strathspey Archive: monetary trivia (bawbees)

Previous thread: How long a beginner?
Next thread: meshing together

monetary trivia (bawbees)

Message 14697 · Peter Hastings · 20 Nov 1998 18:22:39 · Top

The older bawbee was worth sixpence i.e. one-twentyfourth of a pound.

However, the Scots pound was worth one-twelfth of a pound Sterling.

So eventually the Scots term bawbee was used for a halfpenny which was its
value in Sterling.

It is now obvious why many other countries used a decimal coinage.

Peter Hastings
Royal Observatory
Edinburgh
(:

ps so who was Jenny ?

monetary trivia (bawbees)

Message 14706 · Ian Price · 20 Nov 1998 22:36:24 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
e
>However, the Scots pound was worth one-twelfth of a pound Sterling.<

Which is about the value of today's Canuck Buck in relation to Uncle Sam'=
s
dollar.

-2chter

monetary trivia (bawbees)

Message 14711 · Norman BETT · 21 Nov 1998 12:16:48 · Top

on 20 Nov 98, strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote...

>
>The older bawbee was worth sixpence i.e. one-twentyfourth of a pound.
>
>However, the Scots pound was worth one-twelfth of a pound Sterling.
>
>So eventually the Scots term bawbee was used for a halfpenny which was its
>value in Sterling.
>
>It is now obvious why many other countries used a decimal coinage.
>
>
>Peter Hastings
>Royal Observatory
>Edinburgh
>(:
>
>ps so who was Jenny ?
>
Thank you for this illuminating discourse on the `bawbee'.

I don't think we'll ever know who Jenny was. Incidentally, which came first:
the old air from Niel Gow's collection or `Polly put the kettle on' ?

Norman

Norman Bett
Cambridge UK

Tel: 01223-248988

monetary trivia (bawbees)

Message 14712 · eclyde · 21 Nov 1998 17:35:20 · Top

Norman:

As of today, 21st November, the Canadian dollar is worth about 64cents U.S.
or .381 new pence (UK). But, with regard to the latter, the official exchange
rate bears no relation to the actual purchasing power. When Canadians
visit the UK they find that it costs about 1 pound to buy what would cost
$1 in Canada. Perhaps I should add, except for Ball tickets -- I guess
that the cost of hiring the bands is much less in the UK.

Eric

Norman BETT wrote:

> on 20 Nov 98, strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote...
>
> >
> >The older bawbee was worth sixpence i.e. one-twentyfourth of a pound.
> >
> >However, the Scots pound was worth one-twelfth of a pound Sterling.
> >
> >So eventually the Scots term bawbee was used for a halfpenny which was its
> >value in Sterling.
> >
> >It is now obvious why many other countries used a decimal coinage.
> >
> >
> >Peter Hastings
> >Royal Observatory
> >Edinburgh
> >(:
> >
> >ps so who was Jenny ?
> >
> Thank you for this illuminating discourse on the `bawbee'.
>
> I don't think we'll ever know who Jenny was. Incidentally, which came first:
> the old air from Niel Gow's collection or `Polly put the kettle on' ?
>
> Norman
>
> Norman Bett
> Cambridge UK
>
> Tel: 01223-248988
>
> --
> Norman BETT <norbet@clara.net>

monetary trivia (bawbees)

Message 14715 · Fred Collins · 21 Nov 1998 23:40:00 · Top

Eric says
----------
">"Perhaps I should add, except for Ball tickets -- I guess
">"that the cost of hiring the bands is much less in the UK.

It is important to remember that the major reason for lower costs of hiring
bands in the UK, particularily in Scotland, is
that the admission fees are dictating the number of musicians feasible to be
hired-----therefore limiting the size of bands to duos and trios.

Kathy


Previous thread: How long a beginner?
Next thread: meshing together
A Django site.