and precedent. What lawyers miss in orientation to
pattern, they seem to regain is discussions of precedent.

...Keith

--

+--------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
I Keith Eric Grant I We must remember that everything I

Composition

Message 15414 · Wilkie, Irene · 8 Jan 1999 12:04:09 · Top

I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
out there on the list?
On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600 Dianna Shipman
<diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Thanks - will add librarians to the list -- any other occupations/special
> interest groups? I'm an attorney and we do get a few attorneys but for the
> most part it's attorneys who do not fit the typical profile of the legal
> profession.
> Dianna

Wilkie, Irene
Email: Irene.Wilkie@uwe.ac.uk
"University of the West of England"

Composition

Message 15415 · Susi Mayr · 8 Jan 1999 13:22:41 · Top

Well, I'm a trilingual translator - does that count ?

Susi

Wilkie, Irene wrote:

> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?

Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

Composition

Message 15416 · Pia · 8 Jan 1999 15:06:27 · Top

Hi Irene

Well, I am a translator, does that count? - and no I did not speak english
when I were a children.

Incidentally, I found the discussion abuot Balquhidder very interesting and
noticed that nobody came back after somebody had mentioned middle england -
proud scots out there or what??? :>)))

I wonder if the transformation of the q to an h-sound is not because a q is
always very soft, and therefore sounds like an H but with a soft K- sound
from the back of the mouth. Therefore over the years the word has been
pronounced more and more like an H.???? In danish we have mute D's which
to the british ear sounds just like an L, but is in fact pronounced like
the start of th in words like this, that and the other. i.e. the tongue
tripping over the front teeth.

And to bring this blether into a dance context - the evolution of dancing
progresses the same way and languages - people think they hear or see
something which is different from what is intended!!!!!

NB: Notice, I cleaned up this e-mail before I replyed and resent it!!!!!!

Pia

----------
> From: Wilkie, Irene <Irene.Wilkie@uwe.ac.uk>
> To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> Cc: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> Subject: Re: Composition
> Date: 08 January 1999 15:04
>
> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?
> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600 Dianna Shipman
> <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Composition

Message 15418 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 8 Jan 1999 16:35:04 · Top

I *almost* became a linguist but became a librarian/archivist instead.
Does that count?

--Lara Friedman~Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If a rock falls on an egg
Lara Friedman~Shedlov Too bad, too bad for the egg
laradf@mail.si.umich.edu If an egg falls on a rock
Too bad for the egg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Wilkie, Irene wrote:

> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?
> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600 Dianna Shipman
> <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

Composition

Message 15421 · Alan Twhigg · 8 Jan 1999 19:39:33 · Top

Wilkie, Irene wrote:

> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?
> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600 Dianna Shipman
> <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

I trained as a linguist in medieval languages, but have adapted to the
necessities of life in Silicon Valley by becoming a technical
writer/editor, in essence a translator of engineering-speak into more
widely comprehensible media. Also have worked as a technical translator,
but not for some years.

-Alan Twhigg.

Composition

Message 15422 · Ian Price · 8 Jan 1999 20:00:59 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=

Wilkie, Irene wrote:
> =

> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?<

Talk throughs in 3 languages? Aargh!! =

-2chter

Composition

Message 15423 · Ian Price · 8 Jan 1999 20:05:26 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
>NB: Notice, I cleaned up this e-mail before I replyed and resent it!!!!=
!!

Pia<

Well I'm no linguist, but should I treat re-sent mail with resentment als=
o?
:-)

-2chter

Composition

Message 15424 · Susi Mayr · 8 Jan 1999 20:26:39 · Top

Ian Price wrote:

> Talk throughs in 3 languages? Aargh!!

I do try not to mix the languages in any one sentence, not always
successfully ...

Susi
Susi Mayr
Vienna, Austria
susi@redrose.co.at

Composition

Message 15428 · Pia · 9 Jan 1999 11:53:45 · Top

Does that mean that all the manuals you write has something like: "Thou
pressests button B" written into it? :>)

Pia

----------
> From: Alan Twhigg <alan_twhigg@net.com>
> To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> Subject: Re: Composition
> Date: 08 January 1999 17:39

> I trained as a linguist in medieval languages, but have adapted to the
> necessities of life in Silicon Valley by becoming a technical
> writer/editor, in essence a translator of engineering-speak into more
> widely comprehensible media. Also have worked as a technical translator,
> but not for some years.
>
> -Alan Twhigg.
>
> --
> Alan Twhigg <alan_twhigg@net.com>

Composition

Message 15435 · Stella Fogg · 10 Jan 1999 00:13:53 · Top

Thanks Pia for the laugh of the day....."pressests"
Stella

Composition

Message 15443 · Maghi King · 11 Jan 1999 19:20:32 · Top

Does a computational linguist count?

Maghi

Wilkie, Irene wrote:

> I may be in a minority of one, but I'm a linguist. Any more
> out there on the list?
> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 15:46:27 -0600 Dianna Shipman
> <diannashipman@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

--
Please note my new e-mail address (old address was king@divsun.unige.ch)
Maghi King | E-mail: Margaret.King@issco.unige.ch