strathspey Archive: Dance fees and new bands

Dance fees and new bands

Message 13728 · Chris Collin · 24 Oct 1998 08:37:50 · Top

Freeman & Pavey wrote:
> In our area of Eastern Ontario fees for SCD socials with recorded music
> are about $3.00 to $4.00 Cdn ($1.95 - $2.60 US , 1.12 - 1.50 UK). We
> are having a social in Maberly next month with a live group (a new trio)
> and are charging $12.00 ($7.80 US , 4.50 UK).

I'm not sure that people outside Ontario really appreciate the impact of
this message! Ontario is more than 3x larger than the entire UK, yet
there is only one main band (Bobby Brown and the Scottish Accent) that
will travel to perform at dances. (BTW - welcome Fred and Kathy to
Strathspey - two of the musicians in that band!) There are a few "one
man bands", and a band or two that only travel near their own hometown.
SCD bands are so scarce here that the Scottish Accent are regularly
asked to perform at least as far afield as Quebec, and several states in
the USA.

In my 15 years of dancing, 5 as a teacher, I have never even seen a
class with live music. There is plenty of Scottish music around - the
(arguably!) largest Highland games in the world takes place about 40
miles from Ottawa, and fiddling and piping are popular. But many
Scottish groups act in isolation from each other, mostly I suspect due
the large number of other ethnic groups that abound here.

The Maberly group is very new - less than 2 years old. They dance in a
very small area (Maberly population 40; Watson's Corners, 35), but are
perhaps the most dynamic group I have ever seen. To encourage a band
with such limited resources is very commendable. It seems they are
limited only by their drive and imagination!

> I think there is a general concensous that we would rather dance to
> (good) live music than canned because of the special ambiance of a live
> performance along with the added interaction between the dancers and the
> band.

Yes Cole, dancing to live music is always better, and I for one, wish to
congratulate you on your efforts in finding and developing a band for
SCD.

> Perhaps this just a lot of useless BS that has been thoroughly discussed
> before.

One of the advantages to being new is that you do not know what is
"impossible" yet. Go for it!

Chris Collin, Gloucester, Ontario, Canada

Dance fees and new bands

Message 13743 · Stan McKee · 24 Oct 1998 17:11:12 · Top

Chris Collin wrote:

> Freeman & Pavey wrote:
> > In our area of Eastern Ontario fees for SCD socials with recorded music
> > are about $3.00 to $4.00 Cdn ($1.95 - $2.60 US , 1.12 - 1.50 UK). We
> > are having a social in Maberly next month with a live group (a new trio)
> > and are charging $12.00 ($7.80 US , 4.50 UK).
>
> I'm not sure that people outside Ontario really appreciate the impact of
> this message! Ontario is more than 3x larger than the entire UK, yet
> there is only one main band (Bobby Brown and the Scottish Accent) that
> will travel to perform at dances. (BTW - welcome Fred and Kathy to
> Strathspey - two of the musicians in that band!) There are a few "one
> man bands", and a band or two that only travel near their own hometown.
> SCD bands are so scarce here that the Scottish Accent are regularly
> asked to perform at least as far afield as Quebec, and several states in
> the USA.
>
> In my 15 years of dancing, 5 as a teacher, I have never even seen a
> class with live music. There is plenty of Scottish music around - the
> (arguably!) largest Highland games in the world takes place about 40
> miles from Ottawa, and fiddling and piping are popular. But many
> Scottish groups act in isolation from each other, mostly I suspect due
> the large number of other ethnic groups that abound here.
>
> The Maberly group is very new - less than 2 years old. They dance in a
> very small area (Maberly population 40; Watson's Corners, 35), but are
> perhaps the most dynamic group I have ever seen. To encourage a band
> with such limited resources is very commendable. It seems they are
> limited only by their drive and imagination!
>
> > I think there is a general concensous that we would rather dance to
> > (good) live music than canned because of the special ambiance of a live
> > performance along with the added interaction between the dancers and the
> > band.
>
> Yes Cole, dancing to live music is always better, and I for one, wish to
> congratulate you on your efforts in finding and developing a band for
> SCD.
>
> > Perhaps this just a lot of useless BS that has been thoroughly discussed
> > before.
>
> One of the advantages to being new is that you do not know what is
> "impossible" yet. Go for it!
>
> Chris Collin, Gloucester, Ontario, Canada
>
> --
> Chris Collin <collin@mondenet.com>

I just have to jump in !

