strathspey Archive: Ron Gonnella

Ron Gonnella

Message 151 · Ellie Briscoe · 21 Feb 1994 06:15:39 · Top

I was informed today that Ron Gonnella, master of the fiddle,
died this week, from cancer. Please pass the information on
to non-email friends who knew him or his music.
Ellie Briscoe

Ron Gonnella

Message 152 · James Cameron Orr Jim · 22 Feb 1994 17:08:53 · Top

Sorry to hear about Ron Gonnella. Did he produce any records/CDs
suitable for dancing? The record of his that I have is magnificent,
but, eg, no bow/curtsey bars.

Jim Orr
PS I should have asked the strathNet.

Ron Gonnella

Message 153 · Shengzhang Tang · 22 Feb 1994 20:05:02 · Top

Jim Orr wrote:
> Sorry to hear about Ron Gonnella. Did he produce any records/CDs
> suitable for dancing? The record of his that I have is magnificent,
> but, eg, no bow/curtsey bars.
Well, I know Ron Gonnella had several records and tapes made under
the "Scottish Dance Master" serier:
Vol 1 with Andrew Rankine, Vol 2 with Iain MacPhail, Vol 3 with
(I think) Macllwham (flute) and the band, Vol 4 with Stan Hamilton and the
band, Vol 5 with Macllwham and the band.
Most of tihing on those recording are in strict dance tempo with a few airs
and waltz. He and Macllwham also made a album called "The Lad O' Kyle", which
is also mostly dance music (with chords).
He also made several recordings of talking and playing some of the
music from those Scottish Fiddle Masters, but not dancing music.
He may have some recent recordings I am not aware of. If anyone
on the net knows, it would be great to post it on the mailing list.
Shengzhang Tang
stang@rad.uab.edu