strathspey Archive: Odd SCD Music

Odd SCD Music

Message 1481 · PIERCE_G · 28 Mar 1995 05:06:34 · Top

The strangest tune I've ever danced to was the theme from the Mickey
Mouse Club (not that that tune is particularly strange - it was just
strange to be dancing to it). Surprisingly enough it accompanies
"White Heather Jig" quite well.

As I recall, the set also broke into song at one point, which probably
reinforces David Newitt's comment on people actually remembering the
words to these little ditties.

Ginger Pierce
pierce_g@zeus.ieminc.com

Odd SCD Music

Message 1482 · David Mostardi · 28 Mar 1995 06:13:13 · Top

Have you all noticed that all the "silly music"
mentioned in this thread in jig time? Mr. Ed,
Leave it to Beaver, Mickey Mouse, Nellie the
Elephant...

There is one 'silly strathspey' I can think of
("If I Only Had a Brain", from the Wizard of Oz),
but virtually everything else is in jig time.

What is it about 6/8 time that makes us think 'silly'?

Just wondering,
David

David Mostardi Email: david@mbari.org
Systems Administrator Phone: (408) 647-3734
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute FAX: (408) 649-8587
160 Central Ave., Pacific Grove CA 93950

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."

Odd SCD Music

Message 1483 · Andrew J. Smith · 28 Mar 1995 06:15:52 · Top

I think Ginger regers to the MacRowdie Ceilidh Band set for White Heather
Jig, which also includes "The Teddy Bear's Picnic" as I recall.

Message from:
Andrew J. M. Smith
mstajsx@gsusgi2.gsu.edu

On Mon, 27 Mar 1995 PIERCE_G@ccgate.ieminc.com wrote:

> The strangest tune I've ever danced to was the theme from the Mickey
> Mouse Club (not that that tune is particularly strange - it was just
> strange to be dancing to it). Surprisingly enough it accompanies
> "White Heather Jig" quite well.
>
> As I recall, the set also broke into song at one point, which probably
> reinforces David Newitt's comment on people actually remembering the
> words to these little ditties.
>
> Ginger Pierce
> pierce_g@zeus.ieminc.com

Odd SCD Music

Message 1486 · Anselm Lingnau · 28 Mar 1995 11:06:33 · Top

David Mostardi <david@mbari.org> writes:

> What is it about 6/8 time that makes us think 'silly'?

Some of the silly things I've been up to recently weren't in jig time at all.

It turns out that Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life from Monty Python's
The Life Of Brian is quite usable as a strathspey.

Other ditties that seem to go down well with audiences are Bare Necessities
and the monkey song (can't recall the title), both from the Disney movie,
Jungle Book. We're Off To See The Wizard from the musical, The Wizard Of Oz,
is another possibility (jig time again), but not as well-known, at least over
here. I've also played sundry takes from German TV, whose titles won't mean
much to the transatlantic part of our audience.

My biggest `hit' to date was the Bavarian Tune Set for `Trip to Bavaria'.
When I'm playing on workshops I often use a MIDI tone generator for the
piano sounds since it is easier to lug around, and I usually keep a special
oompah band patch handy for Trip to Bavaria.

Anselm
If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
--- Amphibious Warfare Review, Spring '89

Odd SCD Music

Message 1493 · Donald L. Corson · 29 Mar 1995 06:36:41 · Top

...dancing to the Mickey Mouse Club song...
When I was first country dancing I actually wrote a contra dance for that
song! Part of that phase of learning, I suppose.

We have a grocery store chain here called Winn Dixie and I called my
dance "WD's Rodent."

- Don -

Odd SCD Music

Message 1532 · SMiskoe · 31 Mar 1995 03:22:20 · Top

I often play a tune that Dudley Laufman adapted from Mozart's Concerto for
Horn and Orchestra, #2 in Eb, K417. It's a great jig and on occasion someone
will ask 'What's that tune and where did you get that it?' Sylvia Miskoe

Odd SCD Music

Message 1533 · David Mostardi · 31 Mar 1995 04:47:47 · Top

> I often play a tune that Dudley Laufman adapted from Mozart's Concerto for
> Horn and Orchestra, #2 in Eb, K417. It's a great jig and on occasion someone
> will ask 'What's that tune and where did you get that it?' Sylvia Miskoe

Sounds wonderful! Are copies available?

Regards,
David Mostardi Email: david@mbari.org
Systems Administrator Phone: (408) 647-3734
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute FAX: (408) 649-8587
160 Central Ave., Pacific Grove CA 93950

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
-- Popular Mechanics, 1949

Odd SCD Music

Message 1551 · ETA.UI.LESLIEF · 31 Mar 1995 19:49:13 · Top

** High Priority **
We were discussing strathspey and Odd SCD music with an old friend,
Jean Bailey, from Gt Britain, when she volunteered the following
tale.
We were at TAC school at the time Stan Hamilton and Ian Powrie were
the musicians for class - think this was about 1987. Wes Clendenning
was the teacher and those two old friends, who had not seen each
other for twenty years, were so busy exchanging stories, that they
seldom picked up in "eight bars please, gentlemen" as quickly as they
should. Eventually the teacher dressed them down severly and
requested that they play thru the dance that has just been taught.
Stan and Ian obliged with eight bars of excellent Scottish reel music
and without warning or missing a beat proceeded to play 'Mairz eat
oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy' in perfect SCD
rhythm
The class started singing as they danced and the instructor, instead
of blowing up collapsed, into what is best said as ROTFLHAO.

We used to do a few McRowdie dances when attending the Tidewater
Scottish games in Norfolk, VA including such old favorites as
'MacDonald of the Nile' and 'Monty Python's salute the the RSCDS'. A
bit of irreverance perhaps, but it shows that SCD is really alive and
well these days.

So much for some other SCD odd music incidents.

We find strathspey a wealth of interesting stuff about SCD. It will
generate some good suggestions to our teacher's committees and some
excellent fillers for our newsletters. We thank all you folks who
contribute your experiences, questions and notions. We would also
like to read more discussions about the music.

Anne and Francis Leslie Alexandria Va aleslie@capaccess.org