strathspey Archive: meshing together

meshing together

Message 14700 · Martin.Sheffield · 20 Nov 1998 19:26:55 · Top

> (...) and the dance and music seem to mesh together beautifully.

Never mind who wrote it, never mind what dance he was writing about. It's
the kind of thing that is frequently said, on this list and elsewhere.

Has anyone ever said the opposite?

Is there any reason why a tune should not fit a dance?

A part from the fact that many popular dances are *always* done to the
ordained tunes, and that through habit, we enjoy them that way, may I call
a jig a jig, and say that the publications committee were not far wrong
when they prescribed "any good reel/jig/spey". Claiming that *any* tune
will not do, is rot !

When a tune is played AABB, that means that the same 8-bar sequence is used
for two different figures. In some dances, bars 17-24 repeat the figures of
bars 9-16, yet we hear a different musical sequence, the B part, which is
then repeated for another figure.

To go back to a recent message of mine: if I decided to use Sylvia's tune
for a newly devised dance that had not its own tune, it wasn't because it
meshed any better with the figures, just that I liked the tune, and assumed
my dancers would too.

If anyone writes and records a jig with the form ABBA, or even ABBC, do let
me know.

Martin,
Grenoble, France.
------------------ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/
Cycling, country dancing ...

meshing together

Message 14704 · Ian Price · 20 Nov 1998 22:36:01 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
>Is there any reason why a tune should not fit a dance?<

Anyone who assembles a set of four tunes for a specific dance is doing
exactly that for at least three of 'em.

-2chter

meshing together

Message 14705 · eclyde · 20 Nov 1998 22:36:20 · Top

Martin:

I don't altogether agree with you -- there are some tunes that seem wrong
with certain dances, at least to me. I do agree, though, that it is better
to have a good tune (i.e. one that I like and that feels lively) to accompany
a dance than one that is leaden, even if it is the "correct" tune.

Eric

M Sheffield wrote:

> > (...) and the dance and music seem to mesh together beautifully.
>
> Never mind who wrote it, never mind what dance he was writing about. It's
> the kind of thing that is frequently said, on this list and elsewhere.
>
> Has anyone ever said the opposite?
>
> Is there any reason why a tune should not fit a dance?
>
> A part from the fact that many popular dances are *always* done to the
> ordained tunes, and that through habit, we enjoy them that way, may I call
> a jig a jig, and say that the publications committee were not far wrong
> when they prescribed "any good reel/jig/spey". Claiming that *any* tune
> will not do, is rot !
>
> When a tune is played AABB, that means that the same 8-bar sequence is used
> for two different figures. In some dances, bars 17-24 repeat the figures of
> bars 9-16, yet we hear a different musical sequence, the B part, which is
> then repeated for another figure.
>
> To go back to a recent message of mine: if I decided to use Sylvia's tune
> for a newly devised dance that had not its own tune, it wasn't because it
> meshed any better with the figures, just that I liked the tune, and assumed
> my dancers would too.
>
> If anyone writes and records a jig with the form ABBA, or even ABBC, do let
> me know.
>
> Martin,
> Grenoble, France.
> ------------------ http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/
> Cycling, country dancing ...
>
> --
> M Sheffield <martin.sheffield@wanadoo.fr>

meshing together

Message 14707 · Ian Price · 20 Nov 1998 22:36:28 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
>If anyone writes and records a jig with the form ABBA, or even ABBC, do
let
me know.<

All the time

-2chter