strathspey Archive: Drinks

Drinks

Message 13814 · Andrew Aitchison · 26 Oct 1998 14:59:44 · Top

Priscilla M. Burrage wrote:

> At the Saturday night ball, he thoughtfully plied Bobby Brown's band
> with refreshments and of course obtained one for himself at the same
> time. Nearly everyone on the dance floor that night was a
> teacher. The dance was White Heather Jig, and the last set was short
> one couple. I asked Stan Hamilton to dance with me to make up the
> set. When he put down his drink and said "Whatthehell," I assumed
> he was accepting my invitation graciously, with pleasure.

Without meaning to say anything about anybody's sobriety,
were these refreshments/drinks alcoholic ?

In my experience while an alcoholic bar is usual at most other types of
dance I've attended, it is the exception for a SCD dance or ball to have
alcohol available, and I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Are SCD dances and balls usually "dry" in other parts of the world ?

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna

Drinks

Message 13815 · Anselm Lingnau · 26 Oct 1998 15:32:10 · Top

Andrew Aitchison <A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> In my experience while an alcoholic bar is usual at most other types of
> dance I've attended, it is the exception for a SCD dance or ball to have
> alcohol available, and I've never heard anyone complain about it.

Earlier today I mentioned our annual ball, which takes place in a hall
that is part of a restaurant near Frankfurt. It turns out that the
proprietor always takes great pains to draw up an impressive wine list,
only to find that most of the dancers confine themselves to consuming
mineral water in prodigious amounts. There are a couple of bottles of
wine on the tables during dinner, but the proceeds from the drinks are
probably a lot less than during the typical wedding etc. :^)

When the meal at a ball (and German balls usually include a meal!) is
catered, there will be alcoholic drinks available as a matter of course,
but even when members of the inviting group prepare the meal by
themselves, often there will be bottled beer and/or glasses of wine
available. Some functions start with a reception where sherry or whisky
punch will be offered.

Having said that, the general consensus hereabouts seem to be that
Scottish dancing and alcohol don't mix all that well. Of course, this is
a decision that people take on a personal level. Incidentally, the same
goes for smoking; on the ball circuit the number of smokers is fairly
small, and I have been to 35-strong workshops with no smokers attending
at all. (In Germany, the relative number of smokers in the general
public is much higher than that.)

Anselm
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
-- William Connor Magee

Drinks

Message 13819 · Priscilla M. Burrage · 26 Oct 1998 17:01:40 · Top

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> Without meaning to say anything about anybody's sobriety,
> were these refreshments/drinks alcoholic ?
>
> In my experience while an alcoholic bar is usual at most other types of
> dance I've attended, it is the exception for a SCD dance or ball to have
> alcohol available, and I've never heard anyone complain about it.
>
> Are SCD dances and balls usually "dry" in other parts of the world ?

I think the answer to this question is Yes and No. Drinks may be
available, but the dancers and musicians usually don't have much that is
alcoholic to drink.

When we use a hall associated with a restaurant, conventions, or hotels,
the management usually set up a bar at one of the room. We tell them that
they won't get much business, and they don't believe us. On some rare
occasions, we have lost the ability to use a particular hall because the
management 'don't make enough money on us;' that is, we don't drinks
enough to enhance their profits.

At the TAC AGM I described, I know Stan was off-duty and drinking an
alcoholic substance. I have no idea what the band was drinking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage Vermont US
(pburrage@zoo.uvm.edu)

Drinks

Message 13821 · Dewdney Andrew · 26 Oct 1998 17:29:55 · Top

I tend to consider the alcohol issue from a medical perspective - energetic
dancing is dehydrating enough without the dessicating effects of a drink!
Mind you, a wee dram can help over come innate shyness, and help the dance
flow better....
Maybe it would help answer all the questions on clapping, fun, briefings
etc? After one notable end of year dinner, a certain dem team oozed its way
to a social dance, and the results did wonders for repairing the 'stuffy'
reputation of the dancers involved....

Andrew

Drinks

Message 13822 · Ian Price · 26 Oct 1998 17:41:28 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
>In my experience while an alcoholic bar is usual at most other types of
dance I've attended, it is the exception for a SCD dance or ball to have
alcohol available, and I've never heard anyone complain about it.<

Never met the Prices and never danced north of the Highland Line?

It's an unfortunate consequence that this 'feature' has helped to reduce
many fine social events to shadows of their former glories. Major hotel
managements are simply not prepared to forgo bar revenues which they can
obtain by booking a group into their main ballroom who dance at a
people-per-square-foot density of 1/10 of 'normal' folks. A small number =
of
us try to drink for all, but it can be tough keeping up :-)

Gleneagles Ball in Vancouver has been successively bumped from a Saturday=

night (ideal) to a Friday night (less convenient but do-able) and now to =
Sunday afternoon, in order to retain a 'proper' ballroom for what is
undoubtedly the premier SCD event in the Vancouver calendar. Fortunately,=

the Sunday afternoon timeslot was a success last year partly because
dancers were encouraged to set their mental clocks to Scottish time (8
hours ahead), which put the start of dancing at 'midnight' rather than 4p=
m.
There were still 200 tickets sold for the 180 (SCD) -dancer ballroom,
although the Vancouver Hotel would still prefer to see a 600 attendee
function (which the room is permitted to hold under Fire Marshal's
regulations) all having a slap-up dinner, an ocean of drink, and staying
overnight to sleep off the effects. =

Not a target market by comparison, are we? Yet it was only 15 years ago
that we used to take over the entire hotel for the Easter weekend, for ou=
Branch workshop.