As an accordion player ( frequently solo) and living in Lindsay, Ontario
travel more than just near my "own hometown" to play for SCD Dances,
Socials, Demos, etc. And I have played, and still do play, for many
classes
in many areas of Ontario.

The fact that SCD groups are "in isolation from each other" is perhaps
arguable, but even if it is true there is no real excuse for groups not
making the attempt to have real musicians play for as many of their
functions as possible. I have seen through the years (aye, decades!) the
remakable difference in enjoyment levels achieved by groups so doing.

To group leaders and Committees I'd say "Go on - ask a musician what he
or
she can do to help you get the group more enthused". Many musicians get
their "kicks" from playing for live dancers, and the "reverberation"
effect
of fun from musicians to dancers and vice-versa increases as the dances
progress. And I am willing to travel to do just that !

"SOUNDS SCOTTISH"

Stan McKee

Dance fees and new bands

Message 13752 · Freeman/Pavey · 24 Oct 1998 20:43:42 · Top

Chris Collin wrote:

> It seems they are
> limited only by their drive and imagination!

Pretty heady stuff! Thanks for the compliments.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Dance fees and new bands

Message 13753 · Freeman/Pavey · 24 Oct 1998 20:44:26 · Top

Chris Collin wrote:

> In my 15 years of dancing, 5 as a teacher, I have never even seen a
> class with live music.

You should have been in Kitchener/Waterloo last night then (only a 600
km drive), because Ross and his new group were playing for Elizabeth
Nurse's class in preparation for the November 15th gig in Maberly.

Cole
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Dance fees and new bands

Message 13849 · Gerry Gray · 27 Oct 1998 01:48:21 · Top

Chris Collin wrote:

> In my 15 years of dancing, 5 as a teacher, I have never even seen a
> class with live music.

I don't know if they still are, but Don Bartlett and Elma Grech used to play
(within the last 15 years) for classes in Toronto. I seem to recall Fred
Noyes(?) playing in Hamilton and another accordion player, whose name escapes
me, playing occassionally at the Bloorlea group. I even have a memorable
recollection of a 'Berkely Player' style big band playing a Trinity College
function. If I am not mistaken, this band included Bob Waugh on the 'mouthie'

- Gerry

live music in class

Message 13793 · D. Shaw · 25 Oct 1998 20:38:03 · Top

Chris Collin wrote from Ontario:
> In my 15 years of dancing, 5 as a teacher, I have never even seen a class
with live music. <

In my 15 years of dancing, I hadn't either -- until last week! The Raleigh
(North Carolina) Scottish Country Dancers class now has live music: piano
and fiddle. If my knee will behave, it looks like I'll be fighting the I-40
traffic on a more regular basis in the future.

Y'all come. Class is Monday evenings, 7:30 to 9:30, on the auditorium stage
at Martin Middle School on Ridge Road.

Oh, yeah.

Here's my 10-second brief for a certain popular slow jig:

circle left, women's figure, promenade, head couples lead, reverse to Oz

And here's its one-second brief:

palindrome

Cheers,
Deborah

live music in class

Message 13803 · George Gates · 26 Oct 1998 05:59:01 · Top

Greetings,

I am proud to say that the Berkeley class of the San Francisco Branch
has live music every Friday night for both our beginners and
intermediate classes. We are fortunate to have some wonderful musicians
who play for us. Always a violin, but on occasion we have joining that
player a pianoist, or an accordian player. We are blessed