strathspey Archive: Re:Using Irish Tunes/ Was Beginners/Explaining Music

Re:Using Irish Tunes/ Was Beginners/Explaining Music

Message 13542 · James R. Ferguson · 20 Oct 1998 06:45:37 · Top

Then there are some Irish music lovers, like me, that find themselves singing the words
to the tunes while my "Scottish" feet do the SCD steps! Donna

John Chambers wrote:

> | Regarding dances fitting music, unfortunately there are very few tunes that
> | have an ABBA pattern.
>
> One source of a lot of tunes in this form is Ireland. There are a lot
> of Irish ballads that will work as dance tunes, typically either
> march or jig rhythms. For example, Roddy McCorley is a well-known
> tune in this form. Consult any book of Irish songs for lots of other
> examples. Of course, you'll have to play them at SCD tempo rather
> than ballad tempo, but thats usually not much of a stretch. (The
> dancers don't have to know that you're using Irish tunes. ;-)
>
> X: 1
> T: Roddy McCorley
> O: Trad
> M: 4/4
> L: 1/4
> K: D
> de [| "D"f2 ef | A2 de | "Bm"f3 e | d3 c | "G"B2 d2 | "A7"d2 e2 | "D"d4- | d2 |]
> fg |: "D"a2 a2 | a2 fa | "G"b2 b2 | "D"a2 fe | "Bm"d2 B2 | "Em"g3 f | "A7"e4- | e2 :|
> de [| "D"f2 ef | A2 de | "Bm"f3 e | d3 c | "G"B2 d2 | "A7"d2 e2 | "D"d4- | d2 |]
>
> --
> John Chambers <jc@minya.ne.mediaone.net>

Re:Using Irish Tunes/ Was Beginners/Explaining Music

Message 13543 · Ian Price · 20 Oct 1998 11:38:15 · Top

Message text written by INTERNET:strathspey@tm.informatik.uni-frankfurt.d=
>Then there are some Irish music lovers, like me, that find themselves
singing the words
to the tunes while my "Scottish" feet do the SCD steps! Donna<

Good for you!

Last time out, four of my fiddlers surprised me by jumping to their feet =
in
the middle of the Irish Rover set and playing 'Holy Ground' AND 'Kelly th=
Boy from Killan' on TIN WHISTLES FOR CHRISSAKES!

Life is not dull ....

-2chter