-2chter

Da Rain Dancin'

Message 13825 · Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov · 26 Oct 1998 18:13:44 · Top

Would somebody be willing to send me the notes to Da Rain Dancin', by Ron
Wallace? I thought I had 'em and I can't find 'em.

Thanks in advance . . .

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, MN

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ If a rock falls on an egg
Lara Friedman~Shedlov Too bad, too bad for the egg
laradf@alumni.si.umich.edu If an egg falls on a rock
Too bad for the egg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Da Rain Dancin'

Message 13871 · Ron.Mackey · 28 Oct 1998 02:55:17 · Top

> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 11:14:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Lara D. Friedman~Shedlov" <laradf@si.umich.edu>
> To: strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
> Subject: Da Rain Dancin'

> Would somebody be willing to send me the notes to Da Rain Dancin', by Ron
> Wallace? I thought I had 'em and I can't find 'em.

DA RAIN DANCIN' by Ron Wallace - Whiteadder Col.
32R-3c A 164-3
1-4 1s dance NH down below 3s & cast to 2nd own.(2s up on 3 & 4)
4-8 All set & cross over giving RH. 9-12 1s dance up NH & cast to 2nd
pl. (opp. side still)
13-16 All set. 2s & 3s cross LH to own side as 1s turn LH to C1.
"BROKEN HELLO GOODBYE"
17-18 1s set to C1 (bar 17) then turn to face P.across the set (bar
18) 19-20 1s then turn RH to finish facing C2 21-22 1s set to C2 (bar
21) & turn to face P. up & dn.the set (bar 22) 23-24 1s turn RH to 2
place own sides. 25-32 Six hands round & back.

The dance was devised to fit the music. Moira Abernethy went to
research her family tree on Fetlar in the Shetlands. It poured
with rain all day and the tune was commissioned in remembrance,
which accounts for the Shetland idiom.

Cheers, Ron :)

< 0 Ron Mackey,
'O> Mottingham,
/#\ London. UK.
l>
Ron.Mackey@btinternet.com

Drinks

Message 13842 · Colleen Putt · 26 Oct 1998 23:26:10 · Top

> Are SCD dances and balls usually "dry" in other parts of the world ?
You remind me of a phenomenon we noticed a number of years ago, when we
had a "Teachers' Ball" (as in sponsored by, not attended exclusively by...)
complete with dinner and preprandial sherry, at a local hotel. The sherry
flowed quite freely, and there were a number of bottles of wine consumed by
people. The hotel staffed three bars for the dance itself, but two of them
closed because, once the dance started, they only sold the odd orange juice
and gave away lots and lots of ice water. One bartender commented that
"this type of dancing sure is dry".
When we booked the same function at the same hotel the following year, we
had to pay extra BECAUSE we didn't order as much booze as other functions.
Needless to say, we go elsewhere!

Cheers,
Colleen

Waverley String Players

Message 13843 · Etienne Ozorak · 26 Oct 1998 23:51:53 · Top

Hi,

Here's a shot in the dark. Has anyone ever heard of this group? They
recorded in the fifties -- an all string group playing SCD (the two
tracks that I have is "De'il Amang the Tailors" and "Up in the Air". The
latter is to die for.

Thanks,
Etienne

Drinks

Message 13900 · Pia · 28 Oct 1998 21:47:11 · Top

Na! We just drink before and after!!!!!!

pia

Dr Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> Are SCD dances and balls usually "dry" in other parts of the world ?
>
> Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
> A.C.Aitchison@dpmms.cam.ac.uk http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna

Drinks

Message 13939 · Marion Peutherer · 29 Oct 1998 20:10:08 · Top

>Na! We just drink before and after!!!!!! =

I made the mistake of trying to attend two functions on one night - the
annual company dinner and our University dance. We decided to go to the
dinner first (free food & drink) and then leave early enough to make the
last few dances. I didn't think I'd drunk very much, but when I was
invited to dance as soon as we arrived, I found the effects of alcohol di=
nothing to help my sense of direction. The less experienced dancers in =
my
set looked to me for help during the dance. I'd no idea which end of the=

room was which & needed more directing than they did! The class have
*never* let me forget it....

Marion Peutherer
Newcastle upon Tyne
England

Drinks

Message 13946 · Malcolm and Helen Brown · 29 Oct 1998 22:37:09 · Top

Marion wrote;

> I didn't think I'd drunk very much, but when I was
> invited to dance as soon as we arrived, I found the effects of alcohol did
> nothing to help my sense of direction.

Reminded me of a trip to France some years ago; during the day we all
did our own thing, but met up at the campsite at night with other
SCDers; after tea the organiser put on the tapes, and we all had a
jolly little dance - this particular night said organiser decided to
introduce us to Calvados (well we were in Brittany); first he offered
a glass to the each of the teenage girls in the next caravan, and
then a glass to Helen & me - I'm just trying to explain why I drank
4 glasses of calvados before attempting Mairis Wedding - forget all
that stuff about which shoulder do you pass, I was having problems
in locating my corners - not only didn't I know where they were, to
be perfectly honest I didn't even care!

Now I usually do my drinking after my dancing.

Malcolm
--
_ _
|_|_ |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) - m.brown@netcomuk.co.uk (Tir-Nan-Og)