strathspey Archive: Background info

Background info

Message 14666 · Jim & Marla · 19 Nov 1998 08:51:56 · Top

Looking for background information into about a few dances we are doing this
weekend. The Hollin Bus, The White Cockade, and Jenny's Bawbee. We are
looking for info as what the titles mean or the reasons why they were
devised. Meanings to the words Bawbee of Cockade whould help. Any help is
appreciated.
This server is a great help.
Marla

Background info

Message 14668 · Alan Paterson · 19 Nov 1998 09:51:14 · Top

Jim & Marla wrote:

> Looking for background information into about a few dances we are doing this
> weekend. The Hollin Bus, The White Cockade, and Jenny's Bawbee. We are
> looking for info as what the titles mean or the reasons why they were
> devised. Meanings to the words Bawbee of Cockade whould help. Any help is
> appreciated.

Marla, one source of such information which I use is the Ceolas - Fiddler's
Companion (URL below). When I input White Cockade, I get (among a lot of other
stuff) a whole page of information about the TUNE White Cockade. among this

"A cockade was a ribbon in the shape of a rosette used as a decoration on hats.
Various colors had different meanings--a white cockade was associated with
America and during the Revolution the white was joined with a black cockade,
symbolizing France, to form the Alliance cockade (Johnson)./ "This dance takes
its name from the rosette or knot worn on the hat by servants of officers in the
army or navy or diplomatic corps. The cockade of the house of (Prince Charles
Edward) Stuart was white (while that of the House of Hanover was black)"

Try it with the other dance names and see.

http://www.ceolas.org/tunes/fc/

Alan

Background info

Message 14694 · Norman BETT · 20 Nov 1998 14:15:56 · Top

on 18 Nov 98, strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote...

>Looking for background information into about a few dances we are doing this
>weekend. The Hollin Bus, The White Cockade, and Jenny's Bawbee. We are
>looking for info as what the titles mean or the reasons why they were
>devised. Meanings to the words Bawbee of Cockade whould help. Any help is
>appreciated.

>Jim & Marla <manson@junction.net>
>

>I am surprised that no one has come up with info about the Bawbee. It is
simply the old Scots name for the halfpenny, 1/2d of course, not 1/2p ! I can
remember a time when you could buy a stick of soft liquorice for a bawbee. I can
still recollect the yummy flavour.

Hollin Buss: I seem to remember reading somewhere that it just meant `Holly
Bush'. One gets the impression that the RSCDS just loves to preserve these
funny old titles. Yet why not !

"Tak care o' the bawbees laddie and they'll tak care o' you" (attributed to Sir
Harry Lauder, but probably much older)

Norman

Norman Bett
Cambridge UK

Tel: 01223-248988

Background info

Message 14696 · Dewdney Andrew · 20 Nov 1998 17:16:38 · Top

> >I am surprised that no one has come up with info about the Bawbee. It is
> simply the old Scots name for the halfpenny, 1/2d of course, not 1/2p ! I
> can
> remember a time when you could buy a stick of soft liquorice for a bawbee.
> I can
> still recollect the yummy flavour.

Is that no a wee song? Sittin' on yer mither's knee, waiting for a
wee bawbee, to buy some Coulter's Candy?

Background info

Message 14710 · Norman BETT · 21 Nov 1998 12:16:44 · Top

on 20 Nov 98, strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote...

>From Norman Bett

>> >I am surprised that no one has come up with info about the Bawbee. It is
>> simply the old Scots name for the halfpenny, 1/2d of course, not 1/2p !
>
>From Andrew Dewdney
>>
> Is that no a wee song? Sittin' on yer mither's knee, waiting for a
>wee bawbee, to buy some Coulter's Candy?

I hadn't forgotten that song, only the words. My mother used to sing it: Aly
Baly, Aly Baly Bee, Sittin' on .... etc. Strangely, I was given a copy of
Jimmy Macgregors song book just yesterday, and there it was ! He didn't compose
it of course but he certainly made it well known.

Norman

Norman Bett
Cambridge UK

Tel: 01223-248988

Greetin

Message 14719 · Ron.Mackey · 22 Nov 1998 22:02:06 · Top

> on 20 Nov 98, strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de wrote...
>
> From Norman Bett

> >> simply the old Scots name for the halfpenny, 1/2d of course, not 1/2p !
> >
> From Andrew Dewdney
> >>
> > Is that no a wee song? Sittin' on yer mither's knee, waiting for a
> >wee bawbee, to buy some Coulter's Candy?

Didn't think the word is 'waiting' should it not be 'greetin''
i.e. snivelling?
Cheers, Ron :)

< 0 Ron Mackey,
'O> Mottingham,