strathspey Archive: RSCDS clapping!

RSCDS clapping!

Message 13461 · Dewdney Andrew · 15 Oct 1998 14:08:22 · Top

Pia,
Well, not QUITE what I meant. I've been a member from the very
moment they would have me, ie 16th birthday 11 years ago. Before that, of
course, in their books, I was too young and unable to do Strathspeys. The
fact that I was a dancer in the Southport RSCDS dem team from the age of
twelve had nothing to do with it! Thing is, I guess I'm tired of it! When
I was a student, running the OUSDS, HQ wouldn't really encourage anything so
fun. In fact, my father (Tony Dewdney) used to give everyone a hard time at
AGMs about 10 years ago on children, they even got as far as setting up a
committee to look into it with him as chairman. Then, due to circumstances
beyond his control, he couldn't make the first meeting. So, the whole thing
was killed off. About 1989 or so, I think. Why? Complete lack of
interest. At the time he had both offspring actively running student
groups. Some sort of group membership would have been nice. No chance!
Maybe this attitude has changed, I hope it has. I hate being a hard bitten
cynic at my tender age! I know the UKAPTD approached the RSCDS on several
occasions to collaborate on children's classes and medals. I believe the
response was less than constructive! They are doing something now, aren't
they? I know London is involved in something.
Please tell me its improved! Thing is, I know there are enlightened
RSCDS branches out there, I could name several, if I couldn't, I'd have
stopped dancing long ago!
But hey! I love dancing and yep, I grin hugely when it's fun! And
I can't stand still when the music starts. So why doesn't everybody do
it!!!!!!!!
Andrew Dewdney

RSCDS clapping!

Message 13520 · Pia · 19 Oct 1998 17:09:21 · Top

Dewdney Andrew wrote:

> Pia,
> Well, not QUITE what I meant. I've been a member from the very
> moment they would have me, ie 16th birthday 11 years ago. Before that, of
> course, in their books, I was too young and unable to do Strathspeys. The
> fact that I was a dancer in the Southport RSCDS dem team from the age of
> twelve had nothing to do with it! Thing is, I guess I'm tired of it! When
> I was a student, running the OUSDS, HQ wouldn't really encourage anything so
> fun. In fact, my father (Tony Dewdney) used to give everyone a hard time at
> AGMs about 10 years ago on children, they even got as far as setting up a
> committee to look into it with him as chairman. Then, due to circumstances
> beyond his control, he couldn't make the first meeting. So, the whole thing
> was killed off. About 1989 or so, I think. Why? Complete lack of
> interest. At the time he had both offspring actively running student
> groups. Some sort of group membership would have been nice. No chance!
> Maybe this attitude has changed, I hope it has. I hate being a hard bitten
> cynic at my tender age! I know the UKAPTD approached the RSCDS on several
> occasions to collaborate on children's classes and medals. I believe the
> response was less than constructive! They are doing something now, aren't
> they? I know London is involved in something.
> Please tell me its improved! Thing is, I know there are enlightened
> RSCDS branches out there, I could name several, if I couldn't, I'd have
> stopped dancing long ago!
> But hey! I love dancing and yep, I grin hugely when it's fun! And
> I can't stand still when the music starts. So why doesn't everybody do
> it!!!!!!!!
> Andrew Dewdney

If you don't mind I'm going to print out your message and forward it onto
the PR and marketing committee at our next meeting. Let's see if we
cannot together change things.

And by the way who ever said Romance was easy!!!!!!!!

Yours in fun

Pia

RSCDS clapping!

Message 13524 · J. Stewart Cunningham · 19 Oct 1998 18:06:38 · Top

Its worth a try - Go for it!!!!!!!!!
Yes, I'd like to change things but for the better. I think that the
Strategic Planning Committee has a golden opportunity to do this
sensitively but they should consider the input from all members
worldwide. My worry is that they will miss the opportunity.

pia walker wrote:

> Dewdney Andrew wrote:
> >
> > Pia,
> > Well, not QUITE what I meant. I've been a member from the very
> > moment they would have me, ie 16th birthday 11 years ago. Before that, of
> > course, in their books, I was too young and unable to do Strathspeys. The
> > fact that I was a dancer in the Southport RSCDS dem team from the age of
> > twelve had nothing to do with it! Thing is, I guess I'm tired of it! When
> > I was a student, running the OUSDS, HQ wouldn't really encourage anything so
> > fun. In fact, my father (Tony Dewdney) used to give everyone a hard time at
> > AGMs about 10 years ago on children, they even got as far as setting up a
> > committee to look into it with him as chairman. Then, due to circumstances
> > beyond his control, he couldn't make the first meeting. So, the whole thing
> > was killed off. About 1989 or so, I think. Why? Complete lack of
> > interest. At the time he had both offspring actively running student
> > groups. Some sort of group membership would have been nice. No chance!
> > Maybe this attitude has changed, I hope it has. I hate being a hard bitten
> > cynic at my tender age! I know the UKAPTD approached the RSCDS on several
> > occasions to collaborate on children's classes and medals. I believe the
> > response was less than constructive! They are doing something now, aren't
> > they? I know London is involved in something.
> > Please tell me its improved! Thing is, I know there are enlightened
> > RSCDS branches out there, I could name several, if I couldn't, I'd have
> > stopped dancing long ago!
> > But hey! I love dancing and yep, I grin hugely when it's fun! And
> > I can't stand still when the music starts. So why doesn't everybody do
> > it!!!!!!!!
> > Andrew Dewdney

Message 13527 · Dewdney Andrew · 19 Oct 1998 18:37:09 · Top

Which committee exactly? To be honest, I think I'd rather put a
more coherent argument together, unless you really think that as it stands,
it's acceptable?
But yes, lets see if things can be improved! I know there are lots
of people out there who would agree.

And as for Romance?!!! I would NEVER say that was easy !!!! Does
Strathspey have a lonely hearts page?

Andrew

RSCDS clapping!

Message 13528 · Anselm Lingnau · 19 Oct 1998 18:47:26 · Top

Andrew Dewdney <Andrew.Dewdney@med.siemens.de> writes:

> Does Strathspey have a lonely hearts page?

No, but we have The Starry-Eyed Lassie, The Gentleman and The Rakes Of
Glasgow (among others). Also Kisses come reasonably priced (For A
Ha'penny or even For Nothing) (Under The Stairs or elsewhere?), even if
it all ends with `Adieu Mon Ami' and not The Honeymoon. C'est L'Amour!

Anselm
Setting too good an example is a kind of slander seldom forgiven.
-- Benjamin Franklin

RSCDS clapping!

Message 13531 · Pia · 19 Oct 1998 20:06:55 · Top

Hi Anslem

You forgot that we have Flirts as well